The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This whole thread seems pretty trollish to me, but as a Cambridge alumna who did take six A-levels, I want to say that having six didn't help me to get in. I was told as much by my Director of Studies. What did help a bit was the fact that I took two of them in one year and was largely self-taught, as I couldn't attend the timetabled classes (not without a Tardis, anyway). My referee commented on this as demonstrating my capacity for independent study, which is something they do look for. But this was only a small component of my overall application. I didn't do six subjects because I thought it would increase my chances, I did them because I really liked all the subjects and couldn't decide which ones to drop. I think this is the only sensible reason for taking a larger number, as it won't give you much of an advantage.
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.

How about, do a normal number of A levels and have a life outside school and study?
Reply 122
From my experience I suggest saying taking 3 is enough cos I know no one can manage with more no of subjects at A-Leevel.
And rememba A-L is not like O-L.
At O-L you have 6 subjects cos you have 2 years to learn.
At A-Levels AS and A2 is broken to 6 months which is why 3 subjects is max required. It's hard to study many subjects with 6 month time period. It won't work. Choose the easy 3 you know you will pass with high grades and go for it. That does very much good to you.:yep:
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hiya, I went to my Sixth Form open day recently and contemplating on doing the following A-Level subjects, should I have any chance of achieving all A*s at A2.

Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geology
French - possibly

I'm aware GCSEs is ridiculously easy compared to AS let along A2 and they're almost irreverent to University applications, but I'm determined to get 6A*s at A2 and overall before making my way to Oxbridge to study Medicine or Engineering, or in order words whatever profession can make me the most.

I'm going to a private SF and so timetable would be personified for me to fit the above subjects.

The fact that you had to ask this question suggests it is not manageable for you. Sorry to be the one to spell out the blatant truth but one of my friends did 7 A levels and he didnt give a second thought about it. Ended up with 7 A*s studying at Cambridge now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Med_medine
The fact that you had to ask this question suggests it is not manageable for you. Sorry to be the one to spell out the blatant truth but one of my friends did 7 A levels and he didnt give a second thought about it. Ended up with 7 A*s studying at Cambridge now

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. It may sound impressive to say but it doesn't really have much value in itself since it's all speculation.

If you did manage to get 6/7 A*s then I'm sure you are of the standard (if they are relevant to what you want to study). However, the most distinguishing thing about it would probably just be that fact you had higher workload.

Also, there was a news story a couple years back about some guy who got 22 A levels but ended up getting a 2.2 in his first year at Cambridge and switching to another course and got another 2.2.. So maybe it's not really an indication of ability at all.
You need help.
I thought he was French or so I heard/read somewhere (prob he had French flag in his profile) so French A level should be a breeze if he was really French.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sena5
From my experience I suggest saying taking 3 is enough cos I know no one can manage with more no of subjects at A-Leevel.
And rememba A-L is not like O-L.
At O-L you have 6 subjects cos you have 2 years to learn.
At A-Levels AS and A2 is broken to 6 months which is why 3 subjects is max required. It's hard to study many subjects with 6 month time period. It won't work. Choose the easy 3 you know you will pass with high grades and go for it. That does very much good to you.:yep:

You're not really describing the system in the UK here. You don't do O-levels in the UK, you do GCSEs, and it is most certainly not normal to only do 6 of them. I'm fairly sure the teaching year for AS and A2 is a little longer than 6 months as well.
Original post by JAIYEKO

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir

Have you Aspergers? Or something? You have a rather big ego, not to say that's a bad thing. How come you are so capable of sifting through so much work? Eidetic memory? Rather interesting.
Also, intelligence comes in many forms, one of which is realising arrogance is not attractive.
This is arrogance- and definitely makes you not well liked. ''Exalted and Worshipped Member''
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JAIYEKO
French or a MFL is extremely well looked up by top top Universities even when you achieve an A* in it, so your first point is invalid.

Geology is advisable for (Petroleum) Engineering and so your second point is also invalid.

If you don't know me, you'll know that I capable of achieving 99% at all 7 A-Levels.

Au revoir

If you are not going to accept advice from people, then do not post on a forum. From what I can see, you are just looking for attention and your mind is already made up.
Reply 130
You're getting a head of yourself. I did 5 AS levels and hardly had any frees, there were days I had 6th periods so was in school until after 5pm in lessons and thus had to manage all the extra work at home. You will literally make yourself ill doing that many.
Reply 131
Original post by Ronove
You're not really describing the system in the UK here. You don't do O-levels in the UK, you do GCSEs, and it is most certainly not normal to only do 6 of them. I'm fairly sure the teaching year for AS and A2 is a little longer than 6 months as well.

I meant O/L in short for IGCSE. I did only sit for the UK IGCSE system and do not not anything other than the UK education system!:yep: Max 6 subjects for IGCSE is necessary. Doing above is certainly the individual's own wish.
Original post by Sena5
I meant O/L in short for IGCSE. I did only sit for the UK IGCSE system and do not not anything other than the UK education system!:yep: Max 6 subjects for IGCSE is necessary. Doing above is certainly the individual's own wish.

And how many people do you think do IGCSEs in the UK as opposed to GCSEs? I would guess that the proportion is tiny.
Original post by Sena5

IGCSEs are not the same as GCSEs. Here, you really need minimum 8 GCSEs, more normal is 10, some do 12, 13+.
Reply 134
Original post by C0balt
I thought he was French or so I heard/read somewhere (prob he had French flag in his profile) so French A level should be a breeze if he was really French.

Posted from TSR Mobile

C'est la raison pour laquelle je voudrais le faire.........
Original post by JAIYEKO

It's pointless if you're french.
I would love to do French A-Level, but that would bump me up to 6 AS. So because I'm a sensible person, I decided that I would just do french outside of school. I suggest you do the same. Doing 7 AS is pointless.
Original post by JAIYEKO

C'est ce que j'ai pensé mais les universités ne vont pas le counter comme un A level si français est ta première langue.

Hell, I suck at French despite my 3 years in France lol
Well, in GCSE, or in CIE IGCSE at least, first language French exists. However in A levels there is only 2nd language French so first language speakers are supposed to get A* and A at least. So the unis won't count them because it's not "fair". I would say you shouldn't waste time on French A levels since unis and employers will most likely know that you're French. Sure, it will be a free easy A level but you still need to spend time on coursework or oral preparations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Closing this thread now as it's obvious the OP doesn't want to take anyone's advice. :smile:

Latest