The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
It costs so much because he lives outside of the city, and he lives there to stay close to his friends and brother. If he moved somewhere cheaper then it'd still cost loads in gas/public transport money, as he spends all of his time in the city. He tells me he's tried to get jobs before, but they're either too far away, which would again be pointless because he'd have to pay for transport money, or there's nothing going nearer the city. I don't know if he's just not trying hard enough...He truly believes he's going to make a career for himself as a personal trainer soon.

He does get job seeker's allowance, and he's not using drugs anymore, but he's still indebted to a lot of people from that time. This is another money issue. We don't normally do things like going to gigs either, normally just stay in, which is why I can't just bail on it. It'd be really weird to everyone if I did.

Yeah, I'm 18. My parents don't approve of ANY relationship, to be honest. They're too over-protective, so I doubt they would let him stay, even if he wasn't how he is.

I hope he didn't want to do it. I can't even consider that :frown: Oh God, I'm defending him so much. I honestly don't mean to, it's just all flowing out :/

I think friends was kind of a loose term. We don't really talk, besides making plans to go out. I don't even know what you'd call us...Just a group of people that go out together? When we're out, though, we do act like friends, so maybe I could tell them then. But until then I have no one to talk to about this at all, which is probably why I'm ranting like a loser on some student forum.

I want to take time away, but I know I'll have to go to that gig :/

Anyway, sorry for ranting, but you seem like a nice understanding person :smile: Thank you so much for your input. I was wary to reveal my age because I thought it'd give people another reason to tear apart the relationship, so it's good to hear someone in the same age-range. Also good to let everything out and have some more advice to think about.

Thank you :smile:

If he gets job seekers he is entitled to housing benefit which would cover his rent.
He is also entitled to FREE education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
This guy comes across really strongly as a bull****ter and a freeloader. There are far to many contradictions in his story and the OPs answers in relation to the story.

With the amount of contradictions and the excuses OP seems to keep trying to find for this guys behaviour I cant tell whether it's a troll trying to keep the story going or just a really gullible girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miscounted_time
This guy comes across really strongly as a bull****ter and a freeloader. There are far to many contradictions in his story and the OPs answers in relation to the story.

With the amount of contradictions and the excuses OP seems to keep trying to find for this guys behaviour I cant tell whether it's a troll trying to keep the story going or just a really gullible girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't have even made the thread if I actually had people to talk to about this irl. I already feel pathetic enough for posting it. I obviously don't know every detail of his situation :/ and I'm not gullible at all. I just don't understand why HE would lie about it. He wouldn't exactly gain a lot from lying to me...
OP, just tell them you're down with the runs or some illness and you aren't able to go. Excuses are quite simple to think of, so I'm sorry to say this, but I think that in your heart, you want to go, which is why you're finding this situation difficult to get out of when it's really not.

Also, I agree that his story seems quite suspicious. Why wouldn't your boyfriend tell his LL to stop sending texts? If he did ignore them as he said, she would've stopped eventually. I don't mean to throw more doubt onto your boyfriend but it's simple to delete parts of a conversation and just show the messages that she initiated.

I feel that if he loved you, he would've borrowed money from anywhere else and not resort to sex. He wasn't forced at gunpoint to have sex with her and it takes two hands to clap. I understand that he's prideful but I can't think of anyone I'd know who'd resort to cheating on their SO rather than face their parents.

There are a thousand reasons why he'd tell you the truth - maybe it was just the effects of alcohol (as you've said, he didn't want to tell you until he got drunk) or maybe it was the overwhelming guilt. If he does have an ulterior motive, I'm sorry to say this but you seem quite dependent on him and he may think that he can get you back and he can continue stringing you along (assuming that he didn't sleep with his LL because "there's no other choice").

At the moment it seems that you keep defending him, and your judgement has been clouded. Please, please, please take a breather and think about his actions, before you go back to him (to be honest, I think you will). You need to think through whether the emotional roller coaster is worth it and what he'll do next month when it comes to rent.
OP, just tell them you're down with the runs or some illness and you aren't able to go. Excuses are quite simple to think of, so I'm sorry to say this, but I think that in your heart, you want to go, which is why you're finding this situation difficult to get out of when it's really not.

Also, I agree that his story seems quite suspicious. Why wouldn't your boyfriend tell his LL to stop sending texts? If he did ignore them as he said, she would've stopped eventually. I don't mean to throw more doubt onto your boyfriend but it's simple to delete parts of a conversation and just show the messages that she initiated.

I feel that if he loved you, he would've borrowed money from anywhere else and not resort to sex. He wasn't forced at gunpoint to have sex with her and it takes two hands to clap. I understand that he's prideful but I can't think of anyone I'd know who'd resort to cheating on their SO rather than face their parents.

There are a thousand reasons why he'd tell you the truth - maybe it was just the effects of alcohol (as you've said, he didn't want to tell you until he got drunk) or maybe it was the overwhelming guilt. If he does have an ulterior motive, I'm sorry to say this but you seem quite dependent on him and he may think that he can get you back and he can continue stringing you along (assuming that he didn't sleep with his LL because "there's no other choice").

At the moment it seems that you keep defending him, and your judgement has been clouded. Please, please, please take a breather and think about his actions, before you go back to him (to be honest, I think you will). You need to think through whether the emotional roller coaster is worth it and what he'll do next month when it comes to rent.

Thanks for the advice...You raised some good points that I hadn't thought about before :/

I guess I do want to go to the gig. It's probably the only place we'll be able to speak when not just crammed together alone, but I guess you're right about taking a step back.
I wouldn't have even made the thread if I actually had people to talk to about this irl. I already feel pathetic enough for posting it. I obviously don't know every detail of his situation :/ and I'm not gullible at all. I just don't understand why HE would lie about it. He wouldn't exactly gain a lot from lying to me...

OP it's not just your defence of him that makes you sound like a troll. It's comments like he "cant work because he lives outside the city centre"..... Most people his age live outside the city centre because the city centre is too expensive but they still manage to work. The in,y people that tend to live in the city itself are young professionals and even then they often have to share.

Also as I mentioned before, if he gets JSA he is entitled to housing benefit which would pay his rent. Therefore he didn't need to sleep with his LL.

On top of that if he was really interested in improving his life education is free because he is in receipt of JSA. Anyone who was truly motivated would know this. It's on every college website and by large common knowledge.

So it's your comments on top of his contradictory behaviour that don't make sense. However if this is genuine there's a good possibility he's messing you about but if he is genuinely sorry I think you still need to take a step back anyway until he gets his life on track. He's in no way fit to have a relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm on OP's boyfriends side. He seems like a decent guy. Everyone has got issues, everybody.
x

I can't help but feel OP, that most people posting here haven't actually lived amongst demons. Many seem to have this illusion painted by them as to what life should be, and this is the case they present to you. Respectfully, (I used to believe the same) I disagree with the majority opinion of the first page.
I can relate to your boyfriends history of abuse, and I can certainly relate to his financial struggles. Here you have a man who, despite his flaws, had a woman pressure him into sex. Think about this for a second, human beings are hard wired to **** eachother. This is deeply rooted, to the point where when we were scavanging for berries and worrying about the sabretooth tigers and ****ty weather we'd have to shelter from in order to survive, we'd still succumb to the desire to have sex with one another. For a woman of power (she controls the stability of his home) to come onto a man that's already struggled with his demons, your man made a split second decision. It's one 95% of people would've come to.
The whole thing about fidelity is relative only to our culture. He's being painted as evil and a piece of **** in this thread from a single act, one that isn't a probably in most civilizations to have existed on this planet. Monogamy was set in stone by religion, the people who believe in an invisible man in the sky who watches over everything we do, are the only ones telling us that having multiple partners is bad.
But that's irrelevant, because even if you don't buy into that and prefer the reality that people have kids, a dog and cat and live in a house with a white picket fence happily married (like his landlord probably is/was, whom still apparently dosen't buy into the monogamy bull****), then you can look at the other facts and qualities.
- He dosen't accept money from his affluent family, instead takes pride in providing for himself to the point where he'd sooner go hungry
- He discussed you at length positively with his immediate family (I wouldn't unless it was serious potential)
- He didn't pressure you into sex, despite being painted as some sort of unloyal sex fiend as many suggest here (you make a point that he didnt respond to the advances of an experienced woman over text)
- He didn't just let you know, he infact viewed himself as unworthy of you and your love and broke up with you immediately

You're boyfriend is a victim, OP. Ive met and continue to mingle with the lowest forms of humanity, true demons. Forgive me for sounding like a c*nt here but on a student forum, many people posting here are truly naive to the complexities of people when in the extremes. Read the above points and there is no way anyone can conclude that your boyfriend is a bad person, unless they are entirely naive to reality and what happens outside of American films.
Original post by joey11223
Nah you're totally wrong mate.

I mean think about it, if the genders were reversed and a girl renting a flat had an older married landlord coming onto her all the time, then when she was late on rent he came around and she ended up having sex with him in desperation to pay the rent, would anyone say he took advantage of her? HELL NO, no they would not....I guarantee they wouldn't, not one person...nope....nadda..

lol tsr.

A 40 year old man comes over after texting countless times being flirty and suggesting sex and pushes for sex with a girl he knows is late on rent isn't taking advantage? I can do nothing but stagger back in complete awe at your complete lack of either real world experience or simple blissful naivety to what goes on in peoples lives. I sincerely hope whatever bubble it is that your living in, never pops.
Original post by Reece Sure
A 40 year old man comes over after texting countless times being flirty and suggesting sex and pushes for sex with a girl he knows is late on rent isn't taking advantage? I can do nothing but stagger back in complete awe at your complete lack of either real world experience or simple blissful naivety to what goes on in peoples lives. I sincerely hope whatever bubble it is that your living in, never pops.

wait wait wait, you're telling me that even with...

" Hell no, no, I guarantee they wouldn't (say it was taking advantage), not one person...nope.nadda, lol tsr (in the gender bias you see on this forum)" at the end of that post, you didn't detect the sarcasm?
Original post by joey11223
wait wait wait, you're telling me that even with...

" Hell no, no, I guarantee they wouldn't (say it was taking advantage), not one person...nope.nadda, lol tsr (in the gender bias you see on this forum)" at the end of that post, you didn't detect the sarcasm?

WELL SH*T!

What a dick I am, sorry brah. Theres that many white knights up on their high moral horse on this forum, I didn't even bother to read it properly. Upon closer inspection, it appears as though I am a silly tw*t.

On a side note, big up NG.
I'm on OP's boyfriends side. He seems like a decent guy. Everyone has got issues, everybody.

I can't help but feel OP, that most people posting here haven't actually lived amongst demons. Many seem to have this illusion painted by them as to what life should be, and this is the case they present to you. Respectfully, (I used to believe the same) I disagree with the majority opinion of the first page.
I can relate to your boyfriends history of abuse, and I can certainly relate to his financial struggles. Here you have a man who, despite his flaws, had a woman pressure him into sex. Think about this for a second, human beings are hard wired to **** eachother. This is deeply rooted, to the point where when we were scavanging for berries and worrying about the sabretooth tigers and ****ty weather we'd have to shelter from in order to survive, we'd still succumb to the desire to have sex with one another. For a woman of power (she controls the stability of his home) to come onto a man that's already struggled with his demons, your man made a split second decision. It's one 95% of people would've come to.
The whole thing about fidelity is relative only to our culture. He's being painted as evil and a piece of **** in this thread from a single act, one that isn't a probably in most civilizations to have existed on this planet. Monogamy was set in stone by religion, the people who believe in an invisible man in the sky who watches over everything we do, are the only ones telling us that having multiple partners is bad.
But that's irrelevant, because even if you don't buy into that and prefer the reality that people have kids, a dog and cat and live in a house with a white picket fence happily married (like his landlord probably is/was, whom still apparently dosen't buy into the monogamy bull****), then you can look at the other facts and qualities.
- He dosen't accept money from his affluent family, instead takes pride in providing for himself to the point where he'd sooner go hungry
- He discussed you at length positively with his immediate family (I wouldn't unless it was serious potential)
- He didn't pressure you into sex, despite being painted as some sort of unloyal sex fiend as many suggest here (you make a point that he didnt respond to the advances of an experienced woman over text)
- He didn't just let you know, he infact viewed himself as unworthy of you and your love and broke up with you immediately

You're boyfriend is a victim, OP. Ive met and continue to mingle with the lowest forms of humanity, true demons. Forgive me for sounding like a c*nt here but on a student forum, many people posting here are truly naive to the complexities of people when in the extremes. Read the above points and there is no way anyone can conclude that your boyfriend is a bad person, unless they are entirely naive to reality and what happens outside of American films.

I agree but I don't think it's the OPs job to fix him, she isn't qualified to do so. The boyfriend needs to start his way along the path of getting his life in order. If OP really loves him, then she needs to sacrifice herself to being by his side willing him and motivating him as he takes the baby steps towards the path of full recovery. That's a very long journey and OP is fully within her rights to say "this is long, I'm 18, I'll look elsewhere". That said if OP you do decide to stick with him, know that he will probably relapse, falter and fail some more times. But the reality is that if his heart is good, and he loves you, then despite his failings he'll get things together eventually. It's just whether you have the time patience and fortitude to stick with him. Personally, OP you're 18 so don't think you need that kind of stress, just try to get him help and leave him to professionals.
Original post by Complex Simplicity
I agree but I don't think it's the OPs job to fix him, she isn't qualified to do so. The boyfriend needs to start his way along the path of getting his life in order. If OP really loves him, then she needs to sacrifice herself to being by his side willing him and motivating him as he takes the baby steps towards the path of full recovery. That's a very long journey and OP is fully within her rights to say "this is long, I'm 18, I'll look elsewhere". That said if OP you do decide to stick with him, know that he will probably relapse, falter and fail some more times. But the reality is that if his heart is good, and he loves you, then despite his failings he'll get things together eventually. It's just whether you have the time patience and fortitude to stick with him. Personally, OP you're 18 so don't think you need that kind of stress, just try to get him help and leave him to professionals.

For sure. If I was OP I'd have left because of the reason's you'd suggested, I wouldn't want to spend my life dealing with other peoples dramas aged 18, it's a crucial age to get on the springboard and develop as a human being, I'd personally see OP's partner as crippling to their possible potential. The post I made was essentially just retaliating to all the poor misguided chaps and ladies that seem to think he is an officer in the SS, reincarnated
For sure. If I was OP I'd have left because of the reason's you'd suggested, I wouldn't want to spend my life dealing with other peoples dramas aged 18, it's a crucial age to get on the springboard and develop as a human being, I'd personally see OP's partner as crippling to their possible potential. The post I made was essentially just retaliating to all the poor misguided chaps and ladies that seem to think he is an officer in the SS, reincarnated

I think your post was very informative and needed in this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WELL SH*T!

What a dick I am, sorry brah. Theres that many white knights up on their high moral horse on this forum, I didn't even bother to read it properly. Upon closer inspection, it appears as though I am a silly tw*t.

On a side note, big up NG.

It's okay brah *hugs*
OP it's not just your defence of him that makes you sound like a troll. It's comments like he "cant work because he lives outside the city centre"..... Most people his age live outside the city centre because the city centre is too expensive but they still manage to work. The in,y people that tend to live in the city itself are young professionals and even then they often have to share.

Also as I mentioned before, if he gets JSA he is entitled to housing benefit which would pay his rent. Therefore he didn't need to sleep with his LL.

On top of that if he was really interested in improving his life education is free because he is in receipt of JSA. Anyone who was truly motivated would know this. It's on every college website and by large common knowledge.

So it's your comments on top of his contradictory behaviour that don't make sense. However if this is genuine there's a good possibility he's messing you about but if he is genuinely sorry I think you still need to take a step back anyway until he gets his life on track. He's in no way fit to have a relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I understand. I was just saying everything he'd told me before this incident about his situation.

Thanks for your words. It was good to see things from another perspective, especially since it seems EVERYONE has been against him throughout the entire relationship. The reasons you stated are actually why I haven't just left him.

Original post by Complex Simplicity

I know I'm young, that's what everyone said as a reason against him when we first started dating, and that was why I didn't want to reveal my age on the forum, but I honestly think I've matured a lot from past experiences. I don't see my age as a problem. But thanks for the advice!
Reply 95
Next week on Jeremy Kyle
I'm pretty convinced this is a troll now. Twice they have avoided addressing my point about housing benefit.
They claim their boyfriend gets JSA. If you get JSA you are entitled to HB which would pay the rent. Therefore his rent should never have been a issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact is that people are massively flawed. You just have to find someone that is compatible with you in all the ways you find most important and will cause you problems in ways that you are willing to deal with. But most of all (in my opinion) is genuinely committed to and actually wants you too.

My fiance as part of his nature is insecure, jealous, unreliable, socially anxious, bad with money, will probably never have a particularly fruitful career. He is also extremely intuitive, sensitive, as a fact would never even look at another woman, devoted, patient, emotionally extremely intelligent and the best listener anyone could meet. He might put me through the same heartache 50 times breaking the same promises for seemingly no reason, but as life partners we're ridiculously compatible. We have the same outlooks, interests, sensibilities. I of course have my own flaws of equal extremes that he has to deal with: I can be emotionally unstable, fly into crazed states that it's difficult to bring me out of. We trust each other solidly 100%, because we know each others' characters. We know our failings and can see the effort and care we take in acknowledging and trying to correct them - but also recognise it's a slow progress. We're not mindless or careless, but we are human. We enrich each other's lives to no end, even though there are things about our relationship that other people wouldn't/couldn't want to deal with.

Your relationship is only very young, you haven't even found out yet what the full extent of your problems are (we didn't until about 1.5 or 2 years into ours). But when you become extremely close to someone and are compatible, you get some idea of who and what they are and can imagine - it's part of falling in love. So the fact that already you've run into a very testing time is indicitive of the fact it will not be an easy ride. Do not expect this not to happen again in different ways, it will - he has a lot of issues. You have to decide, is this what you want? Is he committed to you, truly, in the fact that he doesn't want to hurt you? Do you think it's worth it?

Personally, no freaking way could I deal with that. I would walk away. There are certain things I could and would not deal with: alcoholism, gambling addiction, womanising and the kind of issues your boyfriend has (which are different to just womanising, hard to explain concisely but you'll understand me). All kinds of problems are psychological and longterm, they don't necessarily mean the person isn't right for you (although sometimes they aren't): I believe my fiance and I are a perfect match. Other people can and do deal with alcholism, gambling etc. and make it work. It just depends on the people.

You are also only 18, it's cliche but you will grow and change so be careful making such big decisions. That doesn't mean to say you are wrong if you do. This is your life, only you can decide how you feel is the best way to live it. With problems and extreme characters often come incredible positives. Not always, you might actually still just not be compatible enough, but sometimes.

Also, don't ever let all this be an excuse for someone to treat you badly or trap you in an abusive relationship, there's a fine line! Abuse is different to hurtful flaws that the person acknowledges and works on while overall enhancing your life.

You should maybe watch Frida, very good film. Her husband was a passionate artistic manwhore who caused her much pain but in the end was ultimately there for her. Not really the same situatioin as you, but it demonstrates my point that everyone makes their choices.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm pretty convinced this is a troll now. Twice they have avoided addressing my point about housing benefit.
They claim their boyfriend gets JSA. If you get JSA you are entitled to HB which would pay the rent. Therefore his rent should never have been a issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said, I'm just saying what he told me. I don't know every detail of his situation, and I might not even have said it right. He might get some other kind of aid. I've avoided your point because I don't know what to say to it. I'm sorry but I don't know a lot about benefits, and if he did get all of these things paid for I don't see what he would gain from lying about it.

Can't seem to give you a positive rating for some reason. But yes. Actually didn't read this until after my post, I agree though. He does sound like a genuine person to me, which is why it boils down to whether she truly is suited to him and can accept and live through his issues with him (he's a different sort to my kind of person, doesn't mean he is to hers).

I think there's a level of immaturity that seems to endure well into adulthood for a lot of people who've never had to learn more about human nature. The difficult part is, I don't want to sell anyone down the river making them think they should pursue when actually they have just misjudged a person/their actual compatibility with them and they would both be better off following different paths. Somehow don't feel like that's the case in this thread, just always could be wrong.

Latest