The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

I'm going to do my A levels this coming September however, I am struggling to decide which options to take. If any of you have taken any of the following options could you let me know what your opinions of it were and whether you would recommend it?

My options are:

Business Studies
Economics
ICT
FIlm Studies
Photography
Media Studies

I can only choose 4 out of those so any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Georgiaa25
I'm going to do my A levels this coming September however, I am struggling to decide which options to take. If any of you have taken any of the following options could you let me know what your opinions of it were and whether you would recommend it?

My options are:

Business Studies
Economics
ICT
FIlm Studies
Photography
Media Studies

Thanks!

Do you have any idea what you want to do after A-Levels? A Uni Course? A career? :smile:

My options are:

Business Studies
Economics
ICT
FIlm Studies
Photography
Media Studies

Thanks!

Film, Media, ICT, and Photography are all very "soft A-levels", so be wary of that.
Reply 3
Original post by Neuth
Do you have any idea what you want to do after A-Levels? A Uni Course? A career? :smile:

I'd preferably like to go into business at uni and then into business for a career, possibly marketing or something along those lines :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Solivagant
Film, Media, ICT, and Photography are all very "soft A-levels", so be wary of that.

What do you mean when you say "soft A-levels"?
I'd preferably like to go into business at uni and then into business for a career, possibly marketing or something along those lines :smile:

If you're thinking of going in to business, then why not do maths economics English language and business studies? It'll show a range of skills and these alevels are more highly regarded than media studies or ict :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Mini-Minion
If you're thinking of going in to business, then why not do maths economics English language and business studies? It'll show a range of skills and these alevels are more highly regarded than media studies or ict :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought that, but Maths and English are not my strong points when it comes to exams and they came out my lowest grades due to that so it doesn't always reflect so well sadly :frown:
Reply 7

I'd say Business Studies, Economics, ICT and Photography then :yep:

What do you mean when you say "soft A-levels"?

He means they are considered 'weak' subjects, so to speak. Some universities will blacklist subjects, meaning that they aren't really appreciated/classed as subjects. Hard subjects are basically anything academic :yep:
Reply 8
Original post by Neuth
I'd say Business Studies, Economics, ICT and Photography then :yep:

He means they are considered 'weak' subjects, so to speak. Some universities will blacklist subjects, meaning that they aren't really appreciated/classed as subjects. Hard subjects are basically anything academic :yep:

Thank you!

And I've been looking at universities, and the one I particularly want to go to is two full A-levels at a grade B so I'm hoping if I do get a least B's then it would qualify

My options are:

Business Studies
Economics
ICT
FIlm Studies
Photography
Media Studies

Thanks!

Definitely do economics and don't do business (as they overlap a lot it isn't a good idea to do both and economics is more highly respected). All of the others are 'soft' subjects so not very highly regarded by unis. It would be better to choose two other 'hard' subjects and one of those 'soft' subjects (maybe ICT?). Some other hard subjects could be: english literature, history, geography, bio, chem, physics, maths or a foreign language. Whichever you think you're likely to get the best grades in.
Reply 10
Thank you!

And I've been looking at universities, and the one I particularly want to go to is two full A-levels at a grade B so I'm hoping if I do get a least B's then it would qualify

It's okay! :hugs:

Ahh, that's fine then :smile: I'm sure you'll do amazingly :yep:
Thank you!

The list someone gave above is likely to be completely fine in this case:smile: Blacklisted subjects are only really common in a few universities that are highly selective, they'd be fine at most. Only problem is that you'll run into issues without maths so I'd look at the university's entry requirements before making any final decisions
Reply 12
Original post by GeogBerry
The list someone gave above is likely to be completely fine in this case:smile: Blacklisted subjects are only really common in a few universities that are highly selective, they'd be fine at most. Only problem is that you'll run into issues without maths so I'd look at the university's entry requirements before making any final decisions

Thank you,
and I have GCSE maths and I passed that okay, so hopefully I won't have to do that,

I didn't want to do too many academic courses because I struggled doing that at GCSE and I've taken a year out, so I'm doing my A-levels a year later and I feel a bit out of practice with coursework and exam study so I was worried about giving myself too much work load
Thank you,
and I have GCSE maths and I passed that okay, so hopefully I won't have to do that,

I didn't want to do too many academic courses because I struggled doing that at GCSE and I've taken a year out, so I'm doing my A-levels a year later and I feel a bit out of practice with coursework and exam study so I was worried about giving myself too much work load

Go with what you're interested in. It's very hard to revise for anything you don't care about and therefore it's hard to do well in them. If you think you'd be likely to get BB in business, photography ect. then go for that. Since finishing A levels, I've realised that (well I'm doing a biochemistry degree so I needed to take 2 sciences) it doesn't really matter what you took, as long as you get good grades

Quick Reply

Latest