The Student Room Group

would you marry for money?

Scroll to see replies

No I shan't marry a guy because he's rich and so I can have a better lifestyle, if I love someone all that doesn't matter to me and we can try and make it work. I mean I would like him to have a good career and be ambitious but he doesn't have to be rich. Besides I plan on working anyhoo and I hate the idea of having to be financially dependent on anyone
when I say I 'deserve' ....

im not putting my full personal story on here on why I think I 'deserve' stuff.. dont want to share that.
@MidnightDream

And I respect your opinion and your views.
Reply 23
Original post by Anonymous
just being honest..

Im being honest too, you're crazy.
Original post by a10
Im being honest too, you're crazy.

thats fine totally. :smile:
when I say I 'deserve' ....

im not putting my full personal story on here on why I think I 'deserve' stuff.. dont want to share that.

nobody 'deserves' anything in life, if you want something you go out and work/earn it, I don't deserve a rich husband and a huge house simply because my life has been problematic, everybody around you is dealing with sh*t, your not some special snowflake
whats wrong with wanting just a simple house... were not talking mansions here but being able to live in a financially stable enviroment.. dont kid me everyone wants to be able to one day live in a house and be comortable.. I wouldnt just HAPPILY marry some rich guy.. I want things to work out with my bf SOO much but JUST me cant support us and he cant support me atm.. just being honest..

the problem people have different ideas of what simple is:?

even in my house in college there was 3 different budgets going on with 4 people...

personally id live in a council house happy days with basic budget with the right person easy!
Original post by plrodham1
Personally i find the aim to just one day sit back and be a "housewife" quite unattractive in a woman.

I agree; barring the situation where one partner is genuinely needed at home, how someone can be a glorified parasite and retain their self-respect is baffling.
No, money doesn't bring happiness.
Depends. If the rich one is a tedious accountant and the poor guy is an actor still waiting for their break, I'll take the actor. They're my type. If it's a rich actor who has to travel lots for filming? Perfect. Consider the marriage certificate signed.
No. I don't understand women that are dazzled by rich guys, I really don't. I mean obviously it's important for a prospective partner to be financially stable but that can't be the only reason you'd marry him.
Original post by Pheoa101
nobody 'deserves' anything in life, if you want something you go out and work/earn it, I don't deserve a rich husband and a huge house simply because my life has been problematic, everybody around you is dealing with sh*t, your not some special snowflake

wow special snowflake lol I like that.. . your entitled to your opinion. im just listening to my gut./experience...lets face it.. gut/instinct is always right.. in just about everything.
so apparently being a housewife if you have no kids is considered like one has no self respect...

actually I like cooking cleaning hoovering.. housechores.. plumbing.. fixing stuff painting.. I would happily do all of that for my bf who I love as well as working sometimes. what can I say.. not EVERY young person is interested in being emmerged in themselves..
@morning light

no if you just married a guy solely for money regardless of being compatible in many other things it wouldnt work out.
My mum was at home at lot when I was a kid and I think it really made a difference in my life. Therefore, I would be willing to stay home a bit until the child started school or nursery but I wouldn't be able to do that forever, I would get bored and want to work.
Original post by Clip
You're just slightly ahead of your time.

A lot of girls on TSR will tell you how they won't be kept and want their careers etc. This is because they are generally 16-23 years old.

When it dawns on them that at around the age of 26-33 that many of them will basically be able to not work - they won't. Why would you work when you don't have to?

Or perhaps you're both living in 1930 or 1830.

If a woman wants to live her life and have choices she needs to work and earn money. Otherwise it's just a question of trailing on after a man and fitting in with what he does. Without financial independence you have few choices - man or woman.

Women work to do something worthwhile. Men work to do something worthwhile.

And, ah... the innocence, the fantasy of the man on a white charger coming to support you for the rest of your days while you do what?

What about if he's ill, a gambler, got another woman, wanders off into the sunset etc.?
Reply 36
yes i would like to marry someone rich or has the potential to be rich.
@morning light

no if you just married a guy solely for money regardless of being compatible in many other things it wouldnt work out.

Then what do you mean? I have nothing against marrying someone so you can depend on them financially, I intend to do the same anyway. But it shouldn't be the most important thing to you is what I'm saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by themorninglight
I have nothing against marrying someone so you can depend on them financially, I intend to do the same anyway.

Does this not make you feel ashamed / pathetic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending