The Student Room Group

I realised "next gen" consoles were well behind on the tech...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeyd85

Don't have the cash to do so after buying a new gaming rig. Will get a WiiU when there's an Ultimate Mario Bundle with all the Mario platformers, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. :yep:

That would be an immense bundle.
There is no way to put together a console that would be at an acceptable price to keep up with PC gaming. Nobody is spending nearer to £1000 on a console. If the tech is a problem for people, PC gaming is there. I don't see the need to complain about the consoles.
Original post by Mushi_master
I'm becoming more and more tempted to build a gaming PC these days. Have never been a PC gamer, and have been playing Xbox for years now - but besides new Halo releases, I can't really form any argument in buying an XBox One just yet. For console games I may just stick with my Wii U for the foreseeable future.

It's definitely worth it, if only for the tons of mods you get for TES, Fallout...etc. Mods are keeping even older titles fresh, even after 10 years.
This is why i dislike the majority of PC gamers...... why do they compare PC gaming and console gaming? Try buying all those parts for £300 quid and putting it together. People who are console gamers will never spend that much on a PC, because they're not HARDCORE GAMERS or give too much of a sh*t about FPS/FXX and all that bs. Most pc gamers are also obsessed with upgrading parts... #pcmasterraceproblems

It's either play with 60Fps/AA/FXX/ULTRA settings (basically everything max) or don't buy a PC at all. Take into account not everyone likes playing with keyboard and mouse and if you choose to pc game with a controller you're at a huge disadvantage for multi player anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
I just hate playing anything on a computer it's awful, plus I don't want to have to sit right in front of it when playing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by idelaghetto
This is why i dislike the majority of PC gamers...... why do they compare PC gaming and console gaming? Try buying all those parts for £300 quid and putting it together. People who are console gamers will never spend that much on a PC, because they're not HARDCORE GAMERS or give too much of a sh*t about FPS/FXX and all that bs. Most pc gamers are also obsessed with upgrading parts... #pcmasterraceproblems

It's either play with 60Fps/AA/FXX/ULTRA settings (basically everything max) or don't buy a PC at all. Take into account not everyone likes playing with keyboard and mouse and if you choose to pc game with a controller you're at a huge disadvantage for multi player anyway.

The point is just how far behind it is though, the point is that FIVE YEAR OLD stuff outclasses it. That for the first time in a long time you can build a roughly comparable PC for a comparable price.
Original post by SecretDuck
It's definitely worth it, if only for the tons of mods you get for TES, Fallout...etc. Mods are keeping even older titles fresh, even after 10 years.

Well my laptop is pretty much scuppered so I need to replace it anyway, so may as well go all out and replace it with something badass. Although chances are I'll end up getting one of the consoles too.
Original post by Jammy Duel
The point is just how far behind it is though, the point is that FIVE YEAR OLD

You have to realise the console target market is not meant to be aimed at PC gamers. Most people don't care, It's just for people who want to kick back and relax i.e playing fifa with maters.. otherwise why aren't we comparing the Wii U to PC's? No?
You have to realise the console target market is not meant to be aimed at PC gamers. Most people don't care, It's just for people who want to kick back and relax i.e playing fifa with maters.. otherwise why aren't we comparing the Wii U to PC's? No?

When was the last time people compared anything Nintendo to the other platforms?
And correct me if I'm wrong, but half the time people argue over which console is better they argue about which has better graphics, no?
When was the last time people compared anything Nintendo to the other platforms?
And correct me if I'm wrong, but half the time people argue over which console is better they argue about which has better graphics, no?

And how many do you think actually know the performance difference? Or they just presume they know because they saw it in a microsoft/sony keynote and think they're pc experts...
And how many do you think actually know the performance difference? Or they just presume they know because they saw it in a microsoft/sony keynote and think they're pc experts...

Most of them, since as soon as Pc steps onto the scene they suddenly say graphics don't matter because they know their beaten and hiding under the stairs?
Most of them, since as soon as Pc steps onto the scene they suddenly say graphics don't matter because they know their beaten and hiding under the stairs?

this i agree with
this i agree with

Any anybody who denies it is an absolute idiot since "next gen" can't even handle 1080p 30fps half the time, let alone the 1080p 60fps that they're supposed to be doing.
Original post by PhilosophicalHat
Meh, if you didn't know and you brought the crap they sold you, then you're simply a degenerate (by the way holdin' back for the price also fits in here).

Consoles need the graphical power of at least a gtx 690 to be somethin' to boast about.

A lot of this has to do with cost. The GPU alone would be the cost of an Xbox one or PS4. Also, the majority of gamers on console platform aren't hardcore gamers. if they are indeed HC, they would be buying a PC, which 60 fps is not need for the average gamer.
All in all, if a PS4 has a gt690 in it. It would be way too expensive for the casual agemr to purchase. Thus this is mass marketing that MS and Sony is doing.
Reply 34
Original post by PhilosophicalHat
Meh, if you didn't know and you brought the crap they sold you, then you're simply a degenerate (by the way holdin' back for the price also fits in here).

Consoles need the graphical power of at least a gtx 690 to be somethin' to boast about.

Ugh, so you'd be willing to pay upwards of £900 for a console? Consoles are mediocre in spec because they're mass produced, and not necessarily to a profit, for the delectation of the non-tech savvy market. If you're going to come up with something, please try to avoid delving into the realm of the fantastical.
Why do people care about graphics so much? If you are really desperate for amazing graphics and think that it is necessary for a "great gaming experience" then go buy a PC.
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
A lot of this has to do with cost. The GPU alone would be the cost of an Xbox one or PS4. Also, the majority of gamers on console platform aren't hardcore gamers. if they are indeed HC, they would be buying a PC, which 60 fps is not need for the average gamer.
All in all, if a PS4 has a gt690 in it. It would be way too expensive for the casual agemr to purchase. Thus this is mass marketing that MS and Sony is doing.

A more pressing Issue is why they said 690 rather than 780ti or titan black, given very similar performance, but on one core rather than two, and at a lower TDP.
Graphics don't make a game. I won't disagree that nice graphics don't help with the overall gaming experience but they're really not a must. I appreciate all the PC gamers who spend money on (what I assume) are regular updates to their hardware to get the maximum performance on a game. This is why I prefer the console experience though, you buy a console and then you can forget about it until the next generation before upgrading to a new console. Even if this isn't deemed hardcore I still consider myself a gamer and nobody will change that opinion.
...but I didn't realise just how far behind they are.
[video="youtube;tYG-7T2LVDc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYG-7T2LVDc[/video]
Basically, they took a flagship GPU that is MORE THAN FOUR YEARS OLD and changed the frequency on it just to show how far behind the consoles are, using Watch_Dogs High preset to test it. Underclocking the GPU from 700MHz to 405MHz (which was the lowest they managed to get it) they still managed to achieve a better frame rate at 792p than the xbox one.

yeah dude, that's because they are consoles. They are meant to be affordable, which is why the tech is behind :smile:

But I prefer console gaming by a long shot! But I do have a gaming PC :smile:

I just think consoles have a better variety in games and I prefer an actual controller to keyboard and mouse. I know you can connect xbox controllers to PC, but native control you know :smile:
Consoles are going to be obsolete well soon.

Quick Reply

Latest