The Student Room Group

Why is alcohol called "drink" and the consumion of it called "drinking"

I don't understand this, water, juice, coke cola and other drinks are drinks too...
me neither...

and how did "bang", "play", "toy", "ball", "hard" all become terms associated with sex?
Doubt anyone fully knows. English is a weird language, as it is formed from many others, so it's irregular and mostly doesn't make sense :mmm:
Original post by bubble999
Doubt anyone fully knows. English is a weird language, as it is formed from many others, so it's irregular and mostly doesn't make sense :mmm:

You're a moderator
Original post by Pussy Galore
You're a moderator

Correct :h:
Original post by MylittlePlusle
I don't understand this, water, juice, coke cola and other drinks are drinks too...

.. Other than the fact you drink it?

i think it's because alcohol isn't always fully acceptable so it's a slight code for it
but coke etc are also referred to as drinks
Reply 8
It's just a euphemism.
Oh the English Language :mmm:
In the past, most drinks were alcoholic. People drank beer for breakfast because it was safer than water.

We've since invented "soft drinks" that don't have the alcohol in them, these are mainly for children to drink. We also have tea and coffee for adults.

Hence the difference between "I'm thirsty" meaning you need a soft drink and "I need a drink", which specifically means a proper drink.
Original post by cole-slaw
In the past, most drinks were alcoholic. People drank beer for breakfast because it was safer than water.

We've since invented "soft drinks" that don't have the alcohol in them, these are mainly for children to drink. We also have tea and coffee for adults.

Hence the difference between "I'm thirsty" meaning you need a soft drink and "I need a drink", which specifically means a proper drink.

Anything is a "proper" drink...
Reply 12
I think the alcohol is called the drink nd
the other drinks are called soft drinks it.is specify that the alcohol is a special type of drink which we used to call a "drink" nd the other drinks are called "soft drinks"
Anything is a "proper" drink...

Colloquially, "proper drink" means alcoholic drink.

As in, if someone said "I need a drink, no not a coke, a proper drink".

Quick Reply

Latest