The Student Room Group

Coursework worries - will I get disqualified?

Alright, so I am taking a GCSE in ICT and this year we have completed 2 pieces coursework. In one of them, we created a spreadsheet solution in Excel that will help the owner of a dog kennel log his customers details. To show our products working, we had to put some sample data in. Being the edgy fourteen year old that I am, I decided to put stupid names and addresses in and am now really worried about the repercussions of this, some examples below.

Kim Ching Chong, from the town Ding Dong, postcode N00D L35
Cockbush Lane, Whiskey Dick Mountain, US

You get the idea. I put a few average names in (Tim Cook) etc but my point is I'm worried if the examiner will turn it down/disqualify me. Having said that, there is a high chance my work won't get sent into moderation, and even if it does this is the only piece that has stupid work on it. Although I realise this was complete idiotic, and I'd never do it again, I didn't cheat or come in late or bring a phone into the exam, etc . Do you think I'll be ok? I spoken to the teacher and he said that there were a few others that have done the same. I'm happy with the grade he has given me on the work but fear I could be disqualified. Your thoughts? Thanks

Edit: Accidentally put this in the wrong section, so I reposted here.
I also did GCSE ICT.. Has your coursework been sent for moderation?
Original post by Toxic_Legends
I also did GCSE ICT.. Has your coursework been sent for moderation?

Hey there mate, thanks for the reply. I'm in year 10 and I've completed all of my coursework, but I don't know if any of it has been sent yet. I imagine they'll wait until year 11?
Reply 3
Suppose it would depend on what examiner you get? I personally would find it funny and you haven't done the work wrong or cheated so I wouldn't worry. Plus, as you said your work might not even be moderated anyway.
Original post by MattMc
Suppose it would depend on what examiner you get? I personally would find it funny and you haven't done the work wrong or cheated so I wouldn't worry. Plus, as you said your work might not even be moderated anyway.

this is exactly what I was thinking. Obviously I regret doing it but as my teacher told me, I'm not the only one to have done it. In addition to this, the other piece of coursework I'm about to complete has so such thing of the sort, and my teacher said if it does get sent it could submit an apology. I'm sure it'll go fine, thanks
Reply 5
If your teacher knows why don't they just let you change it? I know you aren't supposed to but you wouldn't be changing anything that would change marks, only the names which essentially shouldn't effect your grade.
Original post by MattMc
If your teacher knows why don't they just let you change it? I know you aren't supposed to but you wouldn't be changing anything that would change marks, only the names which essentially shouldn't effect your grade.

Because he's stubborn. I brought this up with him, he said there was no editing work after submission. He's one of those teachers.
Anyway, I'm not really worried about things like Whiskeydick Mt (which coincidentally is a real place) but things like the asian name, since that could be seen as racism... I doubt it though. I mean if John Smith is an english stereotype and Lee Cheng Chong is an asian stereotype surely that doesn't constitute it being offensive?
Reply 8
I guess you could argue that it was offensive, and arguing that it wasn't would just be digging a larger hole. Bear in mind examiners must plough through hundreds of pieces of work and probably don't pay that much attention to small details. I really doubt they are able to disqualify you. In the history exams you can argue that Hitler was a good guy, and if you argue well you can still get full marks. With my IT coursework, they submitted a range of pieces. Our teacher graded our work as we went along and so they selected the highest graded students and some middle ones and low grade ones to show a broad scale. It was only about 5-10 that were selected out of 200 odd applicants. Just hope you were able to hide and won't be selected for moderation. They won't be able to disqualify you anyway, I don't think, that's if they even notice.
I would ask to have it moderated. I'm doing my media course and Edecel come and check it every now and again..
Yeah, I agree it was definitely a stupid thing to do, and I would never try to pass it off as not a bad thing... :-( I don't know, the other coursework I've done hasn't got anything of the sort on it and my work is to a pretty good standard so I guess I'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest