The Student Room Group

Doing 6/7 A-Levels at Sixth Form. Manageable?

Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.

Scroll to see replies

Manageable? - Maybe..
Pointless? - Yes.

If you're so sure on a medicine/engineering degree having Geology and French A levels won't put you at much of an advantage with people that have just the 5.

But if it is something you WANT to do, then by all means do it. but only as a personal challenge. you seem capable enough.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Basit2010
Manageable? - Maybe..
Pointless? - Yes.

If you're so sure on a medicine/engineering degree having Geology and French A levels won't put you at much of an advantage with people that have just the 5

Yes it would lol, you really don't know what you're talking about.
Reply 3
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.

The honest answer is no it's not manageable and you'll probably end up compromising your grades somewhere along the way. If you're still determined to do as many as possible I'd get rid of geology since it's not very well-regarded and definitely wouldn't bother with french. I think the other 5 you've chosen will be fine and perfect for medicine. Also, if you're set on applying to Oxbridge, it would be of interest to you that Cambridge care more about the percentages you achieve rather than A*s and thus getting close to 100% in 4 subjects, for example, looks much better than close to 90% with 7 and would put you at an advantage.
Reply 4
Original post by JAIYEKO

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

Hmmm I'm struggling with 3/4 but that's just me!:lol:
But for Oxbridge I think you could do that, you sound sensible so yes:yes:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't want to sound disheartening, but Oxbridge rejected a guy with 7A*'s once so its not about the quantity but I you find that you can handle the work load and nothing clashes, do what you want!
Reply 6
[QUOTE="JAIYEKO;48578562"]Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.[/QUOTE

'Personified for me'? .

Most of my friends who achieved 10-12 A* at GCSE and are now applying to Oxbridge having just about managed 4 subjects. You need to keep in mind that you've never experienced AS subjects, so how you came to the judgement of taking 6 subjects is beyond me.
Reply 7
Original post by JAIYEKO

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

Medicine will not make you a rich man.
Original post by AlexKay99
I don't want to sound disheartening, but Oxbridge rejected a guy with 7A*'s once so its not about the quantity but I you find that you can handle the work load and nothing clashes, do what you want!

That student headed off to Stanford right?

So how do betas get into Oxford with less than 2 a stars.

Also if Oxbridge pride themselves over candidates academic ability rather than the whole application like the Ivies do, then what is it about to get in. especially in the case of said student(who also took real subjects not micky mouse essay ones)?

Just asking you, not looking to get into an argument.

I know above average people who compromised their A Levels by doing so many EC's but isn't the former more important?
Reply 9
You want to go into a profession that will make you the most?
That isn't engineering or medicine.
Also, you'll probably compromise your grades. I'd rather have A*A*A* than BBBBBB.
Reply 10
Original post by smile:D
The honest answer is no it's not manageable and you'll probably end up compromising your grades somewhere along the way. If you're still determined to do as many as possible I'd get rid of geology since it's not very well-regarded and definitely wouldn't bother with french. I think the other 5 you've chosen will be fine and perfect for medicine. Also, if you're set on applying to Oxbridge, it would be of interest to you that Cambridge care more about the percentages you achieve rather than A*s and thus getting close to 100% in 4 subjects, for example, looks much better than close to 90% with 7 and would put you at an advantage.

French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities even when you achieve an A* in it, so your first point is invalid.

Geology is advisable for (Petroleum) Engineering and so your second point is also invalid.

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir
Original post by JAIYEKO

They only look at your top 3 subjects associated with the course you apply for. For arts and humanities that's anything technically. For sciences, that's the science you apply for, and maths + 1 science (FM is technically not additional, but some universities take FM as a separate A level). Taking 6 or 7 over somebody who takes 3 gives you zero advantage.
Original post by JAIYEKO

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

Hmm....i personally would not recomend this as it would mean a lot of work/effeort but if you are naturally able then i dont see any reason why you should not be able to get in.

Maths/FM and physics are great subjects to study as maths is baisically physics and physics is baisically maths if you know what i mean. I dont think you will be more advantaged than peple with four A* at level as unis wont really care how many A levels you do as long as you meet their requirements and ucas points. I also think that maths and FM are regarded the same when applying to uni(you may correct me if i am wrong). So baisically if i were you i would stick with 4-5 A levels and then drop one so then making 4. I also think its pointless doing 6-7 as at the end of the day its not going to benefit you in any way. If you are willing to do so though i suggest you prepare yourself now rather than waiting till september as the work load will be plenty. How about getting yourself some AS books for starters like for mathst C1,S1 etc.

Good Luck-you will need it.:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ldsbabe
You want to go into a profession that will make you the most?
That isn't engineering or medicine.
Also, you'll probably compromise your grades. I'd rather have A*A*A* than BBBBBB.

And I'd rather have A*A*A*A*A*A*A* *finally so many ********** *
Reply 14
Original post by JAIYEKO
French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities even when you achieve an A* in it, so your first point is invalid.

Geology is advisable for (Petroleum) Engineering and so your second point is also invalid.

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir

He didn't say that french was not highly regarded by unis he said geology wasn't.

How is he supposed to know you were looking at petroleum?

That doesn't even make sense so I would suggest that you do not take that many A-levels!

:biggrin:
Original post by JAIYEKO

Au revoir

Well yes, I did French A-level but I wouldn't put it on a pedestal as you've done. It's good to have but not really important for medicine or engineering.

As for your other point prove me wrong :tongue:, I would say that it's not worth taking the risk
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JAIYEKO

No it wont. OP makes a thread and gets mad when someone makes a post.

With the removal of January exams having 20-25 A level exams will hit you like a ton of bricks kid.

Coming from someone who has a photographic memory I did the first 4 A levels on your list and June was probably the most stressful month of my life. I've firmed an offer for Medicine so I do know a bit of what I'm talking about. ZERO ADVANTAGE!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JAIYEKO

Au revoir

Why are you asking a question when you obviously already know the answers
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
That student headed off to Stanford right?

So how do betas get into Oxford with less than 2 a stars.

Also if Oxbridge pride themselves over candidates academic ability rather than the whole application like the Ivies do, then what is it about to get in. especially in the case of said student(who also took real subjects not micky mouse essay ones)?

Just asking you, not looking to get into an argument.

I know above average people who compromised their A Levels by doing so many EC's but isn't the former more important?

I know he went to Stanford, but the person who started this thread wants to get into Oxbridge and I'm saying that someone should not rely on the fact that he is doing more exams than average to get in because it is not a guarantee.

However, essay-based subjects are highly valued (Eg; history, english literature) but since he is applying for Medicine the science ones will be more relevant.
Even so, only 3 A levels are required, so unless he wants learn all of them because he enjoys them and not because he thinks it will give him an advantage then he should go for it.

Edit* sorry if I did not fully understand your post, what does 'betas' mean?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JAIYEKO

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated.":smile:

Latest