The Student Room Group

Shared vs Ensuite

In September I will hopefully be attending York or Surrey uni and currently I am trying to decide what type of accomadation to apply for. I've been told many differnet things about both types of accomodation but was concerned when I was told people who have ensuites are less sociable which will bother me, just wondered if anyone could clear up any rumors! Any advice is welcome :smile:
That's completely untrue. if anything having your own ensuite would make you more sociable as you don't have to realise to what extent your flat mates are disgustingly filthy and lack any form of clenliness.
I'm hopefully starting at york this year :smile: I'm going to go for an ensuite and that's only because I find sharing a bathroom with people who aren't my family a bit weird but I'm not going to be less sociable :smile:
Reply 3
I would go for En-suite, if you take a long time in the bathroom in the morning, and other's do too, it'll be a pain so you might as well get en-suite, There's only En-suite in the halls I've applied too, and it's the most social/partyish accomodation as well
I had an ensuite last year in halls and it was actually one of the best things about my accommodation! It was handy when we were all in uni at the same time in the morning, and when there were multiple flatmates going out at the same time since we all had our own showers, toilets and sinks. Plus, any mess in the bathroom is 100% your own so it's much less disgusting to clean. Absolutely go for ensuite if you can!
Reply 5
I don't quite get why people say that ensuites are less sociable - are you planning to talk to people on the loo? :confused:
Reply 6
Ensuite is complete waste of money but I'll leave it at that, trying to persuade someone otherwise would be like trying to persuade an illiterate person who heavily criticizes immigration of the benefits of immigration.
Reply 7
En-suites are ace! If you have the extra money definitely go for it.

Not really sure where you've got the less sociable thing from... it's not like people in shared accommodation sit around on the toilets having a chat. I lived in en-suite halls for 2 years with two sets of very sociable flatmates.
Reply 8
Just to make a quick point. You are probably going to have to share a bathroom of you move out of halls in 2nd year.

So you will have to get used to sharing. Very few student houses have ensuites maybe one room will if you are lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks for all the advice!
I'd go for shared if I were you. I remember when I was choosing accommodation for my 1st year, I was favouring ensuite myself (although I was given shared in the end haha). But looking back, I think its pointless having ensuite, because think about it this way, you'll almost certainly have to live in a shared flat/house when you move out for your 2nd and 3rd year, and it will most likely not have ensuite rooms. So why bothered getting yourself all comfortable for just one year? and think of the money you'd save.

Its better to get used to sharing a bathroom with other people sooner rather than later.
Original post by Kathiye
I don't quite get why people say that ensuites are less sociable - are you planning to talk to people on the loo? :confused:

I think its the perception that the type of people who go for ensuite accommodation tend to be less sociable, so you'll be living with them. Being very clear, I'm not implying that true, but I think thats the line of thinking people may have when they choose accommodation. I've personally never experienced that, but then again I have only ever been inside an en suite flat one or two times during my entire 1st year, so I don't really know.
Reply 12
I had an en suite in halls during 1st year and whilst it was very handy, I could have personally gone without one. It really depends who you live with. I shared a bathroom with 3 other guys for my 2nd year and it wasn't too bad at all since they were clean and considerate. There wasn't too much of a rush in the morning either. For my 3rd year I'm sharing one bathroom between me and another guy, it will be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by Red Richie
I think its the perception that the type of people who go for ensuite accommodation tend to be less sociable, so you'll be living with them. Being very clear, I'm not implying that true, but I think thats the line of thinking people may have when they choose accommodation. I've personally never experienced that, but then again I have only ever been inside an en suite flat one or two times during my entire 1st year, so I don't really know.

I think most people opt for en suite because they don't know who they're living with for their first year so don't know how considerate and clean they are. Most people move into student houses after first year where they'll be sharing bathrooms with people they've known for a while.

I don't think there is any consideration on the social aspect. If they wanted to keep themselves to themselves they probably would have went all the way for a studio.
Maybe look at the difference in price?
I originally applied for shared but had an ensuite this year (it was expensive but I didn't get a choice) and after seeing how lazy and unclean some of the people I was living with were, I'm glad I didn't have to share a bathroom with them. It's also a lot easier when you're getting ready to go out/go to uni because there's usually more than one person getting ready

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found that the accommodations around me that were en-suite were less sociable, I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it is en-suite so much as the people that decide to get them (not that en-suite people themselves are necessarily unsociable themselves).

I personally wouldn't bother with en-suite though because of the sheer cost of it, not worth an extra grand I don't think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending