The Student Room Group

References?

Hi, I'm applying for medicine this year, I know I need a reference from a teacher, but do I need references from people I've volunteered for and work experience to prove that I've done it, or are unis only bothered about seeing my teachers reference and take my word for the things i claim to of done? Thanks for any replies:smile:
Original post by Exx
Hi, I'm applying for medicine this year, I know I need a reference from a teacher, but do I need references from people I've volunteered for and work experience to prove that I've done it, or are unis only bothered about seeing my teachers reference and take my word for the things i claim to of done? Thanks for any replies:smile:

Your school will supply the appropriate reference. They will be confirming that what you say on your reference is the truth, so expect to be asked about it.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Your school will supply the appropriate reference. They will be confirming that what you say on your reference is the truth, so expect to be asked about it.
thanks. But even if the stuff is nothing to do with school, and surely then people could just lie to teachers. (I'm not pretending I've done things by the way, I'm just worried as ive actually finished some volunteering and work experience but have no proof I've done it :/, so I was thinking if I did need them I should ask now while they still remember me).
Original post by Exx
thanks. But even if the stuff is nothing to do with school, and surely then people could just lie to teachers. (I'm not pretending I've done things by the way, I'm just worried as ive actually finished some volunteering and work experience but have no proof I've done it :/, so I was thinking if I did need them I should ask now while they still remember me).

There is no place on a Ucas form for anything other than the official reference, although if you wanted to, you could ask the universities if they would like to hear from the other parties. They don't usually require this. As to lying to the teachers who write your reference, then I would say that we aren't very often taken in. If there is any doubt about the truth of your ps, schools will withhold its processing until they are satisfied.
I was told that some universities ask for references of certain things eg work experience placements or at least a confirmation of dates at different points in their application process, so it might be worth getting references from the various places. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a confirmation of dates apparently. :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending