The Student Room Group

Good enough for Oxbridge?

I don't really know how much Oxbridge care about GCSE results. However, would these results at GCSE be worth applying for Oxbridge, or would there be no point?

I would probably be looking to apply specifically for maths.

Mathematics: A*
English Language: A*
English Literature: A
Chemistry: A
Biology: A*
Physics: A
ICT: A
Religious Studies: A
French: B
History: A*
Music A*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI:

For A-levels I will probably take: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computing, History.

Suppose for A2 levels I got. Maths:A*, Further maths: A, Computing A.

Would it be worth applying? Or would I need an A* in further maths too?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have an offer for maths at Cambridge and my GCSEs aren't as good as yours, so go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Also their offers don't usually require an A* in further maths (mine doesn't), instead you'll have to perform well on the MAT (for Oxford) or STEP (for Cambridge)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Joel_tsr
I have an offer for maths at Cambridge and my GCSEs aren't as good as yours, so go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I'm about to start year 11, so am starting to think about what my GCSEs and A-level grades need to be to get me into a very good uni in the future (oxbridge/imperial/ucl)

Doing early entry in Math, Eng, Eng lit and Religious studies. Expecting A*,A*,A,A respectively.
Reply 4
Original post by RG110man
Thanks. I'm about to start year 11, so am starting to think about what my GCSEs and A-level grades need to be to get me into a very good uni in the future (oxbridge/imperial/ucl)

Doing early entry in Math, Eng, Eng lit and Religious studies. Expecting A*,A*,A,A respectively.

It's good that you're thinking about all this already, I certainly wasn't! If you achieve those grades a year early then you're setting yourself up very nicely to get into a top university. Although I wouldn't worry too much if you don't get grades as good as those since AS results, your personal statement and, for Oxford, your performance on the MAT, will be the most important factors.

You may also like to start looking at some BMO1 papers and trying a few questions, they will be extremely helpful in improving your maths skills. Unis will like it if you qualify for the BMO1 particularly if you manage it in year 12, or even year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It's good that you're thinking about all this already, I certainly wasn't! If you achieve those grades a year early then you're setting yourself up very nicely to get into a top university. Although I wouldn't worry too much if you don't get grades as good as those since AS results, your personal statement and, for Oxford, your performance on the MAT, will be the most important factors.

You may also like to start looking at some BMO1 papers and trying a few questions, they will be extremely helpful in improving your maths skills. Unis will like it if you qualify for the BMO1 particularly if you manage it in year 12, or even year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your feedback and advice. Much appreciated.
I don't really know how much Oxbridge care about GCSE results. However, would these results at GCSE be worth applying for Oxbridge, or would there be no point?

Music A*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI:

For A-levels I will probably take: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computing, History.

Of course! :colondollar::colondollar::cool::cool:
Although it's 100% your choice, I can't help but to think that Physics would make a nice match with maths and FM. Of course it's completely your choice, but just some food for thought :smile:
Reply 8
Also their offers don't usually require an A* in further maths (mine doesn't), instead you'll have to perform well on the MAT (for Oxford) or STEP (for Cambridge)

Posted from TSR Mobile

An Oxford maths offer would definitely include an A* in Further Maths (if the applicant were taking it to A2). The standard offer is A*A*A - this also applies to a number of other universities for Maths

Music A*
FYI:

Of course, the GCSE results are really good, I think you should apply for it. With the A2 results, they seem good to me but like someone else said, they do MAT and STEP too + they will care about other stuff like your PS too :smile:
If I don't get over 90%UMS in my AS's is there any point applying for Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Fred Cantoni
If I don't get over 90%UMS in my AS's is there any point applying for Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Cambridge really cares about AS results. They should be 90 or more. Oxford apparently does not put as much focus on AS % but on pre entry tests
http://university.which.co.uk/advice/what-do-i-need-to-get-into-oxford-or-cambridge-straight-a-s
This article really sums it up

This is an article I liked about the applications:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work
Reply 12
Original post by Mia1001
I think Cambridge really cares about AS results. They should be 90 or more. Oxford apparently does not put as much focus on AS % but on pre entry tests
http://university.which.co.uk/advice/what-do-i-need-to-get-into-oxford-or-cambridge-straight-a-s
This article really sums it up

This is an article I liked about the applications:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work

Top nerd MP :biggrin:
Original post by Fred Cantoni

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends which college you apply to. If you only want Trinity or another popular one then probably not. But if you are willing to apply to a smaller one then it depends.

Don't bother applying if you get below 85% is the general outlook, but if you have 85-90%, your personal statement and teacher reference will need to be extra special. Cambridge gives interviews to approximately 80% of applicants, so your interview will count for a lot too. If you don't do as well as you could in exams, don't give up completely. You will, however, need to make more effort on the other parts of your application.
Reply 14
Original post by an935

I do my research to deal with the stress okay

Music A*
FYI:

I've got to say, how can you even predict your grades in things you have not even done yet...
Original post by an935

Cheers for the reply! I'm not really interested in Oxford as I feel there are other universities that do what I want to do better with lower entry requirements!

Looking at your articles I might be able to scrape into one of the more undersubscribed colleges with a good interview!

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JayJay-C19
I've got to say, how can you even predict your grades in things you have not even done yet...

I'm literally just making a rough guess at what I think I might be capable of getting. These predictions are by no means accurate. I'm just curious as to what peoples' responses are. I've also judged it off of what teachers at school have said I'm capable of getting if I'm willing to put the work into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Music A*
FYI:

They don't look much at GCSE results. Only briefly. The value A-Level results and your personal statement much much more :biggrin:
You've got almost entirely A*s and As, why wouldn't that be good enough?

Quick Reply

Latest