The Student Room Group

laptop or tablet ?

Im starting uni next year is a tablet better than a laptop or the other way round ?
What course are you doing?

Will you just be reading and annotating pdfs or will you need to run some software such as MATLAB? If the former then a tablet will do.
Reply 2
Original post by PaoloOwens96
Im starting uni next year is a tablet better than a laptop or the other way round ?

If you will be doing essays then a Laptop is the obvious answer.

Don't forget you can get Laptop/Tablet hybrids where the screen detaches. However this is usually Windows 8 which is absolutely dreadful.

If your course requires no essays then a tablet would be fine.
I would say laptop over tablet. Tablets don't really make simple things like essays in word that easy. Don't get me wrong, you could do them on a tablet but it seems like a lot of effort.
I would suggest if your going to get one or the other to get a laptop, would be much easier for research and essay writing, and capable of running any software you may need, only downside is that it's less portable than a tablet
Laptop, tablets have very little use at uni (or anywhere really)
Reply 6
Original post by PaoloOwens96

Original post by EasyReppin
What course are you doing?

Will you just be reading and annotating pdfs or will you need to run some software such as MATLAB? If the former then a tablet will do.

if you have the money, get both.
Tablet for lectures, tutorials and seminars.
Laptop for at home or when doing your essays.
Get a voice recorder too, to record lectures and seminars.
It really helps when you head back home and playback what your lecturer had said earlier.
well at least it works for me :wink:
Original post by Maura Kat
if you have the money, get both.
Tablet for lectures, tutorials and seminars.
Laptop for at home or when doing your essays.
Get a voice recorder too, to record lectures and seminars.
It really helps when you head back home and playback what your lecturer had said earlier.
well at least it works for me :wink:

Must be pretty slow lectures if its easy to keep up on a tablet without making a mess. I've watched people try to make notes on a tablet, they only tried once. Nothing is beating pen and paper any time soon.
Reply 8
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the pen/paper method.
But I did not bring it up since OP had a specific question which was laptop or tablet.

If it was me, I'll stick to pen/paper, a voice recorder and a laptop.
But if you're tight on funds then pen/paper and a voice recorder would suffice.
They are tons of computers in the uni library. You can always use those for typing out your essays.
Laptop, hands-down.
1. There's a wider range to chose from
2. A tablet can be extremely awkward at times
3. Number of ports on a Tablet. They hardly have any, sometimes none.
4. What you could do with a tablet, you'd be able to do it with a smartphone.
5. You can find light weight laptops
6. The laptop will still be useable after uni.
7. The list goes on...
However, I'm not going to deny that a Tablet has some benefits.
I see what you are saying, I want to go and do medicine (answering the first questions), soo I think laptop is best after what you have said, thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending