The Student Room Group

The Gove is Gone Celebration Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phoebe Buffay
It boggles the mind how they're chosen. The new sec has spent most of her political life in the Treasury, for her to then be launched into Education, its just weird. Its because she is a woman.

Yeah, it makes little to no sense. Of course, it does make sense as a bit of PR for the party, but other than that the decision is of questionable merit. I'm just glad I'll be out of school in a year's time. My brother is not so lucky.
I think Morgan could get a bit power-hungry, seeing as she used to be a back-bencher. All that remains is that the Tories don't get elected in 2015. I'm not looking forward to that election what with UKIP gaining popularity.
Original post by RebeccaLong
Anyone know what he's like... From what the news says?! Sorry people, I don't watch this stuff :s-smilie:

She. Shes not the most liberal but hopefully she can bring new perspective. Very sad she has no real education experience though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know what he's like... From what the news says?! Sorry people, I don't watch this stuff :s-smilie:

Nicky Morgan is a female. Have a look on wiki
Let's celebrate yes, one of the few people in government that had the conviction to try and bring about significant change to our education system, is gone. It saddens me that people celebrate that he's gone, and then bemoan the state of our education system. I doubt his replacement will see through what he tried to do. She wont be as good.

Are you serious? Conviction and stubborn ignorance is a bad mix and worse if you combine it with political power. And significant change is not necessarily positive significant change. The Free Schools program has cost a lot and has not met the schooling demands of the country. Oh and he does not listen to evidence-backed opinions.

And I forgot his random changes to the curriculum.
Original post by StarvingAutist
Yeah, it makes little to no sense. Of course, it does make sense as a bit of PR for the party, but other than that the decision is of questionable merit. I'm just glad I'll be out of school in a year's time. My brother is not so lucky.
I think Morgan could get a bit power-hungry, seeing as she used to be a back-bencher. All that remains is that the Tories don't get elected in 2015. I'm not looking forward to that election what with UKIP gaining popularity.

Well it was in the papers recently that UKIP have lost some support, while support for the tories has increased. I think in one of the polls Cameron had a 1 point lead over labour
The real question is though

Did he ever finalize to remove all American books (To Kill a Mockingbird etc) from English Lit?
Original post by AdamCee

Did he ever finalize to remove all American books (To Kill a Mockingbird etc) from English Lit?

We're still studying it as our other cultures unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdamCee

He never actually suggested banning all American literature.
Original post by BenAssirati
You said it couldn't get any worse, thus implying it was rock-bottom. The fact that we are one of the few countries improving (6th in the World, 2nd in Europe behind Finland) shows that you are way off the mark. Also, you are being very vague in your "Gove bad; ideas bad" rhetoric, and say things like 'least quality suggestions'. Do you actually know anything Gove has implemented or suggested over the past 3/4 years, or do you just listen to whatever you are told by your teachers?

Any evidence backing that up?
Original post by Lord Baelish
I dislike him because performance related pay for teachers is utterly stupid and encourages them to compete and backstab to achieve promotions at the expense of others as opposed to paying them an equal amount and getting them to work as a cohesive unit for the good of the children.

People can defend Gove all they like but as a soon to be trainee teacher I am glad he's gone. Good riddance. Not because he made changes but because he is an arrogant man who thinks he has all the answers and is always right - he didn't even listen to teachers and just twisted everything to favour his ideology - he was the purist example of an out of touch politician you could find alongside the likes of Clegg and Harman.

His replacement may be worse, the same or better but if she at least listens she will be one up on Gove from the beginning.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, but why let facts get in the way of a good rant, eh?
Reply 51
Gove's reforms didn't really affect my GCSE to A Level education so I couldn't care less.
Original post by Juichiro
Are you serious? Conviction and stubborn ignorance is a bad mix and worse if you combine it with political power. And significant change is not necessarily positive significant change. The Free Schools program has cost a lot and has not met the schooling demands of the country. Oh and he does not listen to evidence-backed opinions.

And I forgot his random changes to the curriculum.

No I agree with you that significant change does not mean good change, it can be bad too, but what I said carries the implicit assumption that he has carried out some good change.

Unfortunately, to bring about any sort of change, you have to have the sort of qualities that Gove had.

Oh didn't he? Swear I saw a petition asking him to bring it ALL back

Well that's good - I'll let you all get back to this very heated argument xD
Original post by Drewski
I know, but why let facts get in the way of a good rant, eh?

Indeed, but it is quite surprising the sheer amount of hatred people have for Gove based on what they've 'heard' and misinformation :eek:
Original post by AdamCee
Oh didn't he? Swear I saw a petition asking him to bring it ALL back

Well that's good - I'll let you all get back to this very heated argument xD

Yes, you are correct there was a petition, but it was misinformed too I believe.
Indeed, but it is quite surprising the sheer amount of hatred people have for Gove based on what they've 'heard' and misinformation :eek:

Not really. People like someone to blame. And they won't stop to hear facts, not in an age when information is exchanged in the shortest form possible.
Original post by Ndella
Gove's reforms didn't really affect my GCSE to A Level education so I couldn't care less.

That's just like saying: '9/11 didn't kill or affect any of my family, so I don't give a ****'

Why post just to say that you don't care? It's pointless.
I know what you mean, but after ruining everyone's once in a lifetime education, you can't blame me for feeling annoyed at all the adult failures who tried to run the education system.... And destroyed it :mad:

Whatever, my life's been changed because of it. So, who's the new guy?!

What has Gove actually done that has impacted so heavily on your education?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thechemistress
That's just like saying: '9/11 didn't kill or affect any of my family, so I don't give a ****'

Why post just to say that you don't care? It's pointless.

Oh come on you can't really compare education reforms to 9/11 :lol:

Quick Reply