The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

iMac vs Macbook Pro for Architecture

Attending LJMU this September and am wondering what would be best for the course.
Obviously running a lot of autoCAD, rendering and graphics packages most likely at the same time. I have never had any Apple computers only a phone so could do with some feedback.

(I will be commuting to uni, so portability for group projects helps with the MBP)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Must your computer be a Mac? There're many beastlier PC laptops out there that cost far less than a trendy Macbook. To answer your question, however, I believe either of them can run AutoCAD reasonably well.
Liverpool
^^ this. a mac isnt going to give you any benefit over a laptop pound for pound.

there are a couple very well powered laptops for about 1k that you can pick up with more powerful specs that will get your job done better!

you will want High ram, as many cores/threads as possible and at a minimum a dedicated GPU.
The computer does not have to be a Mac. I had just heard a few of people (architectural students on years out) saying that their Mac computers tend to last a lot longer running as if they were brand new than Windows or equivalents.
not sure if it is true but I heard that Apple is less susceptible to viruses.
Original post by aidan.finlason
The computer does not have to be a Mac. I had just heard a few of people (architectural students on years out) saying that their Mac computers tend to last a lot longer running as if they were brand new than Windows or equivalents.

Get a decent antivirus for free and a firewall for a windows PC. Don't download stupid things you won't get a virus.

Apple is more susceptible for viruses but more people make viruses for Windows since it is more common.

I don't have an antivirus, just the standard windows firewall and I've never had a virus, ever. (and I use so many torrents it's a joke haha)

I'd say you can get a good laptop which is much more powerful but I would recommend a custom PC, obviously it isn't portable but it would be so much faster.

If you want help making a custom PC then drop me a PM I'll be happy to help :smile:

If you want to stick with Apple then depends on what you want, if they macbook will do what you need it do and appeals to you more due to its portability then get that, if you feel the macs superior speed is something you want more than portability then get the mac

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

If you're not downright reckless with a PC and stop to think about the effect of installing a piece of software that has flashed up on your web browser, a PC will last just as long as a Mac. Yeah, there are more viruses on Windows than OSX, but simple steps such as good security and not being callous with your use of a PC (and also not downloading dodgy cracked versions of software) will avoid them.

With regard to the OP though, a desktop architecture (iMac) will always out-perform a laptop (MBP). If you know a Mac will do what you need it to do, by all means get one. If however you have a budget to stick to or want more bang for your buck, you will get more for your money by getting a Windows PC.

The "macs dont get viruses" is a load of rubbish, ignore this information when anyone says it, common sense will stop you getting viruses! the fact that a mac is more likely to last longer than a windows PC is also incorrect, if you took a laptop on the same hardware as a mac they will both last the same amount of years/months or whatever time frame you have. the difference is that windows laptop will cost a lot less. and so on equal pricing rather than performance, you can get a windows laptop that will "last longer".

Dell inspiron and XPS ranges are a good place to start looking. Also big at the moment, Lenovo Thinkpads.
An iMac will obviously outperform a Macbook Pro because you're not forking out as much money into making everything super small, so the same price will get you better specs. Having said that, I would definitely never get an Apple laptop/desktop for my Architecture course, I used a 2-year old (now 6-year old at graduation) toshiba laptop for portability, and built my own custom PC for the heavyweight stuff and gaming.

In total the laptop cost £850 when new, and the desktop cost £1200, but when I graduated I was essentially using kit worth around £1200 + £250 and did fine.

If you do decide to go the Windows laptop and desktop route I'd advise buying the laptop on its own and using it for a couple of years, then buying the desktop. That way you needn't upgrade them both at the same time, it'll maximise the efficiency you get from using them as you'll only have one "super computer" at any given time with the other adding utility

edit: and yes, "Macs don't get viruses" is an antiquated myth from back when Macs were in the minority, nowadays it's an even playing field since both user bases are large enough to be worth targeting. Apple gives good in-built virus protection, but I just use Window's free antivirus and never had any problems, because I don't download files or follow links in dodgy scam emails
(edited 9 years ago)
Is there anything with the packages running on certain machines? I've used 'Bentley Microstation' extensively on a windows machine, but never seen this package on any apple machines.
Is there anything with the packages running on certain machines? I've used 'Bentley Microstation' extensively on a windows machine, but never seen this package on any apple machines.

I don't know much about microstation, but you can't run ecotect on a mac! people on my course have all sorts of issues running software on macs.

personally, I have a windows laptop which is incredibly ugly but cost around the same as a mac, and it outperforms most of my friends macs (and windows laptops!). I can quite happily run lots of crazy software without it affecting my laptop! :smile:
I run a real estate development company. We do have an in-house architecture and engineering department, over 95% of all computing hardware are Macs and all our laptops as of later this month will be Macbook Pros. I should add that Macs were not selected due to its superiority but more due to the price and financing schemes available and a corporate image.

AutoCAD runs just fine on a Mac and you should be able to run most if not all the modules you would use as an architect or engineer or as a student. You could get a Windows emulator and a copy of a Windows to load on your Mac, while it is something we don't do for data integrity and uniformity reasons, there isn't anything stopping you from doing it if it is something you want to do.

Currently the only time we don't use a Mac is where we are trying to rotate a 3D model with more than 2 light sources. It can be done on an iMac but due to the size of the buildings and the level of detail involved it does get a bit laggy. Thus we stick to the trusty PC with a Nvidia Quadro K5000 which does an excellent job.

Which one to get? If it is just one or the other then get the MBP 13" and an external monitor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending