The Student Room Group

Experiences: What does the future hold for relationships after graduation?

Hello TSR,

I've recently graduated from university. At the end of the first semester in second year (December 2012), I got together with my present girlfriend. We have shared a happy relationship ever since but I have become increasingly anxious about our future.

I have managed to find gainful employment for September as has she, however I don't think it's fully dawned on me how much life will change in just over a months' time. Gone will be the lazy mornings and idle afternoons, for once (outside of holidays) my days will be dominated by a 9-5 schedule as will hers. My position will also require me to work through Saturday's meaning that constraints will be placed on the time that we hitherto spent together. Coupled with this is the fact that entering new environments will inevitably lead to us both meeting new people bearing potential, well known consequences.

I am committed to our relationship and would love to see it carry through. I really wanted to hear the views and opinions of people who have perhaps been in similar situations.
If you survive university you can survive real life.university is the biggest relationship killer out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
If you survive university you can survive real life.university is the biggest relationship killer out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you say? I always thought it provided an environment conducive to them (unless your other half is going to a different uni of course)
Reply 3
It depends on whether you live together.

If you can come home to each other then long days without each other will be worth it as you know you'll come home to each other.

If you still live with your parents or away from each other (different towns, LDR etc) you'll probably find that over time you'll end up going in separate ways.

That's my view.
Reply 4
Original post by lee1985
It depends on whether you live together.

If you can come home to each other then long days without each other will be worth it as you know you'll come home to each other.

If you still live with your parents or away from each other (different towns, LDR etc) you'll probably find that over time you'll end up going in separate ways.

That's my view.

Thanks for your input, it's really appreciated. I live in London and she lives in Chelmsford which is probably about an overall 40 minute journey away- so not too far. We do plan to move in with one another, but certainly next year my wage will prohibit this. I do try and see her as regularly as possible though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending