The Student Room Group

Students (and everyone else), What is your opinion on "The Secret Life of Students"?

Scroll to see replies

I think the show reminds me of why I probably won't like university. Seems to be loads of jerks, slags and boyfriend stealers.
Original post by misscherie
In the Q&A in the press release from Leicester Uni, Josie and Aiden showed some regret towards messing around in first year - Josie felt like she could have done better and didn't like how much was shown about her sex life and Aiden chose to take a year out after and that he was playing up for cameras and wanted to be all cocky then realised how stupid he looked

Haha knew it wasn't gonna last....

Posted from TSR Mobile

link?
A lot of people are saying this show is a bad advert of the University of Leicester but to be honest, if the name of the uni had not been mentioned, it could've been any university. These stereotypes are not exclusive to Leicester, it just so happens it is where the documentary was filmed.
Original post by Cyan Fox
A lot of people are saying this show is a bad advert of the University of Leicester but to be honest, if the name of the uni had not been mentioned, it could've been any university. These stereotypes are not exclusive to Leicester, it just so happens it is where the documentary was filmed.

I agree, it is only snobs, or those who have not been to university yet themselves who will be so impressionable though.
Reply 104
I suspect if you had condensed my first uni term into a single hour episode it would have looked like pretty much non stop partying and mucking about. In the same way that my 2 years of 6th form condensed would look like an episode of Skins.

It's a tv show, they're only going to put on the best 1% and ignore the other 99% boring and 'normal' stuff. I can't believe any of those students actually agreed to go on this..

Makes good entertainment though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reue
I suspect if you had condensed my first uni term into a single hour episode it would have looked like pretty much non stop partying and mucking about. In the same way that my 2 years of 6th form condensed would look like an episode of Skins.

It's a tv show, they're only going to put on the best 1% and ignore the other 99% boring and 'normal' stuff. I can't believe any of those students actually agreed to go on this..

Makes good entertainment though.

Ikr, the lack of privacy is quite frankly scary. I can't think it's a great advert for their future employers either. I fail to see why anybody would think going on a show like this a good idea, other than money but I doubt they recieved much, if anything.
Original post by Melon girl
I think the show reminds me of why I probably won't like university. Seems to be loads of jerks, slags and boyfriend stealers.

most people wont be like that, best thing to do is to avoid them and don't make close friendships with people who party a lot over revising. You're there for a degree not to get an STI and then laugh about it.
Original post by maryamzahid
most people wont be like that, best thing to do is to avoid them and don't make close friendships with people who party a lot over revising. You're there for a degree not to get an STI and then laugh about it.

The show has made me worried that I won't be included or I will be looked down upon if I don't conform to such social doings, which is a worry.

I wouldn't really call the girl a boyfriend stealer but I will call the guy a cheat

Posted from TSR Mobile
The show has made me worried that I won't be included or I will be looked down upon if I don't conform to such social doings, which is a worry.

everyone will be nervous though, so drinking alcohol or not doesn't matter. You will find your feet anyway :smile:
Original post by Trustno1
I wouldn't really call the girl a boyfriend stealer but I will call the guy a cheat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh he broke up with his girl to just get more sex from this new girl. Regardless, he is pathetic and she is blinded by love.
Original post by maryamzahid
everyone will be nervous though, so drinking alcohol or not doesn't matter. You will find your feet anyway :smile:

Thanks hun.
Goddammit, why did it have to be aired when I'm in a different country? I'm excited for uni anyway, but having seen the clips and comments, I don't think I'll be like any of the students chosen.
In my boyfriend's house this year, there was one girl who tried to have an ONS basically every time she was out, if what I was told is to be believed. I went out with her, my boyfriend and some of their friends and became a rather adept cock blocker. I also really can't stand the idea of not being independent from your SO or whatever. My best friend has just completed her first year attached to the hip of her boyfriend, which, although they love each other, can't be healthy.
My boyfriend spent his freshers' week going out every night and rang me every night as he was 'girlfriend sick,' but he's still made really good friends in his first year, whom I hope he keeps through uni.
Thanks hun.

Speaking from others' experiences, I'm afraid, but I have some really close friends who are shy or who don't drink. They're all very industrious and have really found themselves (and made plenty of good friends) at uni. At the beginning, everyone will be nervous, but the fact that you're all in the same boat presents an opportunity to make friends :smile:
Original post by BlackMagicV
Speaking from others' experiences, I'm afraid, but I have some really close friends who are shy or who don't drink. They're all very industrious and have really found themselves (and made plenty of good friends) at uni. At the beginning, everyone will be nervous, but the fact that you're all in the same boat presents an opportunity to make friends :smile:

I'm just trying to think of my strategy for making friends aha.

Aww bless you!

I'm also not so interesting in these social doings

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just trying to think of my strategy for making friends aha.

I will talk to anyone and I make sure everyone is included, whether they drink or not. Hopefully you'll be with friendly (if slightly socially awkward) flatmates :smile:
Original post by Trustno1
Aww bless you!

I'm also not so interesting in these social doings

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha Thankyou. I just don't enjoy doing things that could possibly kill me, they're not very fun, I mean neck nomination? Really? No thanks.
Original post by BlackMagicV
I will talk to anyone and I make sure everyone is included, whether they drink or not. Hopefully you'll be with friendly (if slightly socially awkward) flatmates :smile:

I'm hoping my flatmates aren't alcoholics, or at least they won't be sick everywhere.
I'm hoping my flatmates aren't alcoholics, or at least they won't be sick everywhere.

Of all the friends who have come to my parties (about 40-50) at home, I think 1 has chundered every time and he's not the kind of 'let's go wild and partayyyyy' type. We do have to spend at least an hour cleaning up vom every time though, even with a few of us staying sober. I do drink, but not to excess. I know my limits and I can handle my drink. However, I don't want to drink beyond my limits due to an incident that occurred a couple of years ago.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest