The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Film & TV Production 2014/2015 freshers

Hey! Thought i'd create a thread for those starting Film & TV in Lincoln this coming September as i couldn't find one as of yet.

I'm (technically) a 2nd year at Lincoln, having just completed my first doing Creative Advertising there but i decided to change courses as i didn't enjoy it and will be starting again as a fresher in September.

Excited to start!

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Film & TV! I haven't seen anyone post about it at all until now!
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Vote4Number6
I'm doing Film & TV! I haven't seen anyone post about it at all until now!

Hooray, someone else!! I know, neither have i!
Been on here for months and this is the first I've heard of anyone doing anything similar! How is it that those of us studying to go into the most in your face industry have been keeping so quiet? :P

I had Film and TV down for my insurance but, because I kept track of my BTEC grades, I know I'm going to be doing my first choice of Media Production (I want to be more of a Jack of All Trades). However, from what I hear and read, there a lot of overlap and collaboration in the courses anyway! You got any practical experience or is this your first foray?
Yeah from the Applicant Visit i went to, it seemed like the two courses do overlap and you do end up working with each other.

And yep, luckily my college had a Film Studies course so we got to study and make films :smile: What about you?
Reply 5
Hi all! I'm Wade Baverstock, A third year Media Production Student and I am the School Representative for LSM. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to drop me a message on here, facebook, or to [email protected] !

I'll be starting up a Facebook group soon for you all to get into and start chatting to one another, but it's great to see this already happening! All the best!
Yeah from the Applicant Visit i went to, it seemed like the two courses do overlap and you do end up working with each other.

And yep, luckily my college had a Film Studies course so we got to study and make films :smile: What about you?

Yeah, I went to the first one they did for this academic year, which was a while ago now, I'm glad my memory held up!

I've got two years of Level 3 Creative Media Prod BTEC projects under my belt aside from those I've co-directed a short with BFI Film Academy, made some radio and video promos for the council and local charities, Shot a 90 second short for a festival and a few other things here and there but, I feel like this is starting to sound like a badly written CV. So I'll stop now. :L
Original post by itsdiddlingtime
Yeah, I went to the first one they did for this academic year, which was a while ago now, I'm glad my memory held up!

I've got two years of Level 3 Creative Media Prod BTEC projects under my belt aside from those I've co-directed a short with BFI Film Academy, made some radio and video promos for the council and local charities, Shot a 90 second short for a festival and a few other things here and there but, I feel like this is starting to sound like a badly written CV. So I'll stop now. :L

Hahah very nice! Hopefully we get to collaborate at some point :smile:
Reply 8
Been on here for months and this is the first I've heard of anyone doing anything similar! How is it that those of us studying to go into the most in your face industry have been keeping so quiet? :P

I had Film and TV down for my insurance but, because I kept track of my BTEC grades, I know I'm going to be doing my first choice of Media Production (I want to be more of a Jack of All Trades). However, from what I hear and read, there a lot of overlap and collaboration in the courses anyway! You got any practical experience or is this your first foray?

I know there's like hardly any of us! I even tweeted the uni like 'Is anyone actually doing the course too or.....I can't find anyone!' :P I've had some experience with my previous course as we made a short film and last year i was part of the BFI Film Academy at a local cinema in which we made a short film. You?

My friend does Media Production (going into 2nd year in sept though) and she says we often have lectures together :smile:
Reply 9
Also if any of you guys wanna know about like Lincoln life or accommodation, i've not long moved out of Courts and this year ill be going into a house with friends, so feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by EmmyLauren
I know there's like hardly any of us!

Considering how respected Lincoln are meant to be for Film and Media teaching it is kinda weird not to see more about...
I think I've seen a total of 7 across Facebook, Twitter and TSR! :P

I'm a BFI Film Academy veteran too! I did it with the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. Even took our short to a festival in Warsaw!
Other than that i've done a few promos and ads, music videos for friends bands and some other shorts and sketches and whatnot.

And honestly, all I'd like to know about Lincoln life is where to get good chinese or indian takeaway. I've been a little bit spoilt by how great my local high street is for decent cheap food. >.>
Also if any of you guys wanna know about like Lincoln life or accommodation, i've not long moved out of Courts and this year ill be going into a house with friends, so feel free to ask! :smile:

Oh I think it's pretty possible that I'm gonna be living in Courts too in September so I'd definitely like to know your opinion on it! :smile:
Reply 12
Oh I think it's pretty possible that I'm gonna be living in Courts too in September so I'd definitely like to know your opinion on it! :smile:

I really liked it! Really sociable because you're so close to hundreds of people all in the same boat and in a great location for the campus and city centre. Your room and kitchen/living area entirely depends on your Court. I was put in 16 and it was one of the newest ones so the kitchen was massive and pretty modern whereas 1-5 can be a bit dingy (but there are rumours of refurbishment). What i would say, and everybody seemed to have a problem with them, is look out for silverfish. They live in the carpet and bathroom so hoover as much as you can, bleach the bathroom and the leave the bathroom light on otherwise you can get quite a few but it just depends how much you care really. Im quite squeamish! Other than that, really enjoyable experience and met so many friends!
Reply 13
Considering how respected Lincoln are meant to be for Film and Media teaching it is kinda weird not to see more about...
I think I've seen a total of 7 across Facebook, Twitter and TSR! :P

I'm a BFI Film Academy veteran too! I did it with the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. Even took our short to a festival in Warsaw!
Other than that i've done a few promos and ads, music videos for friends bands and some other shorts and sketches and whatnot.

And honestly, all I'd like to know about Lincoln life is where to get good chinese or indian takeaway. I've been a little bit spoilt by how great my local high street is for decent cheap food. >.>

Whey, big up BFI! I don't know what happened with our short, we were an odd bunch and none us seemed to get on so it was proper awkward, more of a 'lets just get on with it' kind of thing :l Happy with the results, maybe not so much the experience. But congrats on the festival!

I've never had an Indian as they're all quite expensive but Magic Wok does a good, and cheap, Chinese :wink:
I really liked it! Really sociable because you're so close to hundreds of people all in the same boat and in a great location for the campus and city centre. Your room and kitchen/living area entirely depends on your Court. I was put in 16 and it was one of the newest ones so the kitchen was massive and pretty modern whereas 1-5 can be a bit dingy (but there are rumours of refurbishment). What i would say, and everybody seemed to have a problem with them, is look out for silverfish. They live in the carpet and bathroom so hoover as much as you can, bleach the bathroom and the leave the bathroom light on otherwise you can get quite a few but it just depends how much you care really. Im quite squeamish! Other than that, really enjoyable experience and met so many friends!

Thank you, seems like somewhere I'd definitely enjoy :biggrin:
Reply 15
Thank you, seems like somewhere I'd definitely enjoy :biggrin:

No worries, trust me you'll have a great time. I'm jealous!
Whey, big up BFI! I don't know what happened with our short, we were an odd bunch and none us seemed to get on so it was proper awkward, more of a 'lets just get on with it' kind of thing :l Happy with the results, maybe not so much the experience. But congrats on the festival!

I've never had an Indian as they're all quite expensive but Magic Wok does a good, and cheap, Chinese :wink:

That's a shame. We were a little bit the same but after a while we kinda unified against the people running the course. The story ended up lacking depth the way they coerced us into doing it. Turns out, it's totally true what they say about enemies of enemies!

And thanks for the recommendation! I guess i'll put that on top of the list for places to try. :P
Reply 17
That's a shame. We were a little bit the same but after a while we kinda unified against the people running the course. The story ended up lacking depth the way they coerced us into doing it. Turns out, it's totally true what they say about enemies of enemies!

And thanks for the recommendation! I guess i'll put that on top of the list for places to try. :P

The people who ran ours weren't too bad but one of them wanted my attention once and she fully dug her nails into my arm. I was really taken aback, it hurt!

No problem :P

What aspect of film making are you most looking forward to learning further?
The people who ran ours weren't too bad but one of them wanted my attention once and she fully dug her nails into my arm. I was really taken aback, it hurt!

No problem :P

What aspect of film making are you most looking forward to learning further?

Oh damn. Sounds like maybe they weren't really the best choice for the position if they have to do that. Ah well. It's still a new program, I guess they're working it out via trial and error. I heard that this years group had a pre-written script this time. Lucky buggers...

And I'm not really looking forward to learning anything in particular, just improving what I know really. Cinematography and Editing. All about that! How about yourself?
Reply 19
Hello! I am going to be studying Film & TV in September!

I've finally located the small cave of Film & TV students haha.

Quick Reply

Latest