The Student Room Group

Not Shaving armpits?

Scroll to see replies

How is it vulgar when it doesn't even affect you?

I shave my armpits because I sweat a lot and I get paranoid about BO etc.
Original post by ArtGoblin
Who's blaming men? We just want women to have the freedom to do what with their bodies. It's fine if women what to shave but most women don't feel they have that choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they do have the choice, just as many women choose not to shave. And they do have the freedom to do what they want with their bodies.
A woman who doesn't maintain hygiene by shaving her armpits and the bush down-you-know-where is not a woman in my books.
Original post by maryamzahid
I really don't understand how this reduces patriarchy. same with 'free-bleeding'.

I can understand not shaving hair but free-bleeding is just impractical and unhygienic.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You just proved yourself wrong :rolleyes:

In what way did I prove myself wrong? Many people find it attractive, many people don't find it attractive. If the individual finds it unattractive, then it will most likely be shaved off. Girls can choose to either shave it off, or to keep it there.
Original post by EatAndRevise
In what way did I prove myself wrong? Many people find it attractive, many people don't find it attractive. If the individual finds it unattractive, then it will most likely be shaved off. Girls can choose to either shave it off, or to keep it there.

Not wanting to be deemed unattractive is an underlying reason. YOu may not want to shave your pits but feel you have to. Even if you aren't actively trying to attract the opposite sex no one like feeling unattractive, especially young people.
Not wanting to be deemed unattractive is an underlying reason. YOu may not want to shave your pits but feel you have to. Even if you aren't actively trying to attract the opposite sex no one like feeling unattractive, especially young people.

People need to stop blaming their insecurities on other people. If you're insecure, it's your problem. Nobody is forcing anybody to shave. If they feel unattractive by not doing so, that is nobody else's fault.
Original post by NathanW18
People need to stop blaming their insecurities on other people. If you're insecure, it's your problem. Nobody is forcing anybody to shave. If they feel unattractive by not doing so, that is nobody else's fault.

I'm just stating that the pressure is their, and it is a pressure. Some women will like feeling feminine and enjoy prettying themselves up, some will say "**** it I don't care walking around with pit hair showing". Most are probably somewhere in the middle. I wasn't saying it is harmful just that it is there.
Original post by Add!ction
I can understand not shaving hair but free-bleeding is just impractical and unhygienic.

What is free-bleeding?
Original post by NathanW18

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Original post by ArtGoblin
Who's blaming men? We just want women to have the freedom to do what with their bodies. It's fine if women what to shave but most women don't feel they have that choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course they have the choice, but they should know they'll be seen as less attractive so they don't make the choice, then blame other people for that.
What is free-bleeding?

Not wearing tampons or pads.
What is free-bleeding?

When you have a period and don't use any tampons/pads. You just bleed free.

Ew, is this a trend? Do many girls actually do this?

That is a) stupid, clothes will be ruined, and b) Revolting.
Ew, is this a trend? Do many girls actually do this?

I wouldn't call it a trend and I think it's extreme women who do it. I can't see many women choosing this as a viable lifestyle option.

We need to stop seeing it as male domination. Sanitary-ware gives women a huge amount of freedom, whether it was invented by a man is irrelevant. It doesn't always take a female to emancipate another female.
I'm just stating that the pressure is their, and it is a pressure. Some women will like feeling feminine and enjoy prettying themselves up, some will say "**** it I don't care walking around with pit hair showing". Most are probably somewhere in the middle. I wasn't saying it is harmful just that it is there.

Yeah, but it's irrelevant. Social norms suggest people of both sexes should do many things, look a certain way, etc. You have free choice not to follow them. That doesn't mean that you should complain and blame society, because by not doing so, it plays on your insecurities. They're a personal problem and up to that person to fix them.

I have a huge problem with people blaming society for their lack of confidence. Blaming others, because they don't find your personal choice attractive is extremely annoying to hear/read.
(edited 9 years ago)
That is a) stupid, clothes will be ruined, and b) Revolting.

I think it's more about those women saying 'Look! I'm having my period, don't shun away from it, it's a fact of life' or men being squeamish about menstruation.
Free-bleeding is a hoax apparently..
http://birdeemag.com/free-bleeding-thing/
Reply 59
I am one of the lucky people who has no armpit hair. I thought it was odd at first, but now I realise how lucky I am when comparingm to my friends. I still wear deodorant though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending