The Student Room Group

Just missing a 2:1

In my second year I have just missed a 2:1. My overall grade is 58%.
In non pure modules such as decision support I have got really bad grades but in pure maths stuff I have got really really high marks.

I am looking to go to imperial to do the MSc in Advanced computational methods for Aeronautics, Flow Management and Fluid-Structure Interaction at Imperial.
Is this course really really competitive? Will that 58% really hold me back? I go to a low ranked university.

A couple of years ago I did lots of work experience at engineering firms including a top military firm in their aerospace division. I am looking to go back to this firm to do more work experience.
Email the course leaders.
Ok, do you personally think I could be in with a shot?
I can believe Imperial are still recruiting for some of their courses for msc for this year.
Can't you resit those modules?
Taken directly from the page on our website:

Applicants should have a good Second or First Class Honours degree, or equivalent overseas qualification, preferably in engineering, physics, mathematics or computer science.
Reply 5
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Can't you resit those modules?

University courses don't work like that. If you pass a module, that's your lot. You can't keep taking it until you get the result you want.

The only time you'll usually be offered a resit is if you fail it first time round. At my undergrad uni, you might have been allowed to resit if you had some kind if problem during the first exam attempt e.g. you got sick part way through, but it's more likely that you would be granted "Mitigating Circumstances" and have your grade adjusted to take account of that. By that stage for many courses, you will also have submitted coursework which contributes to the module mark. Again, you would only be able to resubmit if you failed it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mathmatician
Ok, do you personally think I could be in with a shot?
I can believe Imperial are still recruiting for some of their courses for msc for this year.

I don't know anything about Imperial or their admissions policies for that course (and it'll be hard to find someone on here that does); the only people really qualified to give an opinion would be their course directors.
Reply 7
Really, I can tell you, it means nothing IF those sort of grades don't repeat. If you repeatedly score lowly on your fluids related modules, it'll make things a lot more difficult. You can explain in a cover letter that it was a blip and you have learnt from those mistakes and are now on course for much stronger grades this time round. So its possible, don't worry, focus on this year and you'll make it. The key is making it come across (regarding the fluids units) that the low mark in one of em was a blip and not something common in your studies.

If you've scored lowly in other units which aren't related to fluids, well, I don't think they'll care but if the course is competitive, naturally they'll choose individuals with better grades.

The advice above is best though, speak to the course directors.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
University courses don't work like that. If you pass a module, that's your lot. You can't keep taking it until you get the result you want.

The only time you'll usually be offered a resit is if you fail it first time round. At my undergrad uni, you might have been allowed to resit if you had some kind if problem during the first exam attempt e.g. you got sick part way through, but it's more likely that you would be granted "Mitigating Circumstances" and have your grade adjusted to take account of that. By that stage for many courses, you will also have submitted coursework which contributes to the module mark. Again, you would only be able to resubmit if you failed it.

Really? Some unis seem to allow you to resit during the summer, a friend at KCL did so he could get higher than a pass in his first year. I think it really depends on the uni, and some may force you to do an extra year if you do that badly (judging by my friend's experience).
Reply 9
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Really? Some unis seem to allow you to resit during the summer, a friend at KCL did so he could get higher than a pass in his first year. I think it really depends on the uni, and some may force you to do an extra year if you do that badly (judging by my friend's experience).

Weird. I've never heard of an undergrad being allowed to resit something they've already passed, simply in order to get a higher mark. In any case, your first year mark generally doesnt count towards your final degree result, so I'm not sure what value your friend would have got out of it.

At my undergrad uni, you had to completely retake entire modules the following year if you failed the resit/resubmission. If you failed four or more modules, you had to retake the entire year (regardless of the marks you got for the modules you'd passed, which were wiped out and started again).
In non pure modules such as decision support I have got really bad grades but in pure maths stuff I have got really really high marks.

I am looking to go to imperial to do the MSc in Advanced computational methods for Aeronautics, Flow Management and Fluid-Structure Interaction at Imperial.
Is this course really really competitive? Will that 58% really hold me back? I go to a low ranked university.

A couple of years ago I did lots of work experience at engineering firms including a top military firm in their aerospace division. I am looking to go back to this firm to do more work experience.

Typcially masters degrees tend to be a bit less competitive: there is a smaller applicant pool and they are funded by the students, not the government, so there aren't the traditional quotas.

On the flip side, however, Imperial clearly states that they want a 'good 2.1' and 2.2s aren't traditionally considered good 2.1s. If I were in your position I would consider applying to other masters (e.g. http://www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/engineering/msc-aerospace-engineering/). If you've got the work experience and can combine that with the relevant masters, that may well work well for you... it may just be difficult for you to get onto the IMperial masters course.

Typcially masters degrees tend to be a bit less competitive: there is a smaller applicant pool and they are funded by the students, not the government, so there aren't the traditional quotas.

On the flip side, however, Imperial clearly states that they want a 'good 2.1' and 2.2s aren't traditionally considered good 2.1s. If I were in your position I would consider applying to other masters (e.g. http://www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/engineering/msc-aerospace-engineering/). If you've got the work experience and can combine that with the relevant masters, that may well work well for you... it may just be difficult for you to get onto the IMperial masters course.
Original post by bownessie

Thanks for your reply, I emailed the admission tutors at Imperial and they say thy do not care about second year grades. They are more interested in your final degree mark and the modules you do in the third year. They also care about what your tutors predict you.
Did you eventually apply and receive any offer?
Reply 14
Original post by AppliedMaths
Did you eventually apply and receive any offer?

If you check the OP's recent posts, they're doing an MSc at Sussex. So they got into a Masters, just not at their preferred uni and presumably not their preferred course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending