The Student Room Group

Michael Gove axed as Education Secretary

Michael Gove has been demoted from Education Secretary to Chief Whip - he has been in the role for 5 years and made a number of controversial changes to the structure of GCSEs and A-levels which have been unpopular with teachers.

David Cameron has announced on his Twitter that he's become Chief Whip.

Breaking right now. What do you make of the decision to remove perhaps the most controversial Education Secretary in British political history?

UPDATE: Nicky Morgan, the former Minister for Women, has replaced Gove as Cameron looks to introduce more women into his cabinet. However, her only experience in education has been working with Universities Minister David Willetts.

Michael Gove was active in the role right up until his last day, having yesterday announced changes to the style GCSE PE, A-level Maths and A-level modern languages.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Strange. He's been doing (good-ish?) work in GCSE / A level reform. I suppose he initiated the change - there's not much left for him to do. Also, when Michael Gove and Theresa May argue, May will always come off best. That dispute didn't do him any favours.
Thank goodness!
Reply 3
A bad decision.

While their were some wrong calls, he was pushing us in the right direction.
Its a good move from Cameron, people were truly getting hysterical in their hatred of him. It wasn't even focused on the policy for the most part, people were ripping apart the man, shifting him behind the scenes will take the heat out of the opposition to the education reforms, as Gove provided a great hate figure.

Oh and good riddance, he was a prat.
Ah. Well, it's a politically correct swap there. Bringing in a woman - for show? For quotas? To discard the 'white middle class man' image?
Original post by Rakas21
A bad decision.

While their were some wrong calls, he was pushing us in the right direction.

So what, that politics isn't about doing the 'right' thing (that being your definition of it not mine) - its about gaining power and Gove was too unpopular, axe him, next. Good move.
Reply 7
Original post by Pussy Galore
Its a good move from Cameron, people were truly getting hysterical in their hatred of him. It wasn't even focused on the policy for the most part, people were ripping apart the man, shifting him behind the scenes will take the heat out of the opposition to the education reforms, as Gove provided a great hate figure.

Oh and good riddance, he was a prat.

But only the NUT and students hated him, two groups the Tories really don't need to win.

Among Tories and parents he was not unpopular.
Original post by Rakas21
But only the NUT and students hated him, two groups the Tories really don't need to win.

Among Tories and parents he was not unpopular.

No because it was damaging the grass roots base, sure students don't like the tory party but as a whole they don't LOATHE it, Gove was LOATHED, he was shunning people from an early age away from the tory party as he provided such an easy hate figure for people to unload their emotions.
Reply 9
Reply 10
There is a god!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure how I feel, I hate the man but at least he was trying to get the rigorous nature of our education system back :erm:
Reply 12
This move has come way to late. Education will continue to favour those higher up. Unless Morgan takes drastic actions, which she won't
Shrewed move by Cameron. He knows Gove is costing him quite a lot of votes. As much as I didn't like the man, his motives not necessarily his methods were pursuing much needed reform in the education sector.
Teaching is an exceptionally left wing profession. They will never be happy with a Conservative teaching minister until they reduce the teaching day from mid day until 1, on days beginning with M in months beginning with D.
Original post by Slowbro93
Not sure how I feel, I hate the man but at least he was trying to get the rigorous nature of our education system back :erm:

How old are you?

edit: did you experience this rigorous education you're talking about?
(edited 9 years ago)
Geography teacher just stopped the lesson to celebrate this news.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I bet TSR will have a party now, most people here hate his guts.
My wax effigy worked after all...
I doubt this will really change anything in terms of the Tory's approach to educational reform.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending