The Student Room Group

Not Shaving armpits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Add!ction
I can understand not shaving hair but free-bleeding is just impractical and unhygienic.

this one feminist, wouldn't wear a pad and got an infection and when her doctor told her she could actually die from it, she said he was oppressing her because he was a man. she died.
I think it's more about those women saying 'Look! I'm having my period, don't shun away from it, it's a fact of life' or men being squeamish about menstruation.

Free-bleeding is a non-issue. I have no idea why it was brought up in this thread. It was a hoax designed by 4chan to give feminism a bad reputation.
Original post by maryamzahid
this one feminist, wouldn't wear a pad and got an infection and when her doctor told her she could actually die from it, she said he was oppressing her because he was a man. she died.

How did she get an infection from not wearing a pad? Did she wear a tampon and get toxic shock syndrome? That is the typical blind feminism that I'm talking about, like when people hire women because they fear looking sexist, hire a woman because she will be good at the job!
Original post by tnetennba
Free-bleeding is a non-issue. I have no idea why it was brought up in this thread. It was a hoax designed by 4chan to give feminism a bad reputation.

If you can imagine something, then someone out there is doing it. I remember seeing an article where a photographer took pics of women free-bleeding. I have no idea what the point of it was.
How did she get an infection from not wearing a pad? Did she wear a tampon and get toxic shock syndrome? That is the typical blind feminism that I'm talking about, like when people hire women because they fear looking sexist, hire a woman because she will be good at the job!

I think she got the infection because she didn't wear a pad or tampon every time her period came and didn't really clean up much after it happened (yeh I know disgusting). tbh, the doctor was trying to tell her to wear something and have some medication to get better but she refused because he was a man.
I spend way too much time reading stuff on the internet :tongue:
Original post by NathanW18
Yeah, but it's irrelevant. Social norms suggest people of both sexes should do many things, look a certain way, etc. You have free choice not to follow them. That doesn't mean that you should complain and blame society, because by not doing so, it plays on your insecurities. They're a personal problem and up to that person to fix them.

I have a huge problem with people blaming society for their lack of confidence.

These social norms often change, and have for the better the past few centuries. So I don't think people should just shut up and get on with it if they don't want to. There is nothing wrong with questioning what we are collectively doing to ourselves.

It was once a social norm to treat women who got pregnant before marriage as sinful sluts. It isn't a personal problem when others treat you negatively for making a personal choice. If that negative treatment is unjustified then there is a problem with society. When the media and fashion industries portrays the ideal weight as being unhealthy thin, causing anorexia in people then you have a problem with society.

I'm not saying that shaving is anything like the above examples but I'm just using them to show how the idea that social norms should just be followed and never analyses is stupid.

Also in this thread there are people saying women who don't shave their pits are unhygienic and vulgar. If a women unwantingly shaves to avoid these kind of comments then that isn't her personal problem, that is a problem with how others treat her. A young teenage girl could read these comments and come away form it thinking she needs to be completely hairless less she be "unhealthy", which is beyond stupid.

Only on TSR would I be making lengthy posts on ****ing armpit hair :s-smilie:
Reply 66
Women shouldn't have to shave if they don't want to, after all it's their body. Personally, I tend to find women with hairy armpits unattractive (though I can tolerate a small amount) but thats just my own preference so.... Meh, it's not my decision.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
These social norms often change, and have for the better the past few centuries. So I don't think people should just shut up and get on with it if they don't want to. There is nothing wrong with questioning what we are collectively doing to ourselves.

It was once a social norm to treat women who got pregnant before marriage as sinful sluts. It isn't a personal problem when others treat you negatively for making a personal choice. If that negative treatment is unjustified then there is a problem with society. When the media and fashion industries portrays the ideal weight as being unhealthy thin, causing anorexia in people then you have a problem with society.

I'm not saying that shaving is anything like the above examples but I'm just using them to show how the idea that social norms should just be followed and never analyses is stupid.

Also in this thread there are people saying women who don't shave their pits are unhygienic and vulgar. If a women unwantingly shaves to avoid these kind of comments then that isn't her personal problem, that is a problem with how others treat her. A young teenage girl could read these comments and come away form it thinking she needs to be completely hairless less she be "unhealthy", which is beyond stupid.

Only on TSR would I be making lengthy posts on ****ing armpit hair :s-smilie:

phahahaha :') I like you.
I think she got the infection because she didn't wear a pad or tampon every time her period came and didn't really clean up much after it happened (yeh I know disgusting). tbh, the doctor was trying to tell her to wear something and have some medication to get better but she refused because he was a man.
I spend way too much time reading stuff on the internet :tongue:

I dunno, that sounds a bit weird. The vagina is self cleaning so I can't really see her getting a deadly infection that way, she would just be very smelly.
Original post by Comus
Women shouldn't have to shave if they don't want to, after all it's their body. Personally, I tend to find women with hairy armpits unattractive (though I can tolerate a small amount) but thats just my own preference so.... Meh, it's not my decision.

They don't have to shave if they don't want to....
Reply 70
Original post by EatAndRevise
They don't have to shave if they don't want to....

My apologies, that was badly phrased. Let me amend that first sentence to "Women shouldn't feel like they have to shave their armpits if they don't want to."
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 71
I'm currently at Ronaldo's level of shavedness, that's to say the only hair I've got is on my head.
Original post by SophieSmall
phahahaha :') I like you.

I like me as well :smile:

sometimes.
I dunno, that sounds a bit weird. The vagina is self cleaning so I can't really see her getting a deadly infection that way, she would just be very smelly.

probably is weird, but people do a lot of crazy **** these days so who knows.
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally i shave my hair because PERSONALLY i dont think it looks nice on me. nothing to do with men because i want a bf that likes me for being me. I think this is pointless because i am often "told off" by femenist friends for wearing make up because it doesnt make me 'femenist' enough. surelly i am a empowerd , femenist women i can do what i want .. including wearing make up if i want too.
If you can imagine something, then someone out there is doing it. I remember seeing an article where a photographer took pics of women free-bleeding. I have no idea what the point of it was.

Oh my God it's not real. How many times?!
Original post by Viva Emptiness

still a pretty disgusting thing to do though.
Original post by Viva Emptiness

No, but we're talking about the notion of it. Like burning bra's, I don't see them as a form of female suppression, just what they are. A garment to help lift and separate.
Original post by Comus
My apologies, that was badly phrased. Let me amend that first sentence to "Women shouldn't feel like they have to shave their armpits if they don't want to."

Well that is the women's decision, again. If she feels as if she has to shave when she does not want to, it is her own conscious decison and she is making that choice.
still a pretty disgusting thing to do though.

Is this a joke? I can't tell.

Is this real life?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending