The Student Room Group

What is the best condiment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
Have tasted Worcester sauce, good on cheese on toast, hot sauce, nice for adding a kick to something and mustard is beautiful with some good meat. Had some with some brisket the other day and it was simply amazing.

I still voted Mayo though. It's more versatile as an allround sauce. :tongue:

Interesting. I like mayo don't get me wrong, but basically only on chicken burgers/sandwiches. I'm struggling to think of anything else I'd use it with.

Can use Lea & Perrins to cook in so many dishes, I use it in gravy, bolognese, corned beef hash, chicken, burger patties, steaks, seafood etc. Can even use it in drinks & marinades.

What do people use ketchup for other than burgers and chips lol?

Original post by pane123
Effeminate palates ITT.

It's true.
Moved it for you. :yep:

It's only one vote off the lead now.

Favourite sweet chilli sauce? Blue Dragon?

I have a friend who works at McDonald's and gives me free sweet chilli dip, as there's sauce is my favourite:heart:
I voted BBQ because I think it goes nicely with lots of things, in saying that, soy sauce has its moments.
Original post by tazza ma razza
CHIPOTLE MAYO!!!!!

Feeling nice; here is the recipe for nice serving:

- half a palm sized piece of red pepper (diced into thumb sized pieces)
- handful of fresh basil (roll in your hand first to release the oils)
- 7/8 teaspoon english mustard
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste (discovery do a nice small bottle)
- 3 tablespoons of mayo
- tiny bit of black pepper
- add a couple of drops of tabasco if you want

blitz in a food processor until it is a brown/red/pink sauce with bits of green dotted around.

Tastes amazing and is my go to sauce for any burger / hot dog / grilled or BBQ meat

That actually sounds like a reallly really nice condiment! I may see if there's a lazy version i can just buy off the shelf first though since i lack a food processor. #

Any ready-made versions that don't suck?

Original post by Wilfred Little
Interesting. I like mayo don't get me wrong, but basically only on chicken burgers/sandwiches. I'm struggling to think of anything else I'd use it with.

Can use Lea & Perrins to cook in so many dishes, I use it in gravy, bolognese, corned beef hash, chicken, burger patties, steaks, seafood etc. Can even use it in drinks & marinades.

What do people use ketchup for other than burgers and chips lol?

It's true.

I put mayo on everything, burgers, chips, pasta, seafood, wedges, all forms of meat and all forms of carbs. Even chuck some on a pizza or on top of a curry. Makes it nice and creamy.

Ketchup i dunno.
I'm very confused by the prominence of sweet chilli in this poll :wink:
Widgit'd!
Reply 65
Any sauce that is white is good.

Mayo, garlic sauce, tartar sauce, mint sauce mmmmmmmmmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put mayo on everything, burgers, chips, pasta, seafood, wedges, all forms of meat and all forms of carbs. Even chuck some on a pizza or on top of a curry. Makes it nice and creamy.

Ketchup i dunno.

I had to vote for other because... sweet onion is the superior condiment.
Original post by 2710

Posted from TSR Mobile

You racist bastard
Original post by Armadillo
I'm very confused by the prominence of sweet chilli in this poll :wink:
Widgit'd!

Thanks. Which did you go for? And are you not a sweet chilli fan?

Original post by 2710

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now this is a post i can agree with! :yep:
Reply 70
BBQ till I die :h:

Guessing you don't approve of mayo in a curry?

If it's a homemade one with paste/chopped tomatoes they can be an unpleasent texture.

Adding Mayo makes it nice and creamy. :yep:
Guessing you don't approve of mayo in a curry?

If it's a homemade one with paste/chopped tomatoes they can be an unpleasent texture.

Adding Mayo makes it nice and creamy. :yep:

I do make curries but I don't use paste, never tried mayo in a curry, I don't know mate. I would try it, just seems wrong sticking a dollop of mayo on top of a vindaloo lol.
I do make curries but I don't use paste, never tried mayo in a curry, I don't know mate. I would try it, just seems wrong sticking a dollop of mayo on top of a vindaloo lol.

How do you make curries then? Bottled sauces?

I was never into them and thought the gf was crazy when she suggested it but i tired it and man... It's good... Such rich creaminess. Has to be proper full fat Mayo though. None of this healthy nonsense. "It's not real mayonnaise" as Monica says...
Reply 74
I recently discovered the joys of yellow mustard, this stuff is divine on burgers and fries!

Not a fan of ketchup at all though, much to the disgust of most people. Why do people get offended when i say i don't like ketchup?
Reply 75
Mayonnaise. I hate it being called mayo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here it is people! The battle you've all been waiting for!

The showdown is finally upon us.

In the Red corner we have the classic, tomato Ketchup.

In the brown corner we have Brown/HP sauce.

In the white corner we have the magical mayo checking in.

And in the yellow corner we have the mighty mustard!

And an other category for the lesser condiments you'll yell at me for missing off the list.

I like to cause havoc. I mix ketchup and mayo to create the greatest condiment ever made, only other condiment that comes close is the southwest chipotle sauce.
How do you make curries then? Bottled sauces?

I was never into them and thought the gf was crazy when she suggested it but i tired it and man... It's good... Such rich creaminess. Has to be proper full fat Mayo though. None of this healthy nonsense. "It's not real mayonnaise" as Monica says...

From scratch with spices & fresh ginger, garlic, cloves etc. Pork vindaloo is my favourite so far. This is the next one I'll do, haven't done it yet but it looks excellent.

Agree about the mayonnaise, same with butter, cheese etc. Just buy the real thing.
Original post by Zowidi
BBQ till I die :h:

:five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ketchup! But I only eat it with fast food e.g. Chips... My friend eats curry with ketchup :/ anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest