The Student Room Group

How should I prepare for my AS Levels?

In September 2014, I'm studying AS Level History, Biology and Philosophy (I'm also doing AS English Literature but I am already preparing for that in the right way, so I don't need advice on it) and I'd really like some advice on preparing for them.

I don't care for comments about how I don't need to bother, I want to, so what do you recommend? I don't really want to buy the CGP Head start books because I heard that they're OK but not really worth the money.

I'd appreciate all suggestions, thank you!

Scroll to see replies

For History, read up on some of the topics you're going to study so that you have more time to do extra reading/memorise in the actual academic year. But AS Levels aren't necessarily the monsters that people say they are if you're decently intelligent and have a good work ethic so if you consider yourself academically intelligent and a good worker I really don't see the point of you doing extra prep. But if you get by in exams only by swatting for your life, do some of the reading beforehand to lessen your workload.
Reply 2
Original post by Alludeen1
For History, read up on some of the topics you're going to study so that you have more time to do extra reading/memorise in the actual academic year. But AS Levels aren't necessarily the monsters that people say they are if you're decently intelligent and have a good work ethic so if you consider yourself academically intelligent and a good worker I really don't see the point of you doing extra prep. But if you get by in exams only by swatting for your life, do some of the reading beforehand to lessen your workload.

Okay, thanks. I guess I just want to start off in the zone but I know how I work best so I understand your point.

Thank you for the advice on AS History.
Buy the CGP head start books.

In all seriousness now though, I'm in the same boat and intend to buy the CGP AS level guides relevant to the exam board. My chosen college has a reputation for being sh*t, so I intend to use college as my revision as opposed to my bulk key learning.

They for sure do one for Biology, although I'm not 100% on History. Not heard about those head start guides either but I don't intend to use them, I'm going straight for gold (AS level guides). Good luck
Reply 4
Original post by Reece Sure
Buy the CGP head start books.

In all seriousness now though, I'm in the same boat and intend to buy the CGP AS level guides relevant to the exam board. My chosen college has a reputation for being sh*t, so I intend to use college as my revision as opposed to my bulk key learning.

They for sure do one for Biology, although I'm not 100% on History. Not heard about those head start guides either but I don't intend to use them, I'm going straight for gold (AS level guides). Good luck

Okay, thanks! :smile:

Some people told me not to bother purely because my sixth is in the top 20 in the UK but I don't think that matters to be honest... I might buy the head start guide for Biology. I won't go straight in with the AS guides because I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and to be honest I bought them at GCSE and barely used 3 of them. Some I never even looked at so it was a waste of storage space in my house and money.
Original post by JayJay-C19

Some people told me not to bother purely because my sixth is in the top 20 in the UK but I don't think that matters to be honest... I might buy the head start guide for Biology. I won't go straight in with the AS guides because I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and to be honest I bought them at GCSE and barely used 3 of them. Some I never even looked at so it was a waste of storage space in my house and money.

I used the CGP guides myself for GCSE are they were a godsend. I learnt next to nothing at school, the school classroom environment is one I seriously struggle to learn in. If they are anything like the quality of the GCSE guides then we're in luck if you do decide to go for it.
I envy your situation, top 20 in the UK? The words formed by your teachers should be nothing short of gold dust, use them for all they're worth and soak up everything you can brah, not everyone is privileged enough to have hat luxury!
The biggest factor of academic success in my mind to date is that of interest in the subject, and you certainly seem interested. Judging by your post of the forum, anyway. I wish you all the success, good luck.
For Biology AS, you need to learn the content thoroughly. Buy the Nelson Thornes textbook for AS Biology if your sixth form doesn't already provide them and learn the textbook really well. What also helps is the use of doing past paper questions when you've efficiently revised the content in the textbook.

Personally, I don't find CGP books at all useful generally, yeah they were great for primary school and years 7, 8 & 9 but for GCSE and A level, they're not too great in my opinion.
The best revision book I've used is the Collins Student Support Materials for AQA AS Biology Unit 1 and 2. If you are intending to carry Biology on to A2, then these guys have revision guides for units 4 and 5 as well.

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 7
In September 2014, I'm studying AS Level History, Biology and Philosophy (I'm also doing AS English Literature but I am already preparing for that in the right way, so I don't need advice on it) and I'd really like some advice on preparing for them.

I don't care for comments about how I don't need to bother, I want to, so what do you recommend? I don't really want to buy the CGP Head start books because I heard that they're OK but not really worth the money.

I'd appreciate all suggestions, thank you!

How are you preparing for Literature out of interest? Great choices btw! I'm taking the same subjects. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Gorwell
How are you preparing for Literature out of interest? Great choices btw! I'm taking the same subjects. :biggrin:

Wooooo, see we're obviously just epic students, you know. Aha!

I'm reading my set texts and reading books that follow the same sorts of themes and genres. You can also do yourself a huge favour by reading anything you're interested in. I personally find it useful to make notes in a small book about the ideas you have picked up and techniques of the writer and how he/she has illustrated the period and genre.

What do you want to do at university?
Reply 9
Original post by Reece Sure
I used the CGP guides myself for GCSE are they were a godsend. I learnt next to nothing at school, the school classroom environment is one I seriously struggle to learn in. If they are anything like the quality of the GCSE guides then we're in luck if you do decide to go for it.
I envy your situation, top 20 in the UK? The words formed by your teachers should be nothing short of gold dust, use them for all they're worth and soak up everything you can brah, not everyone is privileged enough to have hat luxury!
The biggest factor of academic success in my mind to date is that of interest in the subject, and you certainly seem interested. Judging by your post of the forum, anyway. I wish you all the success, good luck.

I'm just lucky. I have a flare for interviews, I got accepted during my interview. I like cried all the way home loooooooool.

I'm very interested! Biology will be my hardest in terms of academic rigour and I am completely besotted with it so I'm lucky. My hardest in terms of interest and the course for ME is probably English Literature.

Thank you for your good luck wish, you too<3
I'm just lucky. I have a flare for interviews, I got accepted during my interview. I like cried all the way home loooooooool.

I'm very interested! Biology will be my hardest in terms of academic rigour and I am completely besotted with it so I'm lucky. My hardest in terms of interest and the course for ME is probably English Literature.

Thank you for your good luck wish, you too<3

I studied AS Biology and Philosophy for about a month or two, before dropping out and working for just shy of two years. Biology I found quite interesting, we did all stuff about the cells etc and I remember it being somewhat difficult, although I wasn't in a nice place at the time mentally so it was more to do with my ability to comprehend and take interest in learning the specifics.
Philosophy was my favourite out of the four I originally took. If I could have dropped out of college whilst continuing coming in to study just philosophy, I would have done. I would have happily taken the exams for the AS and A level and worked full time, it was awesome and that was the general consensus in the class too.
Wooooo, see we're obviously just epic students, you know. Aha!

I'm reading my set texts and reading books that follow the same sorts of themes and genres. You can also do yourself a huge favour by reading anything you're interested in. I personally find it useful to make notes in a small book about the ideas you have picked up and techniques of the writer and how he/she has illustrated the period and genre.

What do you want to do at university?

You got that right. :tongue:
That sounds really good! Thank you, I've read a bit around the course we do but our set texts are quite restrictive. :frown:Have you got a favourite genre?

I'm hoping to to either Literature or History. What do you want to do? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Gorwell
You got that right. :tongue:
That sounds really good! Thank you, I've read a bit around the course we do but our set texts are quite restrictive. :frown:Have you got a favourite genre?

I'm hoping to to either Literature or History. What do you want to do? :smile:

What's your course and texts? I'll see if I can help you out a little with recommendations and such! I don't have a favourite genre but I have certain themes that normally captivate my interest when reading/studying a text.

I'm glad it helped :smile:!

I know right? We're fabulous humans.

I am applying for History at 3 or 4 of my universities (3 if I choose Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic at Cambridge) and then I may apply for Paramedical Science at one University but that's a maybe depending on what I drop at A2. I will probably just end up doing History/ASNC at all of them.

I'm applying for Harvard, Princeton, Amherst and UCLA in America too as well as McGill and University of Toronto in Canada to give me a little bit of variety and a better chance overall but I'd love to go to Cambridge! What about you?

Ooh, top 20? Where are you going?

Also, the CGP Head start book for biology is really, REALLY useful. I'm about 5 pages in and 90% of it is stuff I haven't covered at GCSE level. Their maths, chemistry and physics ones aren't so great, so I wouldn't bother with them.
Reply 14
Original post by thechemistress
Ooh, top 20? Where are you going?

Also, the CGP Head start book for biology is really, REALLY useful. I'm about 5 pages in and 90% of it is stuff I haven't covered at GCSE level. Their maths, chemistry and physics ones aren't so great, so I wouldn't bother with them.

I don't really want to say on here, which is why I generalised it to top 20 instead of the specific league aha. I hope you don't mind that?

Ooooh, okay, I will invest in the Biology one then I guess. If it isn't any good I can always just sell it on again. That's alright I cannot stand Physics or Maths and I am not doing Chemistry so that's fine for me aha!

Thank you xx
What's your course and texts? I'll see if I can help you out a little with recommendations and such! I don't have a favourite genre but I have certain themes that normally captivate my interest when reading/studying a text.

I'm glad it helped :smile:!

I know right? We're fabulous humans.

I am applying for History at 3 or 4 of my universities (3 if I choose Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic at Cambridge) and then I may apply for Paramedical Science at one University but that's a maybe depending on what I drop at A2. I will probably just end up doing History/ASNC at all of them.

I'm applying for Harvard, Princeton, Amherst and UCLA in America too as well as McGill and University of Toronto in Canada to give me a little bit of variety and a better chance overall but I'd love to go to Cambridge! What about you?

You're an absolute star. :biggrin: We follow this spec, our teacher briefly mentioned that we would study Pride & Prejudice with Othello so I assume it's something to do with romance. The literature department in my school aren't very helpful!

What exam board are you going to be doing?

That sounds really cool! You seem very intelligent so I would think you have a good (great) shot. :smile:
If I do end up opting for joint honours then I'll probably apply to Durham, as the course looks really good. I considered American universities but I doubt my parents would let me go! They were apprehensive about Durham when I mentioned it as it's over 4 hours away so I can't imagine America aha :laugh:
I don't really want to say on here, which is why I generalised it to top 20 instead of the specific league aha. I hope you don't mind that?

Ooooh, okay, I will invest in the Biology one then I guess. If it isn't any good I can always just sell it on again. That's alright I cannot stand Physics or Maths and I am not doing Chemistry so that's fine for me aha!

Thank you xx

No, that's fine xD Just curious as to whether you were going to my newbschool next year- I've already found one person who is on here, so anything is possible :wink:

Glad to see that you didn't say that you couldn't stand Chemistry xD There are way too many chemistry haters in the world as it is :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by thechemistress
No, that's fine xD Just curious as to whether you were going to my newbschool next year- I've already found one person who is on here, so anything is possible :wink:

Glad to see that you didn't say that you couldn't stand Chemistry xD There are way too many chemistry haters in the world as it is :tongue:

Where are you going? Magdalen College, Oxford?

Oh no, I like Chemistry but it is just that bit too much for me... too hard and doesn't play to my strengths at all!
Reply 18
Original post by Gorwell
You're an absolute star. :biggrin: We follow this spec, our teacher briefly mentioned that we would study Pride & Prejudice with Othello so I assume it's something to do with romance. The literature department in my school aren't very helpful!

What exam board are you going to be doing?

That sounds really cool! You seem very intelligent so I would think you have a good (great) shot. :smile:
If I do end up opting for joint honours then I'll probably apply to Durham, as the course looks really good. I considered American universities but I doubt my parents would let me go! They were apprehensive about Durham when I mentioned it as it's over 4 hours away so I can't imagine America aha :laugh:

Well, I have a reputation for being fab, what can I say? :wink:

Right, you study Edexcel whilst I study AQA B. I study Enduring Love by Ian McEwan, Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare, The Great Gatsby and then I believe we study The Importance of Being Earnest by my favourite author - Oscar Wilde. For Othello, you're probably better of just reading some other Shakespearian plays that have the same sort of storyline and mix with the same themes. What is Othello like/about? I have never read it so if you provide me with a few details I could suggest a book or two!

As for Pride and Prejudice, reading other titles by the Brontë's and Austen will be of great use as they all are quite central to that period and fit the topics that the text covers! I believe that above all else, you should read what you enjoy. I think Jane Eyre will be a good read after Pride and Prejudice and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I also believe that Great Expectations may be of use to you because it explores themes of social class which run through Pride and Prejudice and most texts of the 19th Century to be honest! There's also quite a decent focus on love in Great Expectations too.

I hope this helped!

Aw, bless :'). My parents want me to make my own decisions but to be honest they only think about the finances. Not the location of the university :')!
Where are you going? Magdalen College, Oxford?

Oh no, I like Chemistry but it is just that bit too much for me... too hard and doesn't play to my strengths at all!

Waittttt... How did you know that? D:

Ah, see, that's the same for me with History. I love it, but History essay writing doesn't come completely naturally to me. I do have to put a bit of effort in

Quick Reply

Latest