The Student Room Group

What college's are you all attending?

Share the college you hope to be going to in September and the course/A-levels that you want to do!

College:

Course:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't really want to put that on here but:

Independent College in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire.

Course:

AS Levels in History, Biology, Philosophy and English Literature
A2 Levels in History, English Literature and Philosophy
Reply 2
Original post by JayJay-C19
I don't really want to put that on here but:

Independent College in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire.

Course:

AS Levels in History, Biology, Philosophy and English Literature
A2 Levels in History, English Literature and Philosophy

Ahh nice :smile: & don't worry that's completely understandable.. I wish you all the best with your future studies though!
I will be taking History, Biology, Chemistry and Maths, hopefully.
But is it weird that I can't decide between Solihull Sixth Form College and King Edwards Camp Hill Sixth Form? :confused:
Southwell Minster Sixth Form.

Physics, chemistry, maths and further maths.
Reply 5
I'm already at sixth form:

But I go to Driffield Sixth Form in Yorkshire & will be doing A2 Sociology, English Language, Travel & Tourism & Media hopefully depending on results day
Reply 6
Original post by AfiyahNadeem
I will be taking History, Biology, Chemistry and Maths, hopefully.
But is it weird that I can't decide between Solihull Sixth Form College and King Edwards Camp Hill Sixth Form? :confused:

I haven't heard of either of them, but I would go to the one which you know has the best pass rate and has a good reputation, but also the one which you felt the most comfortable and welcomed in when you went for an open day (if you did that is). Ask around, some may have some opinions on both places. The college that I chose had the best pass rate and I felt very comfortable there even though it is pretty far compared to college's near me.
Reply 7
Original post by iJess
I'm already at sixth form:

But I go to Driffield Sixth Form in Yorkshire & will be doing A2 Sociology, English Language, Travel & Tourism & Media hopefully depending on results day

How are you finding sixth form?
Reply 8
Original post by easyastau
Southwell Minster Sixth Form.

Physics, chemistry, maths and further maths.

My friend is doing maths and futher maths as well. Just a question, why is it that you picked both maths and futher maths? Why didn't you just pick futher maths? I've always wondered why people do both.
Original post by funkydee19
My friend is doing maths and futher maths as well. Just a question, why is it that you picked both maths and futher maths? Why didn't you just pick futher maths? I've always wondered why people do both.

You have to do maths to do further maths because further is an extension on maths. Eg. in maths you may do the first statistics module (S1) then in further maths do the second (S2). Further is basically just more maths, hence further maths.
Original post by easyastau
You have to do maths to do further maths because further is an extension on maths. Eg. in maths you may do the first statistics module (S1) then in further maths do the second (S2). Further is basically just more maths, hence further maths.

Ahh makes sense :smile: all the best with your studies
I haven't heard of either of them, but I would go to the one which you know has the best pass rate and has a good reputation, but also the one which you felt the most comfortable and welcomed in when you went for an open day (if you did that is). Ask around, some may have some opinions on both places. The college that I chose had the best pass rate and I felt very comfortable there even though it is pretty far compared to college's near me.

Solihull sixth form is generally your average college, no dress code quite good pass rate, don't offer general studies or critical thinking. I'm assuming that there will be students of all abilities, which I prefer because theres more diversity. I've already been to the induction, very chill atmosphere, teachers and students were friendly, warm and welcoming. The teachers were very enthusiastic about their subject which helped me during the taster sessions. This college is further away from me than Camp Hill.

Whereas Camp Hill is a sixth form in the sense that its joined to a secondary school, has a strict dress code and offers general studies/critical thinking which I don't like because I would rather concentrate purely for on A levels. I went to induction today, taster sessions were not great I expected more from them because they're a grammar school, teachers quite mean, external and internal students didn't mix so I found it difficult to speak to others. Teachers were very unenthusiastic which also put me off. Very good pass rate as its a selective grammar therefore I don't feel its as diverse.

I don't know what to do or which one to go to because even though Camp Hill is great academically I don't want to miss on all the fun societies at Solihull, vice versa :confused:
Reply 12
How are you finding sixth form?

I absolutely love it, gutted I'll be leaving for summer this week but we have a summer bbq with bouncy castle which should be fun. I did 5 AS's for year 12 though and definitely will be making my work load easier for next year and only doing 4. Are you looking forward to sixth form? :smile:
Share the college you hope to be going to in September and the course/A-levels that you want to do!

College:
City and Islington College HSCC (Health,Social, & Child Care)

Course:
CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education :biggrin:

H, I am doing this course in september too, its great to see you are.
just wondered whether you ever felt like you SHOULD do A levels as that is all that seems to be talked about?
Also I juxt wondered what gcse grades you are hoping for and if you did child development (if you don't mind me asking? )
Original post by AfiyahNadeem
Solihull sixth form is generally your average college, no dress code quite good pass rate, don't offer general studies or critical thinking. I'm assuming that there will be students of all abilities, which I prefer because theres more diversity. I've already been to the induction, very chill atmosphere, teachers and students were friendly, warm and welcoming. The teachers were very enthusiastic about their subject which helped me during the taster sessions. This college is further away from me than Camp Hill.

Whereas Camp Hill is a sixth form in the sense that its joined to a secondary school, has a strict dress code and offers general studies/critical thinking which I don't like because I would rather concentrate purely for on A levels. I went to induction today, taster sessions were not great I expected more from them because they're a grammar school, teachers quite mean, external and internal students didn't mix so I found it difficult to speak to others. Teachers were very unenthusiastic which also put me off. Very good pass rate as its a selective grammar therefore I don't feel its as diverse.

I don't know what to do or which one to go to because even though Camp Hill is great academically I don't want to miss on all the fun societies at Solihull, vice versa :confused:

This is only me but I would go for the Solihull one, the learning environment seems good, although it is futher and the Camp Hill ones seems more academic.. tbh go for the one where you know you will acheieve the grades you want. You dont want to go to the really academic school and end up failing because it is just not your type of place. A good university will still accept you as long as you have the right grades. If they are both good colleges I would still go for the first one :biggrin:
Original post by iJess
I absolutely love it, gutted I'll be leaving for summer this week but we have a summer bbq with bouncy castle which should be fun. I did 5 AS's for year 12 though and definitely will be making my work load easier for next year and only doing 4. Are you looking forward to sixth form? :smile:

Ahh sounds like fun :tongue: enjoy it, and I hope you get the results you want :smile:
I am looking forward to seeing what its like,tbh im enjoying my summer too much to think of it but is a change I am ready for a and deffo looking forward to starting my course :biggrin:
Original post by morrisseymarr97
H, I am doing this course in september too, its great to see you are.
just wondered whether you ever felt like you SHOULD do A levels as that is all that seems to be talked about?
Also I juxt wondered what gcse grades you are hoping for and if you did child development (if you don't mind me asking? )

Finally someone doing this course!! Everyone seems to be doing A-levels. Tbh no I haven't. I have been told I'm probably capable and I dont doubt that but I am set on what I want for the future and that is to start off as a nursery nurse then to work my way up to a higher position. And I know after doing my level 3 childcare course I will be qualified to do so. Tbh I feel Btec is a good option if you definatly know what you want to do and the course will get you there. If the Level 3 is deffo what you want to do dont feel forced to do a-levels and then regret it after. But then again keep your options open just in case.
I only need 4 c's but im hoping to get 2A mostly B's and a couple C's also hoping to get 4 distinctions for my btec.
& nah, I did the btec firsts level 2 diploma in health and social care :smile:
I already go to Newcastle Under Lyme College. (NULC for short)

In my AS year I took Maths, English Literature, History and Law.
Next year I hope so continue with Maths, History and Law, although one maths exam of three went horribly, and i'm not too sure how my history grade will turn out because there was a 40mark question on a topic our teacher didnt actually teach us :/ And my colloge arent doing any resits, so there's that too...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by All-rounder
I already go to Newcastle Under Lyme College. (NULC for short)

In my AS year I took Maths, English Literature, History and Law.
Next year I hope so continue with Maths, History and Law, although one maths exam of three went horribly, and i'm not too sure how my history grade will turn out because there was a 40mark question on a topic our teacher didnt actually teach us :/ And my colloge arent doing any resits, so there's that too...

Ahhh.. I do hopw you get the grades you want maybe the other marks from the other maths exams you sat will be able to push up the grade. Don't beat yourself up for it though, as long as you know you tried your best you can only be satisfied with your best. I know that your teacher didnt teach you the 40 marker which is a real downfall on his/her part, but I do hope you still do well. Try not to worry too much about it till your results come, im sure if they are 'bad' your college will have to make some sort of a compromise because it will reflect on them.. they should let you resit really..
Ahhh.. I do hopw you get the grades you want maybe the other marks from the other maths exams you sat will be able to push up the grade. Don't beat yourself up for it though, as long as you know you tried your best you can only be satisfied with your best. I know that your teacher didnt teach you the 40 marker which is a real downfall on his/her part, but I do hope you still do well. Try not to worry too much about it till your results come, im sure if they are 'bad' your college will have to make some sort of a compromise because it will reflect on them.. they should let you resit really..

With any luck they'll change their opinions on resitting. I dont want to resit the entire year or entire courses, just two individual exams that went badly due to circumstances. I may be able to work some linguistical magic with them haha either way it just means I'll have to work especially hard in the second year to push my grades up enough to get into my preferred Uni

Quick Reply

Latest