The Student Room Group

Not Shaving armpits?

I understand some people do this "to empower them", but really it's just vulgar.
It's vulgar if men and especially women have a huge bush there as well.

You may wash them when showering, but having more hair there makes it a much greater pit for bacteria.
The only thing you are "empowering" is uncleanliness and bacteria.

Filthy people.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You tell em' babe!
I really don't understand how this reduces patriarchy. same with 'free-bleeding'.
agreed
I don't think it's vulgar at all to be honest. I constantly have ingrown hairs/cuts/sore patches under my arms from hair removal, if anything that is more 'unhygenic'
You are entitled to find armpit hair unattractive, but the entire premise of these concepts is that women should not feel obligated to alter their bodies in order to avoid being publicly insulted or harassed - and that there shouldn't be double standards for men and women.

Also, there is no scientific evidence for your claim that underarm hair encourages bacterial growth.
Original post by tnetennba
You are entitled to find armpit hair unattractive, but the entire premise of these concepts is that women should not feel obligated to alter their bodies in order to avoid being publicly insulted or harassed - and that there shouldn't be double standards for men and women.

Also, there is no scientific evidence for your claim that underarm hair encourages bacterial growth.

Probably about 95% of guys find armpit hair unattractive, it is the women themselves who are making the conscious decision to shave it off. The reason they do so is to make themselves seem more attractive, don't blame others for something so trivial.
Who cares. It isn't your body.

Is body hair the new TSR obsession now? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

:yep: i tink so..
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

he is stating that he does not find it attractive. The reason women shave their armpits is because they know men find it attractive, and possible a few other reasons to do with health.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Probably about 95% of guys find armpit hair unattractive, it is the women themselves who are making the conscious decision to shave it off. The reason they do so is to make themselves seem more attractive, don't blame others for something so trivial.

Nope, that's way too naive. Applying makeup is something women do to appear more attractive. Bald armpits are no way near a symbol of attractiveness for women - they are the norm. Ever since manufacturers decided to push razors onto women to increase profit, women have been shamed by way of advertisements (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCHLXQffsg) into feeling "dirty" "vulgar" and "unhygienic" by leaving their body hair in its natural state.

This is not a case of attractiveness, it's a case of being made to feel like a freak for choosing not to buy into it.
he is stating that he does not find it attractive. The reason women shave their armpits is because they know men find it attractive, and possible a few other reasons to do with health.

and calling them vulgar and unhygienic, like they are flea ridden or something. There's nothing wrong with not finding it attractive (I don't myself really), but that doesn't mean you have a right to shame them for it. That makes you an arse. Also claiming you are unhealthy for having armpit hair makes you wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
So? It's their prerogative not to shave.
Original post by redferry
I don't think it's vulgar at all to be honest. I constantly have ingrown hairs/cuts/sore patches under my arms from hair removal, if anything that is more 'unhygenic'

This is a good point. It has been well-documented that hair removal (in pubic regions especially) frequently leads to open sores and wounds & therefore increases the frequency of bacterial infections. Claiming that women shave for "health reasons" is absolute BS.
Nope, that's way too naive. Applying makeup is something women do to appear more attractive. Bald armpits are no way near a symbol of attractiveness for women - they are the norm. Ever since manufacturers decided to push razors onto women to increase profit, women have been shamed by way of advertisements (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCHLXQffsg) into feeling "dirty" "vulgar" and "unhygienic" by leaving their body hair in its natural state.

This is not a case of attractiveness, it's a case of being made to feel like a freak for choosing not to buy into it.

It is a case of attractiveness.

Men find women without body hair more attractive than if they had body hair.
Women want to find make partners.
Women know men find it attractive.
Therefore, women shave it off.

And it is unhygienic.

And it is unhygienic.

If it's unhygienic, why aren't we all disgusted by the majority of men - who don't shave their armpits?

And it is unhygienic.

It's actually more hygenic to leave it to be honest.

You realise that once hair removal causes an abscess...
This is a good point. It has been well-documented that hair removal (in pubic regions especially) frequently leads to open sores and wounds & therefore increases the frequency of bacterial infections. Claiming that women shave for "health reasons" is absolute BS.

if you do not like the "frequent" open sores and wounds, then get botox, or laiser-hair removal, or wax. There are many options.
Original post by redferry
It's actually more hygenic to leave it to be honest.

You realise that once hair removal causes an abscess...

I do believe abscess is caused by the inflammation of hair glands, and other related causes. Not by hair removal
I don't think it's vulgar, it's natural and if people want to keep it they are entitled to because it's their body.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending