The Student Room Group

Are these symptoms of lupus?

I'm wondering if my symptoms sound like lupus or if I'm worrying too much over what could be quite insignificant. Basically 5 months ago over Christmas I felt very tired and ill for 2 days before noticing there was blood in my urine. Went to a walk in centre where they said it was probably just a virus. I did develop a cold several days later. Went to gp, was put on antibiotics which didn't get rid of the blood. Basically The blood in Urine lasted 10 days and came out red, black and dark brown at times. It then disappeared but tested positive on dipstick for months after. I had blood tests/kidney function which were all normal (egfr was 80). Blood pressure was normal. Got referred to urology and all bladder scans/ct scan were normal. So there was no infection nor stones. The urologist said that it was likely just a virus that had affected my kidneys. Followup tests were normal and egfr was 89. He told me that it wasn't a good idea to test my urine with dipsticks myself as it is normal for some people to have blood in the urine. (I've only just stopped worrying about the possibility of iga nephropathy as when I dipstick my urine it has no blood anymore)

Anyway 5 months later (ie few weeks ago) I found a bald patch in my hair and have been diagnosed with alopecia aereata ( see pic). After 7 weeks, since i first noticed it, it seems to have got a little bigger but is growing back. I'm wondering why I keep getting these things though. I've looked up lupus and read that these can be symptoms of it but then I read that hairless in lupus is more diffuse rather than a solid patch. I've had iron/thyroid levels checked etc all were normal.

should I just stop worrying or is it likely there is something else causing these symptoms? I did have a relative die last year so could it all just be stress? I feel ok in myself (apart from worrying about going bald!) and workout a lot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone
If you're worried, see your GP about your concerns. Just from what you've described though, it sounds like you're fine and have got a bit worked up through overthinking this. I've gone through similar phases so I know exactly why you're concerned, but by the sound of it you're probably okay.
Original post by Bulbasaur
If you're worried, see your GP about your concerns. Just from what you've described though, it sounds like you're fine and have got a bit worked up through overthinking this. I've gone through similar phases so I know exactly why you're concerned, but by the sound of it you're probably okay.

Ive mentioned that I'm concerned about my immune system but he doesn't speak much and it's hard to communicate. They just seem like really weird problems to have saying my blood tests come back normal that's why I'm thinking it might be something like lupus.
Hi civilstudent :smile: I think that your hair loss is more likely to be stress-related than a symptom of Lupus. Lupus is a very tricky disease to diagnose for sure as it has such a huge variety of different symptoms that can often just be other, minor ailments. I had various 'classic' symptoms of Lupus since my late teens (I'm now 30) but was only diagnosed in 2010 when I presented at hospital and was told my kidneys had failed. I haven't experienced hair loss like in your picture, I've found it's just sort of thinned a lot and when I wash or brush it, more strands than normal come out.

If you are dissatisfied with your GP's diagnosis you could always request a second opinion from another doctor. There are certain blood tests that can be done to check antibodies which point to Lupus
Sorry, meant to say, the major symptom for me was lethargy; I slept a lot during the day. At the time I just put it down to me being a slightly overweight, lazy teenager rather than a serious illness!
Original post by Liz_Griff83
Hi civilstudent :smile: I think that your hair loss is more likely to be stress-related than a symptom of Lupus. Lupus is a very tricky disease to diagnose for sure as it has such a huge variety of different symptoms that can often just be other, minor ailments. I had various 'classic' symptoms of Lupus since my late teens (I'm now 30) but was only diagnosed in 2010 when I presented at hospital and was told my kidneys had failed. I haven't experienced hair loss like in your picture, I've found it's just sort of thinned a lot and when I wash or brush it, more strands than normal come out.

If you are dissatisfied with your GP's diagnosis you could always request a second opinion from another doctor. There are certain blood tests that can be done to check antibodies which point to Lupus

hey thanks I just thought that having 2 symptoms caused by my immune system (blood in urine and alopecia aereata) within six months was a sign that something is wrong with it. Although Ive not had the fatigue you describe and i work out a lot. 2 days before the blood in urine started though i was extremely fatigued and sleeping 14 hours a night for 2 days thats when the urine problem started. Infection was ruled out so it was unexplained really. I feel fine now within myself.

My gp hasnt really mentioned lupus but yea I dont know what these odd symptoms are its a bit ironic that they would be 2 seperate events. Im wondering what I will get next, in the meantime though im hoping I dont go bald lol!
Reply 7
Original post by civilstudent
hey thanks I just thought that having 2 symptoms caused by my immune system (blood in urine and alopecia aereata) within six months was a sign that something is wrong with it. Although Ive not had the fatigue you describe and i work out a lot. 2 days before the blood in urine started though i was extremely fatigued and sleeping 14 hours a night for 2 days thats when the urine problem started. Infection was ruled out so it was unexplained really. I feel fine now within myself.

My gp hasnt really mentioned lupus but yea I dont know what these odd symptoms are its a bit ironic that they would be 2 seperate events. Im wondering what I will get next, in the meantime though im hoping I dont go bald lol!

Just see a different doctor. Even if they tell you the same things, it will give you peace of mind
Original post by willp93
Just see a different doctor. Even if they tell you the same things, it will give you peace of mind

How do you see a different doctor other than gp? I think my gp is competent its just it can take years to diagnose lupus going off what people with it are saying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
How do you see a different doctor other than gp? I think my gp is competent its just it can take years to diagnose lupus going off what people with it are saying.

I meant a different gp. If you don't like the one you've been seeing

The thing is, to diagnose lupus you need to have at least 4 out of 11 quite strict criteria, which include symptoms, examination findings and results of tests. If you've only got two things, then you aren't diagnosable with lupus. I'm assuming you've had blood tests before, which would have included the the antibodies etc that you need to form the diagnosis (it's likely they would have been done either after they found blood in your urine and if not after your alopecia areata).

If you're concerned, always go speak with your doctor. And of course, if things progress or change over time then naturally things may need reconsidering.

I hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mushi_master
The thing is, to diagnose lupus you need to have at least 4 out of 11 quite strict criteria, which include symptoms, examination findings and results of tests. If you've only got two things, then you aren't diagnosable with lupus. I'm assuming you've had blood tests before, which would have included the the antibodies etc that you need to form the diagnosis (it's likely they would have been done either after they found blood in your urine and if not after your alopecia areata).

If you're concerned, always go speak with your doctor. And of course, if things progress or change over time then naturally things may need reconsidering.

I hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive got copies of the tests and havent had any antinucleur/antibody tests just c reactive protein and esr along with fbc, thyroid and kidney function
(edited 9 years ago)
Ive got copies of the tests and havent had any antinucleur/antibody tests just c reactive protein and esr along with fbc, thyroid and kidney function

It's probably worth mentioning too that alopecia areata is not one of the classical dermatological manifestations of lupus, and does not form part of the diagnostic criteria. Whilst it often occurs on it's own however, it may occur with other autoimmune diseases (such as lupus). So the reality is that this doesn't decide whether you do or don't have lupus. If you are still concerned, then it is always worth discussing these thoughts and whether further tests are indicated with your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mushi_master
It's probably worth mentioning too that alopecia areata is not one of the classical dermatological manifestations of lupus, and does not form part of the diagnostic criteria. Whilst it often occurs on it's own however, it may occur with other autoimmune diseases (such as lupus). So the reality is that this doesn't decide whether you do or don't have lupus. If you are still concerned, then it is always worth discussing these thoughts and whether further tests are indicated with your GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I have read that with lupus the hairloss is more diffuse rather than circular. No one in my family has autoimmune diseases I just find it weird I've had these immune 'attacks' over the last 6 months. I have had a chronic nasal inflammation problem for the past 4 years though have to use a steroid nasal spray and antihistamine everyday. Although I've tested negative to all allergies and can't pinpoint what it is :/ I'm just wondering what might help my immune system calm down a bit in terms of supplements etc. I'll just have to see how I go on and see if the hair grows back etc. Not much else I can do lol
Thanks, I have read that with lupus the hairloss is more diffuse rather than circular. No one in my family has autoimmune diseases I just find it weird I've had these immune 'attacks' over the last 6 months. I have had a chronic nasal inflammation problem for the past 4 years though have to use a steroid nasal spray and antihistamine everyday. Although I've tested negative to all allergies and can't pinpoint what it is :/ I'm just wondering what might help my immune system calm down a bit in terms of supplements etc. I'll just have to see how I go on and see if the hair grows back etc. Not much else I can do lol

I'll be honest in that supplements aren't gonna do jack. Just try and keep on top of your health generally and manage any stress, and see your GP if the need or concerns arise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Go to a private doctor- dont stop until you get your answer. Hope it works out :-)
It's never lupus
Original post by bertstare
It's never lupus

I just came here for that :')

At OP you should never try to self diagnose it will drive you insane, always go to your GP about things like this.
Original post by SophieSmall
I just came here for that :')

At OP you should never try to self diagnose it will drive you insane, always go to your GP about things like this.

Uh i dont get the its never lupus thing

It does drive me insane lol. I just see it as ive had 2 very weird symptoms over the past several months both involving inflammation (of the kidneys and now hair follicles) due to my immune system.
Uh i dont get the its never lupus thing

It's a reference to the TV series 'House' although I've never actually seen it myself :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest