The Student Room Group

Material to read before FY1

Unfortunately I never kept any decent notes from med school. The vast majority is scraps of pieces of paper. With FY fast approaching, it'll be good to have some light reading on preparation for FY1. Does anyone recommend me any books to get that'll be useful when working too? I'm awaiting the Oxford Handbook: F1 programme book from MPS already. Cheers =)
Reply 1
Original post by nas7232
Unfortunately I never kept any decent notes from med school. The vast majority is scraps of pieces of paper. With FY fast approaching, it'll be good to have some light reading on preparation for FY1. Does anyone recommend me any books to get that'll be useful when working too? I'm awaiting the Oxford Handbook: F1 programme book from MPS already. Cheers =)

What job will you be starting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nas7232

FY1 handbook is awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
House of God
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
What job will you be starting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Old age psych + on call on the general medicine rota :smile:
I'll be starting on general surgery- any recommendations?
Buy pocket prescriber - it was a life saver.

There is a free guide online by the bmj - surviving as a new doctor - I can't remember the name but it was very helpful.

Good luck
Original post by Revenged
Buy pocket prescriber - it was a life saver.

There is a free guide online by the bmj - surviving as a new doctor - I can't remember the name but it was very helpful.

Good luck

Is it this one? http://doc2doc.bmj.com/assets/secure/youwillsurvive.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh, i've already picked up the F1 handbook and pocket prescriber.

Another top tip i've been told is to get one of those clipboards that is also a mini storage unit. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Officemate-Slim-Clipboard-Storage-Charcoal/dp/B002HHLJU4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405510437&sr=8-3&keywords=clipboard+storage

That way you can carry essentials like continuation sheets, imaging/blood request forms, pens, cannulas, ABGs and the aforementioned books around with you at all times. Plus you have something to lean on when writing obviously.

I'm bricking it a bit because i'm starting on Vascular Surgery, a specialty i know relatively little about, in a tertiary centre for the region. Plus it looks like i'm only getting one day of shadowing instead of the week everyone else seems to be getting :s-smilie:
Original post by nas7232
Old age psych + on call on the general medicine rota :smile:

The vast majority of what you do on old age psych will in fact be medicine (or endless paperwork). Your patients will be elderly and frail and often have multiple medical problems. In addition to this, psychiatric nurses have very little actual nursing training and may be unable/unwilling to do things like bloods, ECGs etc. Get familiar with the emergencies section of the OHCM!
Reply 12
Original post by Helenia
The vast majority of what you do on old age psych will in fact be medicine (or endless paperwork). Your patients will be elderly and frail and often have multiple medical problems. In addition to this, psychiatric nurses have very little actual nursing training and may be unable/unwilling to do things like bloods, ECGs etc. Get familiar with the emergencies section of the OHCM!

Thanks Helenia!
Reply 13
Everything you need is in the OHCM (and most of it in the handbook for the foundation programme). Don't try and remember it all, just be familiar with the emergencies section as Helenia said and carry it with you.

Trust me I'm a junior doctor by Max Pemberton should be mandatory. WIll help you keep it all in perspective and make you realise everyone else is going through the same thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending