The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kasa
Not sure about dentist.. But probs not for medic. The average salary for a Jnr Doctor is round about 24k

The thread is regarding earning 50k during the career, not just at the start. As a medic unless you seriously mess up (ie get struck off early) you're pretty much guaranteed to make more than 50k, you just won't hit the crazy heights of IB etc (unless you either become involved in medical entrepreneurship or go to America but that is further complicated by malpractice insurance etc)
Original post by plrodham1
Neurosurgeons aren't that well paid compared to other surgical specialties, their only source of private income is spinal surgery the procedures in which aren't crazy expensive (to the patient/insurance company). If you want to make money in surgery plastics or orthopaedics is how you do it

^^ A lot of people automatically assume brain surgeons are paid loads of money but there isnt a demand for brain surgeons as much as dermatologists, orthodontists etc in private practice (where all the money is made)
Original post by alevelzzz
^^ A lot of people automatically assume brain surgeons are paid loads of money but there isnt a demand for brain surgeons as much as dermatologists, orthodontists etc in private practice (where all the money is made)

Yeah, they can only really go through spinal which, if i had made all that effort to become a neurosurgeon, i would not want to do for the rest of my life

Edit - They are however the highest earners in America i believe
3D animation VFX people.
Thats why I adressed this in the post apart from medicine and dentistry, all other degrees' worth is based on the university its from.
I think a lot of people dont realise how much 50k really is on TSR too. Outside of London, 50k is a SERIOUSLY good salary.

But the problem is that it's difficult to earn more than 50K before the age of 30, unless you live in London. That's where most of the top jobs are.
Original post by plrodham1
Yeah, they can only really go through spinal which, if i had made all that effort to become a neurosurgeon, i would not want to do for the rest of my life

Edit - They are however the highest earners in America i believe

Incredible individuals brain surgeons though. You REALLY dont have a life though
Yes, America is a completely different story all together. Dentists and doctors alike are VERY handsomely paid in america lol.
Original post by tengentoppa
But the problem is that it's difficult to earn more than 50K before the age of 30, unless you live in London. That's where most of the top jobs are.

Dentists are on 60k on average as an associate(including part time). They'll be 25-30 years old.
I know people who graduated with 2:2's in subjects like history of art currently earning £250k+ and I know people with 2:1's in maths struggling to get work that doesn't merit a degree, the highest earning maths graduate I know is earning £18k. Life lesson here is it doesn't matter what sort of degree you have what matters are the people you are connected to.
Reply 48
Do you reckon dentistry grads will be near the finance/maths grads, those who go into implantology/ortho etc

if you look at average salary, dentistry will be higher but the highest finance grads will always be highest because of investment banking.

a dentistry grad from a decent uni with a 2:1 should be getting 50+ easily. I'm not very familiar with branches within dentistry or medicine, but that entire field is full of money earners, don't worry you'll have a very comfortable life (in terms of pay and hours etc).
Reply 49
Brain surgeons aren't actually paid that much VERY surprisingly. Most if not all their work is in the NHS and so they will be paid ~100k as a consultant. A dermatologist makes more than a brain surgeon in the UK since theres more scope for private practice and their hours are most likely a lot better.
Orthodontists almost exclusively work privately and so their pay is a lot more.

Yes orthodontists make around 150k-200k at the top.
You reminded me I need to go to one :s-smilie:
I don't know too much about which dos make most money but I know in America it is all private I think so doctors make a lot more there than in UK.
We need more Eastern block dentists in this country to practice their high quality skills in this country. Hopefully then joe public will be able to get registered with a dentist and get service at a fair price.
Reply 51
From what I've heard/seen Vets aren't paid even close to dentists/doctors. Have no idea why.

It is the most competitive course so I thought it must have good pay.
Other than caring for animals, if the pay is not good then why do people go for it instead of medicine?
Economics
Original post by cem101
if you look at average salary, dentistry will be higher but the highest finance grads will always be highest because of investment banking.

a dentistry grad from a decent uni with a 2:1 should be getting 50+ easily. I'm not very familiar with branches within dentistry or medicine, but that entire field is full of money earners, don't worry you'll have a very comfortable life (in terms of pay and hours etc).

You dont get degree classifications in medicine/dentistry its either pass or fail. In contrast to pretty much every other degree, the place where you get a dentistry/medicine degree makes absolutely no difference. A dentistry grad. from KCL = Grad from Dundee. Same as medicine grad from cambridge = medicine grad from exeter. Their salay and likelyhood to get a job is exactly the same.
Original post by vickidc18
My fiance did Maths he's on 40k a year now and hopes to do contracting in 2 years where the pay is up to 650 a day!!!

Jesus, what does he do, and how old is he may I ask?
Original post by Limpopo
We need more Eastern block dentists in this country to practice their high quality skills in this country. Hopefully then joe public will be able to get registered with a dentist and get service at a fair price.

Saturate the dentistry market? Stupid idea. It would cost more to the tax payer since it costs ~200k to train a dentist. The student numbers are controlled by the government because its so expensive.
If that doesn't matter to you then lets get more Eastern doctors, lawyers, bankers etc too.
Original post by vickidc18
My fiance did Maths he's on 40k a year now and hopes to do contracting in 2 years where the pay is up to 650 a day!!!

Baaaaaaaallin'
Saturate the dentistry market? Stupid idea. It would cost more to the tax payer since it costs ~200k to train a dentist. The student numbers are controlled by the government because its so expensive.
If that doesn't matter to you then lets get more Eastern doctors, lawyers, bankers etc too.

No no ,i mean lets have more Eastern block immigration of qualified and highly capable dentists, lawyers,doctors,optometrists,teachers,bankers,,whatever..why not ?
Original post by ETRC
Yes orthodontists make around 150k-200k at the top.
You reminded me I need to go to one :s-smilie:
I don't know too much about which dos make most money but I know in America it is all private I think so doctors make a lot more there than in UK.

Pay in America is hugely dependant on specialty and location. A GP in America could very well be on a lower wage than one who is UK based whereas a neurosurgeon in America is pretty much guaranteed to be on a higher salary than a UK based surgeon.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ✈ ✈
Those of us with higher life goals than spitting on burgers at a fast-food chain.

1. People who earn less than 50k more often than not arent working at fast-food chains, since that kind of job usually pays about 15k per year. And there are one hell of a lot of jobs and salaries in the range 15-50k, if you hadn't noticed. Your statement polarises salaries as high/low in an extreme and unrealistic manner.

2. There are different life goals for different people .People view success in different manners and for some people it really may not be earning a salary greater than 50k that makes them happy and fulfilled.

3. Just because you are a graduate in a subject that is supposedly likely to earn you more than 50k doesn't mean that there aren't other subjects in which people either do so, or indeed other routes to go down other than getting a degree which will land you that kind of money.

People with restricted and limited minds and life goals seem to congregate on this forum. Never mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending