The Student Room Group

Is anyone going to protest for Palestine?! (In London or Birmingham)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by felamaslen
That doesn't mean it couldn't exist, and there are legitimate grievances that Palestinians hold. The only thing is, they elect religious totalitarians to rule them, and as such I cannot support any claim to statehood, and in fact support Israeli occupation as a lesser evil.

It's cultural enrichment.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
It's cultural enrichment.

Cultural enrichment can actually work both ways, but only in a liberal democracy.
Original post by tabmax22
Having read a lot around the conflict of Israel and Palestine, I have not been able to find out why exactly Israel has occupied Palestine. I assume that is because most sources are pro-Palestine. I haven't really formed an opinion on the whole case and whose side to take but on the face of it Israel do seem to be in the wrong at least in most people's eyes. Being objective however, I would like to know what Israel's side of the argument is. It is natural to feel more sympathetic towards the underdogs (Palestine) for being less able to defend themselves but this is irrelevant IF it is Palestine who are in the wrong. I think most people are too quick to form a judgement and let their emotions make irrational decisions for them. That's not to say that I'm taking Israel's (or anyone's) side, but I do think people should spend more time researching both sides of the argument rather than naively accepting what they are presented with. After all, I'm sure Israel have their reasons. They did not just wake up with random hate for Palestine. So what exactly is Israel's argument?

I don't really know much about the conflict since like you've said, most sources are biased (you can usually tell straightaway what side the source is on). However from what I've managed to decipher, it doesn't seem like a clear cut conflict. People are too quick to take sides but I think people just have to realise that to a certain extent both of them are in the wrong.
Original post by DeemzBeamz
Exactly. Israel itself keeps claiming it's the only democracy in the middle east and boasts about its "democratic" nature. Then you look at their actions and they clearly show they aren't. Isis never claims it's a democracy, it openly says it targets civilians, it openly admits it's extremist, it doesn't attempt to hide the many murders it commits, unlike Israel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Israel is a democracy. A democracy is a system of government where the population are either directly or indirectly involved in decision-making (e.g through elected representatives). Democracy isn't a synonym for good government.
Original post by Rlove95
If you want to protest, you can. Nothing is stopping you, I'm just saying nothing will come from it. If you manage to stop the fighting between Israel and Palestine with your protest then you can quote me later and I'll congratulate you personally.

My point is that you say nothing will come from it, but you're wrong. I've just told you what comes from it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
My point is that you say nothing will come from it, but you're wrong. I've just told you what comes from it

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point is while it might pressure the British government, it won't pressure the Israeli government. Nothing will come from it because after the protest they will still keep firing rockets at eachother.
Reply 146
Original post by Ggmu!
Cool, you actually care. Don't fool yourself into thinking everybody cares this much or actually does anything other than update their status or walk on a protest.

Unlike many other protestors who are looking forward to hating on some Jews. Not to mention this 'free palestine' thing is a fashion among Muslim youths. Stupid people I know posting all over facebook like they know anthing.

Didn't see them saying anything when Rohingya's were being massacred, or when Ramadan was banned in China, or when Sri Lankan Buddhists burned Muslim owned houses and shops.

Not that this detracts from the pain and suffering of Palestinians, I just find how selectively Muslims care about issues, interesting.

Don't be so rude and patronising. I gave you a perfectly valid argument. Now youre just being demeaning towards me as per usual.

Im too tired to talk about this atm.

Please speak to me with some respect (or I would prefer some kindness aswell tbh) and I will show you the same in return
Reply 147
I attended to Palestine protest in Glasgow the day before yesterday, i attend protests fairly regularly/do a lot of campaigning.

I completely understand what people mean by it going towards deaf ears but we as human beings should never give up. This worlds will always be poverty stricken, realistically, we live in a **** and depressin world where people are always going to die and little kids are always going to suffer and the powers that be wont give two ****s. That is life. But giving up, giving up hope is what we should never do.

Protests might to little but they reaussre us that we are doing the little we can do, protests might not cause much awareness but they provie israel with a strong voice of opposition: "no we will not stand by as you send air strikes and hit disabled centers and schools and children and innocents, we human beings wont stand by this".

Its all about hope and giving in, when you give in and stop trying, you believe they have already won and that is our downfall. We should always do our bit because that is the least we can do. And if that bit is flag flying, marching and screaming and giving the authority a bit of trouble, then we should do it proudly and loudly.

I For one will never be silent when wrong is happening in the world, whether it be Palestinians getting killed or innocent brits getting killed, we as humanity have a responsibility to do we can.

Peace.
how easily do you run towards bidah? smh
Original post by Diamante06
Unless Israel accept that they are being barbaric and stop their bombardment on innocent civilians, then you're right, there never will be peace.

Israelis are innocent too, they have daily rockets launched at them indiscriminately. I'll come over to your place of residence and hurl stones at your house and see how tolerant you'd be... :rolleyes:
Original post by lilypear
I think you would find that this information is sufficient enough for your pointless arguments:

Now answer me, whose country was it first?

Bull****....nothing like that you (and others) are so gullible.

Who's country was the US? Australia? :rolleyes: means nothing. Palestine will never get rid of Israel, and they better accept this.
Original post by SMEGGGY

Who's country was the US? Australia? :rolleyes: means nothing. Palestine will never get rid of Israel, and they better accept this.

How's it bull****? These are simple facts. The brits gave away our country to a group of zionists without our confirmation. Under what ****ing grounds can you do that?

No we won't be getting rid of it. Israel will lead to its own self destruction, so don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY

Actually the US should belong to the native Americans.
Reply 153
Then why not protest for democracy in Palestine and an end to Hamas rule?

Because I think it's more important to keep Israel's Zionist ambitions in check than to force democracy on a people that don't really want it or need it.
Original post by C_G
Because I think it's more important to keep Israel's Zionist ambitions in check than to force democracy on a people that don't really want it or need it.

Hamas was democratically elected. Nobody is forcing democracy on palestinians. Although I didn't vote for Hamas, it WAS democratically elected. Hence why Israel thinks it's ok to collectively punish people and besiege them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then why not protest for democracy in Palestine and an end to Hamas rule?

We already have democracy. It's just that israel wasn't happy with the outcome so thinks it's ok to collectively punish us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
Original post by DeemzBeamz
Hamas was democratically elected. Nobody is forcing democracy on palestinians. Although I didn't vote for Hamas, it WAS democratically elected. Hence why Israel thinks it's ok to collectively punish people and besiege them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hamas isn't the issue with regards to the problems between Israel and Palestine. What is the issue is the slaughter of innocents, the colonisation of another people's land, and the intransigent nature of the Israeli state. They act unilaterally on the world stage, irrespective of global opinions and it simply shouldn't be allowed to continue, even though it does every single time something like this happens.
Original post by katbob

Does it really achieve anything?

In a word, no.
Reply 158
Original post by VeniViciVidi
In a word, no.

Actually I knew it does :smile:
If you read what I said later on, I actually just made this thread to raise awareness.
Ive tried to make other threads but they always get binned, maybe cause Im quite... Verbal to say the least :tongue:
Not only that but hopefully, as many people arent aware, it will make more people actually want to educate themselves about it.

"Small change, big difference" Just been watching the water appeal advert on YouTube, was so shocked when he said assalaamualaikum, thought Id misheard him :biggrin:
Original post by katbob
Actually I knew it does :smile:
If you read what I said later on, I actually just made this thread to raise awareness.
Ive tried to make other threads but they always get binned, maybe cause Im quite... Verbal to say the least :tongue:
Not only that but hopefully, as many people arent aware, it will make more people actually want to educate themselves about it.

"Small change, big difference" Just been watching the water appeal advert on YouTube, was so shocked when he said assalaamualaikum, thought Id misheard him :biggrin:

Well, if you wanted to achieve awareness then you have certainly accomplished that, albeit, to a very micro scale.

But in terms of achieving any geopolitical shift in the region, a protest won't change that. A change in the strategic context for which the land is viewed will only change that. The only real time when states cared about Palestine and Israel was during the Cold War, when the Soviet Union and the the United States backed their proxy respectfully.

However, the United States is distancing itself from Israel comparatively than what it has otherwise done. In fact, its partnership with Israel is giving it more friction than benefits it brings in some respects.

Quick Reply

Latest