The Student Room Group

How will you open your results?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Room Student
Ahh cool :h: it was Christ's that caught my eye :colondollar: guess I can dream haha

Good luck! :smile:
a2

predicted A*A*A, want A*A*A but expect A*AA/AAA.

i need AAA for uni so although i'll be mildly disappointed not to get any A*s, i will still celebrate the heck out of those results :tongue:
A2

Hoping for: A*AA

Expecting: AAA-AAB

I will open them: in my mum's car outside like I have done every year I've done exams (4th year!) too late to break tradition :P

Celebration/reaction?: I will no doubt be shaking, then will probably crumble and die when I realise I've missed my firm offer :smile:))))))))))))
AS or A2 results? AS

What are you hoping for? AAAAA

What are you expecting? AAAAB (Not sure about general studies)

How will you open them? At school on results day from an envelope

How will you celebrate / react? I probably won't cry unless I get full UMS on everything (lol) or do especially badly (in terms of cambridge applications) such as less than 90% UMS average. If I don't get As in everything but general studies I'll probably isolate myself for a week.

If nothing too drastic then I think I'll celebrate with my friends :biggrin:
AS
Hoping for: AAAAA
Expecting AAAAB
Opening them: At college, in the refectory. Hopefully no cameras.
How will I celebrate/react: High five-ing, either someone else or my face.
AS
Hoping for: AAAA (not including GS)
Expecting: AABB
Opening them: In the sixth form centre, as far away from everyone else as I can manage.
How I will celebrate/ react: Ice-cream. Either as a consolation or a reward.
Original post by Mansun
This is untrue, UCL has over 46% of students coming from a private school. Durham is about the same, and Bristol is in the 40s, as is St Andrews. Nottingham has over 30%of students from private school, despite its vastly larger student intake. Leeds is a little behind Nottingham on that front.

Well, uh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9438052/University-admissions-Universities-with-the-fewest-state-students.html

http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/31/revealed-top-ten-unis-for-privately-educated-students/

http://www.studentbeans.com/student-money/a/the-posh-university-league2169.html

http://www.allaboutcareers.com/features/article/69/which-universities-have-the-lowest-intake-of-state-school-students

Sure, ignore the Leeds thing, I don't know where I saw that, but note that Bristol is always above UCL like I said, so no, UCL does take in a lot of state students compared to its comparatives. And sure, the ranking is never exactly the same but the numbers are similar and show you a rough estimate over the years.

But this is sorta diverging from the thread XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 307
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Well, uh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9438052/University-admissions-Universities-with-the-fewest-state-students.html

http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/31/revealed-top-ten-unis-for-privately-educated-students/

http://www.studentbeans.com/student-money/a/the-posh-university-league2169.html

http://www.allaboutcareers.com/features/article/69/which-universities-have-the-lowest-intake-of-state-school-students

Sure, ignore the Leeds thing, I don't know where I saw that, but note that Bristol is always above UCL like I said, so no, UCL does take in a lot of state students compared to its comparatives. And sure, the ranking is never exactly the same but the numbers are similar and show you a rough estimate over the years.

But this is sorta diverging from the thread XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Russell Group has long sought to widen access across the board to all areas of society, and to not make it a private school's association. The state school figures have improved drastically over the years, even at Oxbridge. Oxford at one point only had 33% of students from state schools, and developed special relations with one private school, and even having a quota of students sent there for interview (heaven knows how they managed to get away with this for a while).

The one thing to bear in mind is quite a few students in the past have come from grammar schools and leading state schools. What matters is how many working class kids from the poorest schools in the UK go to the best universities, and that number will always be low unless special arrangements are made to lower grades.

The rise of Exeter has always been puzzling, it seems very popular with private school kids, but it isn't exactly a Russell Group heavyweight like Nottingham is it? When I list the most desirable universities to attend to, I usually list Durham, UCL, Nottingham, Edinburgh, St Andrews as the obvious ones. Oxbridge is not for me, I've never liked the snobbery and silly notion that these are light years ahead of the others.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
The Russell Group has long sought to widen access across the board to all areas of society, and to not make it a private school's association. The state school figures have improved drastically over the years, even at Oxbridge. Oxford at one point only had 33% of students from state schools, and developed special relations with one private school, and even having a quota of students sent there for interview (heaven knows how they managed to get away with this for a while).

The one thing to bear in mind is quite a few students in the past have come from grammar schools and leading state schools. What matters is how many working class kids from the poorest schools in the UK go to the best universities, and that number will always be low unless special arrangements are made to lower grades.

The rise of Exeter has always been puzzling, it seems very popular with private school kids, but it isn't exactly a Russell Group heavyweight like Nottingham is it? When I list the most desirable universities to attend to, I usually list Durham, UCL, Nottingham, Edinburgh, St Andrews as the obvious ones. Oxbridge is not for me, I've never liked the snobbery and silly notion that these are light years ahead of the others.

I agree with what you say, especially about Oxbridge being far better than other unis when they clearly aren't, especially for particular courses such as Engineering. It will always be like that anyway since at poorer schools, they have less resources, not the best teachers and so only very very bright students tend to go to the top 20ish. I guess that's why some unis have special measures such as Bristol's contextual offer etc.

Lol about exeter, it is strange though. One minute I'd never heard of it, the next everyone was on about it. I think it must have gotten really good results or something that year it appeared on the radar.

A2 or AS?
Everyones talking about MY Bristol uni. I feel loved.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Do teachers know your results before you do? I think like the deputy heads do, I'm not sure... But its so nerve racking when I walk in to get my results and think 'omg they're probably laughing in their heads because I failed...' lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuperFly
Do teachers know your results before you do? I think like the deputy heads do, I'm not sure... But its so nerve racking when I walk in to get my results and think 'omg they're probably laughing in their heads because I failed...' lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly they do :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies

My tutor gave me my results envelope last year. He gave me that 'knowing' look... :tongue:
Original post by sarcasmrules
My tutor gave me my results envelope last year. He gave me that 'knowing' look... :tongue:

Haha oooh :tongue: I avoided eye contact with my teachers in case :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Haha oooh :tongue: I avoided eye contact with my teachers in case :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Avoiding eye contact, it's the British way ;p
Original post by tengentoppa
A2

Hoping for: A*A*A

Expecting: A*AA

I will open them: as I would open a letter.

I will react: in an understated and dignified way.

I love this... Made me burst into tears!!
Original post by aprocrastinator
AS or A2 results? AS

What are you hoping for? AAAAA

What are you expecting? AAAAB (Not sure about general studies)

How will you open them? At school on results day from an envelope

How will you celebrate / react? I probably won't cry unless I get full UMS on everything (lol) or do especially badly (in terms of cambridge applications) such as less than 90% UMS average. If I don't get As in everything but general studies I'll probably isolate myself for a week.

If nothing too drastic then I think I'll celebrate with my friends :biggrin:

What subjects do you do, and what course are you looking to do?
Original post by tnetennba

How will you celebrate / react?
I will probably change my academic info on facebook and then go back to bed.

LMFAOOO!

Probably the best thing I have seen on this thread! Absolutely in stitches!
Original post by ubisoft
What subjects do you do, and what course are you looking to do?

Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, General Studies and Further Maths AS.

Medicine at Cambridge so UMS is pretty important!
So funny how people who have put their AS results and no one cares, cause us A2 students, secretly know, this thread was devoted to A2 Results as they weight more importance over AS lool!

I need BBC, hoping ABB.

I shall open my letter probably with friends. However, I shall be checking online UCAS from 7am-9am as this is when my school opens. However, I need I wanna go with friends, so I need to take someone with me. NOT my mother because she is not supportive in the least. So I have just set a reminder to ask a few on Monday 11 August just in case they plan to do the same with someone else! :colondollar:

I shall celebrate with lots, and lots of alcohol regardless. I never celebrated AS results so basically I shall spend Thursday (student night in Birmingham so CHEAP-ASS DRINKS ALL ROUND) and Friday up hitting the clubs... :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest