The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
From a pharmacist's perspective: hospital pharmacists, industrial pharmacists, and some community pharmacists

please....
Original post by AdamCee
Jesus, what does he do, and how old is he may I ask?

He's 26 & a senior data analyst.
Reply 62
Original post by alevelzzz
You dont get degree classifications in medicine/dentistry its either pass or fail. In contrast to pretty much every other degree, the place where you get a dentistry/medicine degree makes absolutely no difference. A dentistry grad. from KCL = Grad from Dundee. Same as medicine grad from cambridge = medicine grad from exeter. Their salay and likelyhood to get a job is exactly the same.

wow, thats odd, learn something new every day.
Original post by Temporality
1. People who earn less than 50k more often than not arent working at fast-food chains, since that kind of job usually pays about 15k per year. And there are one hell of a lot of jobs and salaries in the range 15-50k, if you hadn't noticed. Your statement polarises salaries as high/low in an extreme and unrealistic manner.

Let me start by saying that you're being unnecessarily argumentative - let's remember you're the one who ever-so-constructively posted 'who gives a *****'.

We need to put this into context. The whole point of attending university is to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to enter your chosen industry. the OP is essentially asking what degrees/careers would offer the best ROI on your investment in becoming a graduate. This is why I am sure that your initial post is immature and not constructive whatsoever.

Let's be very clear here - I am very aware that graduate salaries vary widely anyway, however I am not polarizing anything. Let's not be ambiguous, career progression for a graduate is far greater than someone who is a non-grad working catering/retail, doing a menial job - and if you read between the lines, the OP is asking about scope for growth, and so graduates will inevitably be able to earn more than someone at McDonald's.

2. There are different life goals for different people .People view success in different manners and for some people it really may not be earning a salary greater than 50k that makes them happy and fulfilled.

I am not going to disagree, however that point is completely irrelevant in this thread, which is asking about graduate salaries. I think you would be hard pressed to find a graduate who would be happy to work within the aforementioned industries.

3. Just because you are a graduate in a subject that is supposedly likely to earn you more than 50k doesn't mean that there aren't other subjects in which people either do so, or indeed other routes to go down other than getting a degree which will land you that kind of money.

Again, irrelevant. It's well known that having a degree in a certain field is going to land you a good job, and that, as you mentioned works both ways. However this thread is about the likelihood of an individuals earning power in relation to their graduate subject.

Oh and again to remove ambiguity, I am not a graduate myself.

People with restricted and limited minds and life goals seem to congregate on this forum. Never mind.

I don't even need to comment on the last thing you posted, however I think you will find you need to look inwards in order to find someone who matches that description.
Reply 64
Architects, lawyers, chemical engineers..
Original post by cem101
wow, thats odd, learn something new every day.

Why is that odd lol. Do you think dentists or doctors trained at one uni are going to be less able than those trained at others? That would be absolutely ridiculous haha. Its the same reason why AAA is the entry requirement at every uni.
Original post by PrincePauper
please....

What?

Most industrial pharmacists who work in quality control earn well over 50k.

Hospital pharmacists can earn 50k about 8-10 years after graduating, and if they move up that fast, they will probably be at Chief Pharmacist level (77-98k) 5 years after that.

Most community pharmacists earn between 40-45k, and most pharmacist managers earn 50k+.

There are other sectors of pharmacy too, but they're less common, e.g. academia, and regulatory pharmacy
What?

Hospital pharmacists can earn 50k about 8-10 years after graduating, and if they move up that fast, they will probably be at Chief Pharmacist level (77-98k) 5 years after that.

Most community pharmacists earn between 40-45k, and most pharmacist managers earn 50k+.

There are other sectors of pharmacy too, but they're less common, e.g. academia, and regulatory pharmacy

Retail pharmacy makes up the VAST majority of the sector though.
Original post by ✈ ✈

however I am not polarizing anything

I think you should probably admit that introducing a burger joint job in opposition to earning 50k+ was absoloutely you polarizing something. Also whilst you're rabbiting on about graduates I hope you do realise that a lot of today's 'graduates' end up working in McDs.

argumentative.

Well yes, I constructed an argument in response to your post about having higher life goals (in your own opinion) than spitting on burgers. If you want to construe me constructing an argument in response to that, as me being argumentative, go right ahead.

let's remember you're the one who ever-so-constructively posted 'who gives a *****'

Yeah that''s my opinion. I don't care about getting a degree to earn 50k+ in the light that I see the world. And I wanted to express my indifference by saying 'who gives a ****'. I don't see how expressing indifference towards a certain life choice is immature.

I don't even need to comment on the last thing you posted, however I think you will find you need to look inwards in order to find someone who matches that description.

If you have the skewed tunnelled vision you appear to possess, then I can see why you might think that.
Chemistry graduates for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that''s my opinion. I don't care about getting a degree to earn 50k+ in the light that I see the world. And I wanted to express my indifference by saying 'who gives a ****'. I don't see how expressing indifference towards a certain life choice is immature.

If you were compelled to express your indifference then I'm sure that you could have put it in a much better manner than that - or at least jusitfy why that is your opinion in your original post.

I've worked in retail & catering for years, including within managerial positions, so that's just my opinion on the matter.

Let's just agree to disagree.
What?

I know a pharmacy manager for a big chain, and thats not the case
Original post by 96jaimin96
But in London it is crap.

I wouldn't go that far.

In London, there will be a lot of people earning a lot more than £50k. However £50k itself is not a bad wage to be on whilst still enjoying a reasonably good standard of living.
Original post by PrincePauper
I know a pharmacy manager for a big chain, and thats not the case

Thats a completely different sector of pharmacy. Chains are a part of retail pharmacy.
The oil and gas industry
Project manager
Project engineer
Drilling engineer
Captains of FPSO and other ships in merchant navy
Anything offshore IMO as you won't have to pay tax if you are out of country for part of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StevieA
english, psychology, sociology, anything with studies in the name..

:rolleyes:

yes, they're probably quite likely.
Are they as likely as medics/dentists?
From what I've seen earning 60k as an engineer is usually only for very experienced individuals ~15 years +

From what I've heard, a software engineer could be earning about 40k after qualifying to be chartered. And it increases a fair bit after couple of years apparently. so about 5-8 years it could be 50-60k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I certainly don't think I'll ever be on £50k+ with my career, but I'm not really that bothered to be honest. I've never had a lot so I'm kind of used to not being able to splash out on lavish holidays and expensive clothes.
Reply 77
Immunologists
Medicine and dentistry are an obvious answer, after that it gets a little blurry and it depends on the university and courses.
Wondering what you guys think?

Law, accounting easily top 50k
Original post by ✈ ✈
If you were compelled to express your indifference then I'm sure that you could have put it in a much better manner than that - or at least jusitfy why that is your opinion in your original post.

I've worked in retail & catering for years, including within managerial positions, so that's just my opinion on the matter.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Okay but I just want you to know there are many good jobs out there in the range 30-40k that give people a great sense of fulfilment. And just because they arent earning more than 50k doesnt mean they are automatically miserably working in a burger joint and 'spitting on burgers'. There is such thing as mid-ground and nuance, is all I'm saying. And on that, I'll agree to disagree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending