The Student Room Group

human science

does anyone know what universities offer a human science degree?

Scroll to see replies

Go to the UCAS website or Unistats and you should be able to find a list.
Reply 2
Original post by PythianLegume
Go to the UCAS website or Unistats and you should be able to find a list.

thanks i checked but only found ucl oxford kings and exeter? is it possble that only 4 unis in uk offer it?
Original post by cchocolate
thanks i checked but only found ucl oxford kings and exeter? is it possble that only 4 unis in uk offer it?

It's not a hugely common course. I imagine most universities split it up into its constituents, doing courses like anthropology instead.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
It's not a hugely common course. I imagine most universities split it up into its constituents, doing courses like anthropology instead.

oh ok so when i write my personal statement do i have to apply it to both human science and another course for my other university option?
oh ok so when i write my personal statement do i have to apply it to both human science and another course for my other university option?

Well I imagine your other course will cover similar material. You don't have to make it obvious you're applying for human sciences at most universities, just talk about how you're interested in that sort of stuff. Given it's a field and not a pure subject, this should be easily doable. Human Sciences admissions tutors are probably also very used to getting applicants who've applied for different, but related, courses elsewhere, too.
Reply 6
Well I imagine your other course will cover similar material. You don't have to make it obvious you're applying for human sciences at most universities, just talk about how you're interested in that sort of stuff. Given it's a field and not a pure subject, this should be easily doable. Human Sciences admissions tutors are probably also very used to getting applicants who've applied for different, but related, courses elsewhere, too.

oh ok thanks because example personal statements ive seen for human science usually say how they dont want to study biology as a whole but want to study humans in every aspect, do you think i should just focus on my love of human biology in personal statement or include other aspects too such as the envronment which isnt covered in human science?
oh ok thanks because example personal statements ive seen for human science usually say how they dont want to study biology as a whole but want to study humans in every aspect, do you think i should just focus on my love of human biology in personal statement or include other aspects too such as the envronment which isnt covered in human science?

I wouldn't stray from human science in your personal statement if that's making up 4 of your 5 applications, and is your preferred course.
Reply 8
I wouldn't stray from human science in your personal statement if that's making up 4 of your 5 applications, and is your preferred course.

to be honest its only gonna make up 2 at the most as i wont apply to oxford and i need an as grade a in chemistry for kngs so wont apply there either, im only left with exeter and ucl, however ucl human science is my top choice and would love to study it at ucl
to be honest its only gonna make up 2 at the most as i wont apply to oxford and i need an as grade a in chemistry for kngs so wont apply there either, im only left with exeter and ucl, however ucl human science is my top choice and would love to study it at ucl

Well, I'd try to tailor your personal statement to fit both human sciences and the other course you apply for. You're perfectly allowed to say 'I like Biology, and especially Human Biology' and then spend most of the personal statement discussing that rather than Biology more generally (this goes for whatever course you might apply for besides human sciences.)
Reply 10
Well, I'd try to tailor your personal statement to fit both human sciences and the other course you apply for. You're perfectly allowed to say 'I like Biology, and especially Human Biology' and then spend most of the personal statement discussing that rather than Biology more generally (this goes for whatever course you might apply for besides human sciences.)

oh ok thanks youve been a great help
Reply 11
does anyone know what universities offer a human science degree?

UCl, Exeter, Oxford, Sheffield, and Durham offer Human sciences. Cambridge does something similar called Human and Political sciences. I have UCL as my firm for Human sciences and Durham as my insurance. It's true that Human sciences is not that common - its just one of those things. When I say I am going to study Human Sciences, the question that inevitably follows is " What is that?"
Reply 12
Original post by LarissaN
UCl, Exeter, Oxford, Sheffield, and Durham offer Human sciences. Cambridge does something similar called Human and Political sciences. I have UCL as my firm for Human sciences and Durham as my insurance. It's true that Human sciences is not that common - its just one of those things. When I say I am going to study Human Sciences, the question that inevitably follows is " What is that?"

wow you are so lucky!! you must be really clever!!
it would be my absolute dream to study human science at ucl next year
do you mind me asking what your predicted grades are and good luck
Reply 13
wow you are so lucky!! you must be really clever!!
it would be my absolute dream to study human science at ucl next year
do you mind me asking what your predicted grades are and good luck

I don't feel so lucky now. I have always wanted to study at UCL too! When they gave me an offer I was just soo gassed :biggrin: :biggrin: but I'm not sure now. I will have to wait for results day to decide my fate. I have just finished year 13 and my predicted grades were A*AA
Reply 14
I don't feel so lucky now. I have always wanted to study at UCL too! When they gave me an offer I was just soo gassed :biggrin: :biggrin: but I'm not sure now. I will have to wait for results day to decide my fate. I have just finished year 13 and my predicted grades were A*AA

lool but you only need 3 As right? lol i say only what subjects do you do?
:biggrin: good luck im sure you'll get in even if you dont get 3 As they might still let you in right
Reply 15
lool but you only need 3 As right? lol i say only what subjects do you do?
:biggrin: good luck im sure you'll get in even if you dont get 3 As they might still let you in right

Yhh for UCL...but my exams weren't great. So I doubt I will be getting three A's. I did Sociology, Psychology, French( UCL loves students with a foreign language), and English Literature. Ermm...whether they let me in without 3a's i don't know, but I pray they do. Worst case scenario I will end up in Durham. :frown: I mean Durham is just as good, but its just not UCL(London baby!!!)
Reply 16
Yhh for UCL...but my exams weren't great. So I doubt I will be getting three A's. I did Sociology, Psychology, French( UCL loves students with a foreign language), and English Literature. Ermm...whether they let me in without 3a's i don't know, but I pray they do. Worst case scenario I will end up in Durham. :frown: I mean Durham is just as good, but its just not UCL(London baby!!!)

lool yh londons the best but durhams really pretty , they filmed harry potter there i think so dont you need biology to do human science at ucl?i kno i wish i picked spanish for a level but im not doing any languages , but im gonna casually mention my 2 a stars at gcse for french and spanish lool
good luck hopefully ull get in
Reply 17
lool yh londons the best but durhams really pretty , they filmed harry potter there i think so dont you need biology to do human science at ucl?i kno i wish i picked spanish for a level but im not doing any languages , but im gonna casually mention my 2 a stars at gcse for french and spanish loolgood luck hopefully ull get in
Yeah, quite a few of the current students mentioned Biology would be helpful at the open day, but then I spoke to the admission tutor, and he said it wasn't a necessity... so I'm good :smile: but just to be prepared, and to avoid any nasty surprises in September I have started teaching myself Alevel biology. Funtimes# and thats's great! well done man, :clap2: Im sure that will help. I got A* in French too.
Reply 18
Yeah, quite a few of the current students mentioned Biology would be helpful at the open day, but then I spoke to the admission tutor, and he said it wasn't a necessity... so I'm good :smile: but just to be prepared, and to avoid any nasty surprises in September I have started teaching myself Alevel biology. Funtimes# and thats's great! well done man, :clap2: Im sure that will help. I got A* in French too.

yay high 5 yh thats useful if u just read the bio cgp book i guess , you have a fuuuun summer lol if you do get in can you tell me what its like studying human science at ucl?:biggrin: thanks and well done on your amazing predicted results
Reply 19

Hey did you get in for human science if so do you know what humanities topics come up in the course:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest