The Student Room Group

Reconsideration of options

Just a quick question to anyone, do you think it is too late for me to change one of my 4 choices? ( I've only just recently started taking a liking to medicine in which case I would need biology to pursue)
Reply 1
Original post by AdamFlint321
Just a quick question to anyone, do you think it is too late for me to change one of my 4 choices? ( I've only just recently started taking a liking to medicine in which case I would need biology to pursue)

Have you just finished your GCSE's and starting sixth form this september? If so, you need to contact the sixth immediately and see if they can let you change your a level choices! Also what are your a level choices?

Even though biology is desireable for medicine some universities like leeds and bristol (you would need to be studying physics and chemistry) dont require it and I have friends that recieved offers from both these medical schools with only biology up to GCSE level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
You should be able to. A lot of students change their options after the GCSE results are released.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Provided there are spaces in the course, you can normally switch until roughly a term into the school year.
Reply 4
Original post by 06shawm
Have you just finished your GCSE's and starting sixth form this september? If so, you need to contact the sixth immediately and see if they can let you change your a level choices! Also what are your a level choices?

Even though biology is desireable for medicine some universities like leeds and bristol (you would need to be studying physics and chemistry) dont require it and I have friends that revieved offers from both those medical schools with only biology up to GCSE level.

I have finished my GCSE's and are waiting for the results which is on the 21st of August. My A-Level choices are physics, chemistry, geography and maths.

PS Thank you for the reply
Reply 5
I have finished my GCSE's and are waiting for the results which is on the 21st of August. My A-Level choices are physics, chemistry, geography and maths.

PS Thank you for the reply

No problem. If I was in your position I would probably swap geography or physics for biology. Not having biology at AS/A2 level will greatly limit the number of medical schools you can apply too. I will be totally honest with you, I would of struggled a lot at medical school without a level biology. A lot of the basic fundamentals that you learn during a level will crop up during med school hence you need to have knowledge of the basics to then be able to cope with the increased depth/breadth at uni. Also good luck with your GCSE results!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 06shawm
No problem. If I was in your position I would probably swap geography or physics for biology. Not having biology at AS/A2 level will greatly limit the number of medical schools you can apply too. I will be totally honest with you, I would of struggled a lot at medical school without a level biology. A lot of the basic fundamentals that you learn during a level will crop up during med school hence you need to have knowledge of the basics to then be able to cope with the increased depth/breadth at uni. Also good luck with your GCSE results!

Thanks!! :biggrin: I'm most likely going to be dropping physics, wish you all the best in life!
Reply 7
Thanks!! :biggrin: I'm most likely going to be dropping physics, wish you all the best in life!

Not a problem! You have a great range of a levels there which are widely respected! If you want any advice on medicine feel free to PM anytime since I have been through it all. All the best to you also in the future! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Thanks to all whom have offered help :smile: I recently messaged my college and I they said "Although our deadline for course changes was 4th July, I will attach a note to your file with your request so that you can discuss it with your Pastoral Manager/Course Advisor at enrolment."

So I can only wait in anticipation...so scared.

Quick Reply

Latest