The Student Room Group

''like a girl'' is not insulting to girls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
No need to be rude is there.

Why compare some random guy on the internet to the best women in the world? Compare the equivalent standards and men are better. The average man is better than the average woman, so saying to the average man that he throws like a girl is an insult, as most girls will throw worse than him.

Obviously if you say "you run like Jessica Ennis" then that's not an insult. But I'm pretty sure no one says that.

If you say "you run like a girl" meaning in a poorly coordinated manner, you are implying that ALL girls run in a poorly coordinated manner, which is clearly false.

you may not think that's what you're implying, but it is.

Instead I would recommend you say "you run like a small subset of poorly coordinated non-gender specific individuals".
Reply 21
Original post by cole-slaw
That's a cricket team, which player are you then?

Just signed, 2nd XI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
No need to be rude is there.

Why compare some random guy on the internet to the best women in the world? Compare the equivalent standards and men are better. The average man is better than the average woman, so saying to the average man that he throws like a girl is an insult, as most girls will throw worse than him.

Obviously if you say "you run like Jessica Ennis" then that's not an insult. But I'm pretty sure no one says that.

This. PRSOM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you say "you run like a girl" meaning in a poorly coordinated manner, you are implying that ALL girls run in a poorly coordinated manner, which is clearly false.

Instead I would recommend you say "you run like a small subset of poorly coordinated non-gender specific individuals".

It's not something I say, but I think when people say it they mean a very specific kind of poorly coordinated running, that being flappy arms etc. Which I've only ever seen girls do, and probably most people have the same experience. So it's a fair comment.

Thanks babe :heart:
It's not something I say, but I think when people say it they mean a very specific kind of poorly coordinated running, that being flappy arms etc. Which I've only ever seen girls do, and probably most people have the same experience. So it's a fair comment.

I've definitely seen guys run like that too.
I've seen girls throw a ball harder and faster than any guy in this forum.

Really? Have you seen videos of all they guys on here throwing balls?
Reply 27
Thanks babe :heart:

Dis ain't homo. Dis all Hetero ppl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EatAndRevise
Really? Have you seen videos of all they guys on here throwing balls?

I'm extrapolating from what I know about the typical TSR user.
Original post by FKLW
Dis ain't homo. Dis all Hetero ppl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Never homo)

And what do you know about the typical TSR user?

No it's not. It's implying that he runs like a 'typical' girl - i.e. not as well or as fast as a 'typical' guy.

That some women can run faster than your average man doesn't change the fact that most (as in probably 95% +) can't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EatAndRevise
And what do you know about the typical TSR user?

Judging by the typical poster on here, that they're generally awkward, socially incompetent dorks.
Judging by the typical poster on here, that they're generally awkward, socially incompetent dorks.

You are also on here.

How does one being "awkward" mean they cannot throw a ball?

I do not know anyone on this forum in person, so I cannot agree nor disagree.
Reply 34
(Never homo)

(Unless hands touch)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speak for yourself.
Reply 36
I've seen girls throw a ball harder and faster than any guy in this forum.

Softball pitchers?
Original post by StevieA
You know, run like a girl, throw like a girl, fight like a girl etc... It's insulting to a guy but why would it be to a girl? Girls do these things the way they do them, it's their natural state so why would it be insulting? They are negative for a man because if you do all those things like a girl you'll lose the race, the cricket/baseball game or the fight when competing against other guys.

What do you mean it's their natural state?
Original post by ldsbabe
You can't be serious. How stupid can one person be?
The fact that men are offended when being compared to a woman is offensive to women. Why is being like a woman a bad thing?

Please don't embarrass yourself with these questions in future and use google.
Thanks.

I'm sure you'd be annoyed if someone said you looked like a man.
(edited 9 years ago)

You don't actually know these things about the typical TSR user though. You're just guessing.

Quick Reply

Latest