The Student Room Group

Braces

Hi! :smile:

I've just found out I'm going to have to get braces. Could you give me some advice, tips or experience for when getting the braces on, what to eat when the braces are on or anything else I'll need to know?

I'm going for the mould and x-ray in August, a discussion in September and I will get my braces on in early November, if everything goes to plan. Does the mould or x-ray hurt?

The story of why I need braces: I was about 6 and I had a small buggy-"car" type thing that you sit on and ride around by pushing on the floor with your feet. A bit like a sit-down scooter, really. Anyway, me being the half-stupid, half-curious child I was, I wondered whether or not I would fall off it if I stood on it at the top of my drive. (My drive is long and quite steep, with the odd pothole.) Obviously, I fell off. Two of my teeth fell out and my gum was bleeding. It didn't all end in tears though - I was sent to a rather good-looking doctor! (Though, at the age of 6, I was probably a bit too young for him!)

The two teeth that fell out were on my top gum and my other teeth spread out into their places. Now, I have a gap between my front two teeth on the top and a canine doesn't have space to come down because a couple of thw teeth that spread into its place are blocking it.

3 of my teeth are still baby teeth and need to come out and he has told me to, for my "homework", try to make these 3 baby teeth wobbly so that they come out in time for the appointment at the start of August. Any tips on how to get them out without so much pain? Does the old apple trick actually work? These 3 teeth are in slightly awkward places though - they have each actually found themselves behind another tooth.

I may have to have a tooth taken out. They will tell me whether this is necessary or not in late September, but if I do, can you tell me about the procedure, how much it hurts and ways to minimise the pain and worrying?

Thank you in advance! I look forward to reading all of your braces tips. :hello:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

The pain is all in your mind.

Reply 2
Original post by STARFLEET

Haha! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Getting out teeth does hurt but, it's not the act itself it is the needles used beforehand to numb your gums. I had to get a lot of baby teeth out before getting a brace as they just wouldn't fall out. The dentist left it for for years though in hope that they would come out naturally. This ended up with me getting braces at 17 rather than 15/16.

When getting a brace, the mould feels uncomfortable but doesn't hurt. The brace itself will feel painful for the first few days and you will have trouble eating food for the first week or so as it will feel tender. You will get used to it though and it will only hurt when getting it tightened but you will gradually get used to it. The last time I had mine tightened before getting them removed I hardly felt any pain or discomfort.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by corax
Getting out teeth does hurt but, it's not the act itself it is the needles used beforehand to numb your gums. I had to get a lot of baby teeth out before getting a brace as they just wouldn't fall out. The dentist left it for for years though in hope that they would come out naturally. This ended up with me getting braces at 17 rather than 15/16.

When getting a brace, the mould feels uncomfortable but doesn't hurt. The brace itself will feel painful for the first few days and you will have trouble eating food for the first week or so as it will feel tender. You will get used to it though and it will only hurt when getting it tightened but you will gradually get used to it. The last time I had mine tightened before getting them removed I hardly felt any pain or discomfort.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks, that's helpful. :smile: Is the needle that numbs gums local anaesthetic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The x-ray doesn't hurt, neither does the mould! Mould feels weird as hell though, I didn't like it but it wasn't painful at all. It's just a goo over your teeth, breath through your mouth the entire time it's on to make it set faster.

For the first few days, maybe a week (this is when they're first put on and every adjustment that you have to them) your teeth will be incredibly sensitive. They will hurt, but not necessarily constantly but make sure that you have a lot of liquid foods and soft foods at the ready because you can't bite down. The first thing I ate after having them put on was a banana. I couldn't even chew it, I had to mush it against the roof of my mouth with my tongue to be able to swallow it. Couldn't even eat grapes. The best thing, I found, was milkshakes (Slim Fast so you're not suddenly gaining weight, but also they're delicious). Eventually you'll find it a bit easier to eat and then after a week or so you'll be eating as normal.

When you eat, just be sure to check your brace afterwards, chances are there will be some food stuck in there. My dentist gave me this toothbrush with a small cluster of bristles to help clean between each bracket, I believe you can buy them from Boots if they don't give you one
Also, something I was never warned on and I know this didn't just happen to me, but when I first got them put in my lips were very irritated by the metal and I developed a number of cold sores across my lips. Not guaranteed for you but I think you should know that it's a possibility.

Other than that, you carry on as normal. The only difference I found, with the exception of the first week of each adjustment (it took less time for me to recover after a while), is that I found it difficult to eat hard crispy chips. You know when you get chips from KFC/McDonalds etc and there are those smaller chips that are just rock hard batter? I couldn't eat those very well the whole time I had braces, not too sure why because I don't remember very well. I could eat everything else though.

If you get your teeth removed then just get on the chair and from the moment they start to even just look in your mouth, close your eyes. Keep them closed until it's all completely over. I find it all much easier to bare with, blissful ignorance.
Reply 6
Original post by sophie !
Thanks, that's helpful. :smile: Is the needle that numbs gums local anaesthetic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I presume it must be :tongue: Whatever it is you can't feel any pain after having it.
Original post by STARFLEET

Ye when I had braces I just carried on eating whatever I wanted. The pain isn't really a big deal. It's not like you'l pass out from the pain or anything lol.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends mine were local, but when I was having a bond attached to my canine, which was in the gum (this is known as a buried impacted canine if you wanted to know), they used general and there were lots of other teens there who were having teeth out. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by corax
I presume it must be :tongue: Whatever it is you can't feel any pain after having it.

Great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by sliceofcake
The x-ray doesn't hurt, neither does the mould! Mould feels weird as hell though, I didn't like it but it wasn't painful at all. It's just a goo over your teeth, breath through your mouth the entire time it's on to make it set faster.

For the first few days, maybe a week (this is when they're first put on and every adjustment that you have to them) your teeth will be incredibly sensitive. They will hurt, but not necessarily constantly but make sure that you have a lot of liquid foods and soft foods at the ready because you can't bite down. The first thing I ate after having them put on was a banana. I couldn't even chew it, I had to mush it against the roof of my mouth with my tongue to be able to swallow it. Couldn't even eat grapes. The best thing, I found, was milkshakes (Slim Fast so you're not suddenly gaining weight, but also they're delicious). Eventually you'll find it a bit easier to eat and then after a week or so you'll be eating as normal.

When you eat, just be sure to check your brace afterwards, chances are there will be some food stuck in there. My dentist gave me this toothbrush with a small cluster of bristles to help clean between each bracket, I believe you can buy them from Boots if they don't give you one
Also, something I was never warned on and I know this didn't just happen to me, but when I first got them put in my lips were very irritated by the metal and I developed a number of cold sores across my lips. Not guaranteed for you but I think you should know that it's a possibility.

Other than that, you carry on as normal. The only difference I found, with the exception of the first week of each adjustment (it took less time for me to recover after a while), is that I found it difficult to eat hard crispy chips. You know when you get chips from KFC/McDonalds etc and there are those smaller chips that are just rock hard batter? I couldn't eat those very well the whole time I had braces, not too sure why because I don't remember very well. I could eat everything else though.

If you get your teeth removed then just get on the chair and from the moment they start to even just look in your mouth, close your eyes. Keep them closed until it's all completely over. I find it all much easier to bare with, blissful ignorance.

That helps a lot. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by ChickenMadness
Ye when I had braces I just carried on eating whatever I wanted. The pain isn't really a big deal. It's not like you'l pass out from the pain or anything lol.

Good to know. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by slg60
Depends mine were local, but when I was having a bond attached to my canine, which was in the gum (this is known as a buried impacted canine if you wanted to know), they used general and there were lots of other teens there who were having teeth out. :biggrin:

General anaesthetic worries me so much; you're not in control of anything and, I don't know, I'd hate it. I wouldn't mind having a tooth pulled out under local anaesthetic, but… Does this sound crazy?! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
General anaesthetic worries me so much; you're not in control of anything and, I don't know, I'd hate it. I wouldn't mind having a tooth pulled out under local anaesthetic, but… Does this sound crazy?! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what I prefer, local is much more painful depending on where you get it, but general it wipes you out for an entire day and as it has to be done is hospital you are there for hours before it is actually being done.

Not crazy at all general is weird though, it is so odd how quickly you are out, I was looking at the anesthetist injecting me with the liquid and she said that you should start to feel sleepy now, as the moment she said it I was like "yeah... I do" and just flopped back and was gone. Also my behavior was somewhat bizarre afterwards I remember asking at her asking why the TV was not there anymore ( the room I was previously in had a TV in) she told me that we were not in that room, to which I replied "I know that, what are you telling me that for, I'm not a fool!" In hindsight it is quite funny but I was not pleased at the time. :P
Reply 14
Original post by slg60
I don't know what I prefer, local is much more painful depending on where you get it, but general it wipes you out for an entire day and as it has to be done is hospital you are there for hours before it is actually being done.

Not crazy at all general is weird though, it is so odd how quickly you are out, I was looking at the anesthetist injecting me with the liquid and she said that you should start to feel sleepy now, as the moment she said it I was like "yeah... I do" and just flopped back and was gone. Also my behavior was somewhat bizarre afterwards I remember asking at her asking why the TV was not there anymore ( the room I was previously in had a TV in) she told me that we were not in that room, to which I replied "I know that, what are you telling me that for, I'm not a fool!" In hindsight it is quite funny but I was not pleased at the time. :P

Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had 4 pre-molars out just before I had my braces in.. I'm not going to lie I really didn't like it, the anaesthetic is fine once it's working but I had like 6 shots for 2 teeth! take a stress ball or something would be my tip for that, something to distract you a bit :smile:
Also, it depends what teeth you get out but mine left holes where the roots were before (sorry bit gruesome!) which was the worst part because it was really tender so when I ate sharp foods (eg crisps) it would spike it.. obviously that is avoidable though by being really careful!

Braces are absolutely fine- having them put on doesn't hurt, it feels a bit weird but it's not painful until a few hours after/the next day.. but that is solved with some paracetamol :smile:

The worst part of braces is the way they rub on the inside of your cheek, I have had a fair few ulcers but if you make sure you get given proper wax (NOT the wax strips which don't work at all) you will be absolutely fine!

Also sometimes food gets caught in it and that is a tad embarrassing but who cares, you won't remember in like a month :smile:
The last thing I would say (I'm almost done, promise!) is that I found it a bit more difficult to speak for the first couple of days because I had to make a real effort to pronounce all my words properly etc, but I got over it quite quickly.

Hope you find it ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by bethanyaldridge
I had 4 pre-molars out just before I had my braces in.. I'm not going to lie I really didn't like it, the anaesthetic is fine once it's working but I had like 6 shots for 2 teeth! take a stress ball or something would be my tip for that, something to distract you a bit :smile:
Also, it depends what teeth you get out but mine left holes where the roots were before (sorry bit gruesome!) which was the worst part because it was really tender so when I ate sharp foods (eg crisps) it would spike it.. obviously that is avoidable though by being really careful!

Braces are absolutely fine- having them put on doesn't hurt, it feels a bit weird but it's not painful until a few hours after/the next day.. but that is solved with some paracetamol :smile:

The worst part of braces is the way they rub on the inside of your cheek, I have had a fair few ulcers but if you make sure you get given proper wax (NOT the wax strips which don't work at all) you will be absolutely fine!

Also sometimes food gets caught in it and that is a tad embarrassing but who cares, you won't remember in like a month :smile:
The last thing I would say (I'm almost done, promise!) is that I found it a bit more difficult to speak for the first couple of days because I had to make a real effort to pronounce all my words properly etc, but I got over it quite quickly.

Hope you find it ok!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, I'll keep that in mind. :smile:

I've just found out I'm going to have to get braces. Could you give me some advice, tips or experience for when getting the braces on, what to eat when the braces are on or anything else I'll need to know?

I'm going for the mould and x-ray in August, a discussion in September and I will get my braces on in early November, if everything goes to plan. Does the mould or x-ray hurt?

The story of why I need braces: I was about 6 and I had a small buggy-"car" type thing that you sit on and ride around by pushing on the floor with your feet. A bit like a sit-down scooter, really. Anyway, me being the half-stupid, half-curious child I was, I wondered whether or not I would fall off it if I stood on it at the top of my drive. (My drive is long and quite steep, with the odd pothole.) Obviously, I fell off. Two of my teeth fell out and my gum was bleeding. It didn't all end in tears though - I was sent to a rather good-looking doctor! (Though, at the age of 6, I was probably a bit too young for him!)

The two teeth that fell out were on my top gum and my other teeth spread out into their places. Now, I have a gap between my front two teeth on the top and a canine doesn't have space to come down because a couple of thw teeth that spread into its place are blocking it.

3 of my teeth are still baby teeth and need to come out and he has told me to, for my "homework", try to make these 3 baby teeth wobbly so that they come out in time for the appointment at the start of August. Any tips on how to get them out without so much pain? Does the old apple trick actually work? These 3 teeth are in slightly awkward places though - they have each actually found themselves behind another tooth.

I may have to have a tooth taken out. They will tell me whether this is necessary or not in late September, but if I do, can you tell me about the procedure, how much it hurts and ways to minimise the pain and worrying?

Thank you in advance! I look forward to reading all of your braces tips. :hello:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't be allowed to bite into hard fruit like apples- you have to cut them up if you want to eat them
Reply 18
Original post by jelly1000
You won't be allowed to bite into hard fruit like apples- you have to cut them up if you want to eat them

Okay. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello. The mould doesn't hurt at all, neither does the X-ray, so fear not. :smile:

But I'm very surprised to hear that you still have baby teeth to be honest, I had no idea people could have braces fitted if they still had baby teeth.

Anyway, regarding the tooth extractions: I had braces for over 4 years, I needed 4 tooth extractions. The tooth extractions were surprisingly painless (I'm almost tempted to write 'pleasant' but at the end of the day, it's a tooth extraction after all, can't be pleasant!). Anyway...they inject anaesthetic into the gum around the teeth to be extracted, the procedure is 100% painless. I'm normally quite a squeamish coward, but I didn't flinch at all while he pulled out my teeth, the anaesthetic is 100% effective. You will definitely still fully experience the sensation of your tooth being extracted, but there's no pain...it's actually quite a weird sensation! But don't worry about it. Although...on one particular tooth, it was painful when he first tried to pull it out, so I asked him to inject more anaesthetic, and that did the job.

After you have teeth extracted, your mouth is completely numb for a while, it's funny, you won't be able to talk properly!

With regards to what you can eat: make sure you cut apples into small pieces using a knife. Same goes for carrots. It's important you don't bite down on hard foods like raw vegetables, it could cause a bracket to become loose from the enamel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending