The Student Room Group

I realised "next gen" consoles were well behind on the tech...

...but I didn't realise just how far behind they are.
[video="youtube;tYG-7T2LVDc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYG-7T2LVDc[/video]
Basically, they took a flagship GPU that is MORE THAN FOUR YEARS OLD and changed the frequency on it just to show how far behind the consoles are, using Watch_Dogs High preset to test it. Underclocking the GPU from 700MHz to 405MHz (which was the lowest they managed to get it) they still managed to achieve a better frame rate at 792p than the xbox one.

Scroll to see replies

While I knew they weren't that great (hence my reluctance to buy an Xbox One), I didn't know the exact specs on them, just all my friends doing some kind of computer science course immediately noticed just how far behind they are and, not to mention drop dead ugly...

So, for now I'll just stick to my 360 and PC gaming until the next console comes out, or, at least another year until the consoles have halved in price...
If Sony had made an updated version of the Cell for the PS4 we might have have had some ordinary-looking early third party looking games again but at least Naughty Dog's games would have looked very different. The next Uncharted game just looks like Tomb Raider's engine.
Well I'm still wondering when Microsoft will announce their next-gen gaming console, then I might be interested. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by AstroNandos
Well I'm still wondering when Microsoft will announce their next-gen gaming console, then I might be interested. :rolleyes:

Do people seriously still try using that line?
Original post by Jammy Duel
Do people seriously still try using that line?

Well, what has changed since people started using that line?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by addylad
Well, what has changed since people started using that line?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sony fanboys should have grown up a year or so?
Meh, if you didn't know and you brought the crap they sold you, then you're simply a degenerate (by the way holdin' back for the price also fits in here).

Consoles need the graphical power of at least a gtx 690 to be somethin' to boast about.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Sony fanboys should have grown up a year or so?

I was actually referring to old tech.

But your butthurtedness does not change the facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Don't care about graphics that much, happy with my Wii U tbh. Plus Kingdom Hearts 3, Zelda etc will not come out on PC
Original post by addylad
I was actually referring to old tech.

But your butthurtedness does not change the facts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By that logic, when was the last time anybody made a gaming console?
Original post by plusC
Don't care about graphics that much, happy with my Wii U tbh. Plus Kingdom Hearts 3, Zelda etc will not come out on PC

This is a thread about next gen consoles. :teehee:

:ninja: I want a Wii U :ninja:
Yeah I know all of the next gen (well current gen now) consoles are all well behind when compared with a top end gaming PC but I'm more than happy with my Wii U. The first reason being I have been a Nintendo gamer since I started playing games, all the core franchises are superbly made. Secondly I wouldn't know where to start with building a custom PC and then having to spend money every couple of years upgrading various parts of the PC to keep it top end.
Reply 13
Original post by mikeyd85

:teehee: oh you... But I will be getting a PS4 when Kingdom Hearts 3 is set for release, yep buying a console like that for one game, that's how I roll.

Go get one then, when smash bros comes out I swear its going to be hard not to get addicted!
Original post by mikeyd85

I fully advise you to go and buy one then! Or wait for the inevitable Wii U/Smash Bros bundle that will release at some point, probably be a great price as well.
I'm becoming more and more tempted to build a gaming PC these days. Have never been a PC gamer, and have been playing Xbox for years now - but besides new Halo releases, I can't really form any argument in buying an XBox One just yet. For console games I may just stick with my Wii U for the foreseeable future.
Original post by plusC
:teehee: oh you... But I will be getting a PS4 when Kingdom Hearts 3 is set for release, yep buying a console like that for one game, that's how I roll.

Go get one then, when smash bros comes out I swear its going to be hard not to get addicted!

Hell, I bought a PS3 for The Last of Us.

Original post by Robbo-92
I fully advise you to go and buy one then! Or wait for the inevitable Wii U/Smash Bros bundle that will release at some point, probably be a great price as well.

Don't have the cash to do so after buying a new gaming rig. Will get a WiiU when there's an Ultimate Mario Bundle with all the Mario platformers, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. :yep:
Original post by Mushi_master
I'm becoming more and more tempted to build a gaming PC these days. Have never been a PC gamer, and have been playing Xbox for years now - but besides new Halo releases, I can't really form any argument in buying an XBox One just yet. For console games I may just stick with my Wii U for the foreseeable future.

Step forward into the light and let the Lord GabeN cleanse you of your sins.
What do you expect for a £350 computer that needs to run potentially for years without a crash?
First of all it's not next-gen anymore it is current-gen. Secondly, most people don't have the time, expertise or money to buy a gaming PC. Thirdly not many people are that fussed about how powerful it is, as long it can play game at a reasonable resolution and frame rate what is the issue?

Goddamn PC fanboys.

Quick Reply

Latest