The Student Room Group

Can I 'bulk up' by doing indoor rock climbing?

My current activity level is restricted to using my car pedals and walking to the office. I was thinking if I started rock climbing, say once a week, would I start to notice physical changes?

My arms are currently stick thin and it's a bit embarrassing in the summer with short sleeve tops. If I went rock climbing every Saturday for example do you think I will still be stick thin this time next year?
Reply 1
Yes, to see any substantial change you need to go to the gym at least 3 times a week. Rock climbing very regularly (5 times a week) may increase arm size slightly but no where near as quickly as going gym.
Reply 2
Depends what you mean by bulk. Gain more muscle, yes, get big no, but once a week isn't much if you want to see progress anytime soon and it won't do much for your legs. I know a few decent climbers and they tend to supplement a few days climbing with some other training, particularly pull ups, grip work and pushes (not useful for climbing but good for shoulder health when they pull so much). Without that extra you re only really going to train hands, back, forearms and biceps. Your pecs will be ****ty and your arms might never look much bigger without triceps. Because they want to stay light (less weight to drag up) most decent climbers I know look skinny in clothes but are defined with fairly small muscles.
It's a good all-body work-out. Will do more in terms of muscle definition than sheer size though.
It's not something that can be trained in the same way using a barbell can. Besides, I've never known a really hench rock climber.

You should do it anyway though because it's fun.
Reply 5
I don't think rock climbing gives enough resistance to provide much volumetric improvement for your muscles. As others have said, the gym will be a better bet for improving size.
Reply 6
No, gaining mass would be detrimental to rock climbing. Top rock climbers have extremely low body fat and are very strong, but have next to no mass.
Much of climbing efficiently is about using your legs...
you use your legs more tehn arms, so if you wnat to bulk up your legs give it ago (its great fun)

Original post by Runninground
My current activity level is restricted to using my car pedals and walking to the office. I was thinking if I started rock climbing, say once a week, would I start to notice physical changes?

My arms are currently stick thin and it's a bit embarrassing in the summer with short sleeve tops. If I went rock climbing every Saturday for example do you think I will still be stick thin this time next year?
Ok maybe bulk up is the wrong word. I mean go from being a stick to having normal sized arms aha.

Original post by whatsastudent
you use your legs more tehn arms, so if you wnat to bulk up your legs give it ago (its great fun)

Do you do rock climbing regularly?
Reply 10
The only way to bulk up is to workout consistently, eat big and healthy and rest. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS! so yeh you will see no major difference
Reply 11
Rock climbing plus gym would be better

Quick Reply

Latest