The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neal95
Anyone think that the entry requirements for 2014 will go down? Liverpool have reduced there's to BBB

BBB for what? My offer from Liverpool was ABB for Law...
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by LonelyPlanet
BBB for what? My offer from Liverpool was ABB for Law...

Yeah I know same here but check out the website for 2014 entry (our intake) it has been reduced to BBB....
Original post by neal95
Yeah I know same here but check out the website for 2014 entry (our intake) it has been reduced to BBB....

Still the same? Just checked on their website, LLB Law still ABB?
Original post by LonelyPlanet
Still the same? Just checked on their website, LLB Law still ABB?

Check this link out mate https://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/results2014/
Need AAB for economics at Manchester, got a feeling I got ABB. Thoughts on whether they'll let me in?

Also staying in oak house - results day can't come sooner

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neal95
Anyone think that the entry requirements for 2014 will go down? Liverpool have reduced there's to BBB

Which subject? Also, I presume you mean entry requirements for 2015 entry, which have already been published online. For instance, LLB Law requires AAA, which is the same as last year http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2015/01052/law-3-years-llb/entry-requirements/

Original post by yuvalpesh
Need AAB for economics at Manchester, got a feeling I got ABB. Thoughts on whether they'll let me in?

Also staying in oak house - results day can't come sooner

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't know. It depends on a number of things, which change year-by-year and course-by-course
- if they have already filled all the places with people who did meet their offer, or if they still have a few spaces left
- if they think they can fill up their remaining spaces with better quality candidates by going through clearing or by accepting people who just missed their offer
- whether the grades that you actually got were ABB / equivalent or above (universities can be fined for over-recruiting people with BBB or below; this is not the case for people with ABB+)
- how narrowly you missed your offer
- if there was anyone else who missed their offer by a narrower margin
- whether you are an international student (if you are, then you are more attractive because you pay higher fees, and the government can't fine the university for over-recruiting internationals)
Can't spot any similar thread here, so I'll make one - I'm getting nervous/excited having finally decided to go to Manchester this year (to study chemistry MChem).

So:
What course do you hold an offer for?
Where did you apply for accomodation/where have you been placed?
What type of room are you hoping for/did you get?
How are you preparing/going to prepare for the move to Manchester (and where are you coming from?
Do you know anyone else who's going to Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, Manchester is also my firm but im not brave enough to attempt chemistry, I'm hoping to study biomedical science. Also I've applied to Richmond Park accomodation. I haven't prepped yet at all incase I dont make my offer so it's going to be a mad rush after results day! I'm coming from South Wales so not that far. I know one other person from my school who has firmed Manchester and thats it!
I'm curious to see what everyone else is doing now:grin:
I've applied for the Science with an Integrated Foundation year program, hoping to proceed to a Physics degree. I'm an International student from Greece and I've also applied for the Oak House residence, mostly for it's price. I've only seen Manchester and the surrounding area through google street view and I'm excited!
As for the requirements, I have completed them both having the required scores to enter the foundation program. See you in September.
Original post by Sophiejaneprice
Hi, Manchester is also my firm but im not brave enough to attempt chemistry, I'm hoping to study biomedical science. Also I've applied to Richmond Park accomodation. I haven't prepped yet at all incase I dont make my offer so it's going to be a mad rush after results day! I'm coming from South Wales so not that far. I know one other person from my school who has firmed Manchester and thats it!

I'm sure you'll make your offer. Even if you don't, the Life Sciences faculty are... forgiving.
That said. I'm not at all prepared either. I have no idea where to start. I think I'm too much of a last-minute guy to start this early.
I was surprised to find there are three others from my school going to Manchester. One's on my course!
Original post by Dr.Quantum
I've applied for the Science with an Integrated Foundation year program, hoping to proceed to a Physics degree. I'm an International student from Greece and I've also applied for the Oak House residence, mostly for it's price. I've only seen Manchester and the surrounding area through google street view and I'm excited!
As for the requirements, I have completed them both having the required scores to enter the foundation program. See you in September.

Great, so you've just gotta wait... sounds torturous - I just want uni to start. I can't actually remember where I applied for accomodation, but I know two of the three were on the Fallowfield campus, and the other was on Victoria Park.

Have you started getting ready to come over to England?
When do we hear back on if we got out first choice accommodation
Original post by david.sutton
When do we hear back on if we got out first choice accommodation

I heard that they were planning to start giving out accommodation offers on the 11th of July, so it shouldn't be long now.

EDIT: So I did a search myself, and they say if you have a conditional offer, your place in residence will be allocated once your offer becomes unconditional.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think the difficult part will be to get mentally prepared for the whole change, but I'll make it! I can't wait!
As for the residences, they've informed me that as you said an offer has to turn to unconditional to place you somewhere.
Original post by Sophiejaneprice

BIOMED :woo:

Spoiler

Hi all!
I'm worried over results day as I have a feeling that I possible ruined my chances of going to UoM.

I have a conditional offer from Manchester Uni based on getting a grade B at A-Level Accounting and 2 Distinctions at BTEC Business Level 3.

I had a terrible exam for Accounting and I will probably get a C or a D instead of a B. On the other hand I have 2 distinction stars instead of 2 distinctions they requested.

Should I prepare for the worst? My Insurance is MMU and this is my firm choice.

I'm also going on holiday 2 days from now and returning 3pm on 14th August (results day). I'm getting very worried about not meeting the grades and then not being able to call the unis on time.
Did any of you get PM-ed by some guy who set up a couple of Manchester freshers Facebook groups (one for Uni of Manch, and one for the whole city)? If so, did you join them. I was put off, because all of the groups I could find were very small and just looked a bit 'off'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I were in that group for a week or so and it turned out that it's a scam, beware.
Hey, I hold an unconditional offer for Economics and I have applied to the Weston, Whitworth and Wright Robinson halls. Honestly hoping to get the en suite as a starter but really am fine with any for now. Well I've mostly checked up on what I should bring there myself and what I should be buying there instead of bringing over with me. Spent some time reading the guide book on opening bank account, accommodation fee payment methods and the orientation programmes. Unfortunately I don't know any of my friends who are going to Manchester University though. I'll be coming from Hong Kong, but I actually had my primary, secondary and college education in Singapore. It's gonna be a really long ride, but it will be an eye opener for me I feel, to see the world out there so yeah, quite excited too (:

Have any of you completed the application for the tier 4 student visa yet? (If you need one) Since it required my residential address in UK I am actually waiting for the office to inform me about the hall of accommodation they will place me in.
Original post by Dr.Quantum
I were in that group for a week or so and it turned out that it's a scam, beware.

Score one for my intuition!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending