The Student Room Group

Why didn't Africa Colonize europe? Help

Heya

Does anyone know if any African countries/ empires colonised any regions of europe or Asia?

If they didn't are there any reasons? or were african empires just more friendly??

I'm just wondering, there's nothing on google.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by itrader
Heya

Does anyone know if any African countries/ empires colonised any regions of europe or Asia?

If they didn't are there any reasons? or were african empires just more friendly??

Thanks

Civilization first appeared in the Northern Sahara (Egypt), back then their was no agriculture industry that could sustain an army marching north for weeks.

From Egypt onward, the west had a massive lead on the world culminating in the Roman Empire.

After that Asia and the Islamic Empire were far more advanced but probably had no idea what existed south of the Sahara.

Then western Europe spawned empire in the late 1400's, by the time we invaded them Africa was centuries behind (we actually brought them forward).
Well the Almoravid Dynasty's empire at it's greatest extend stretched into al-Andalus (i.e. Spain) in the 12th century.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is a joke right?
Has to be.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Well the Almoravid Dynasty's empire at it's greatest extend stretched into al-Andalus (i.e. Spain) in the 12th century.

Also the Carthaginian Republic extended as far north as Corsica in the 3rd B.C.
Africans colonised the planet. Of course that was before any nations or borders existed. That doesn't change the current leading theory, that Africa is the motherland of homo sapien sapiens.
Bcause they knew that if they waited long enough liberals would invite them all over to colonize Europe without having to fight for it. Why struggle when you don't have to?
(edited 9 years ago)
Moved to History.
They colonized other african territories. i also dont think the africans were as advanced.
Although the Moors were in Spain, Italy, Southern France for over 1,000 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by MrEFeynman
Africans colonised the planet. Of course that was before any nations or borders existed. That doesn't change the current leading theory, that Africa is the motherland of homo sapien sapiens.

Greatest response I read haha great effort.

As for actual African kingdom expansion, I don't believe they ever actually conquered any kingdoms outside of their continent. (I assume were not considering not accepting Egypt as an African Kingdom) Carthage I suppose you could class them as an African kingdom but they were just Phoenician colonists, running from Tyre no doubt.

The southern kingdoms couldn't really get out of Africa, to the North East you had Egypt which wouldn't let you come rolling through their territory. To the North was the Sahara and then Ocean in the other directions. They had no need their lands were vast anyway. Not to mention the amount of war they might of had from neighbouring tribes, tis a large place.
Quite a lot of it is due to location, but there are many reasons:

1. Europe was geographically closer to the "Weserlies" and "Easterlies" trade winds that could carry ships to North/South America and Asia (mainly China). This made accessing these countries easier, and Europe was able to trade and discover much easier than the Africans would have been able to. This increased trade with China, the Middle East and Egypt brought a lot of technology with it (guns, gunpowder, windmills, paper, books, the wheel, crossbows, body armour) and so Europeans were better equipped to further explore, conquer and colonise.

2. The Europeans also had a large number of domesticated animals. Horses, pigs, sheep, goats and cows are all naturally found in European and were not difficult to domesticate. No other continent had as wide a variety of domesticated animals. Food, therefore, was much less of an issue than in Africa.

3. Europe did not have a large homogenous population like those found in Asia, the Americas, and Australia. This caused interfighting between ethnic groups that led to the development of more effect and dangerous weapons.

4. The Europeans (Spanish) got lucky by colonising South America. They stole Aztec and Incan gold and silver (which multiplied Europe's economy by 6 TIMES!) then the indigenous peoples all died from diseases brought from Europe. Similarly, when North America was colonised, the native Americans died from small pox, and so the Europeans didn't really have much of a fight when it came to taking over.

5. Europeans got there first -- as stupid as this sounds as a reason, the Portuguese went across to Africa and started the slave trade. Combined with going and forming colonies in Africa, the native African population was a lot more restricted in terms of expansion and colonising.

Had Africa advanced, explored and colonised first, the situation would likely be different.
Original post by Captain Haddock

Original post by The Socktor
Also the Carthaginian Republic extended as far north as Corsica in the 3rd B.C.

I think what we are referring to here is subsahara Africa, not the whole of the African continent. Northern African cultures were closer geographically and in culture to the European and Middle Eastern cultures, as such Carthage for example was African only geographically.
Carthage and Egypt, to my knowledge.

non from sub-Saharan Africa, but then if the OP is alluding to Africans being inferior, how come only the Mongols from Asia ever got close to Europe and threatened it in a major way? Persia and the Ottomans don't count.
All homo-sapiens (humans) are from Africa originally. So they did colonise Europe and everywhere else. It is just that this was in a time of nomadic hunter gatherer foraging, where agriculture wasn't really a thing and civilisation hadn't been developed.
Not sure if this came out right. :s-smilie:

Regardless of this, there is always the moors and the Egyptians.
Original post by KrisCussans
Regardless of this, there is always the moors and the Egyptians.

Egyptians never colonised any part of Europe. Besides, it seems we're talking about subsahara Africa.
Original post by Sir Fox
Egyptians never colonised any part of Europe. Besides, it seems we're talking about subsahara Africa.

They went into Asia, not very far though.
Original post by KrisCussans
They went into Asia, not very far though.

Yes?
Original post by itrader
Heya

Thanks

may have been mentioned already, but here goes:

Africa was completely unmapped in the 17th/18th century, and at this point in time no-one really in Africa was educated to the level that people in systematic Europe were, meaning that they were at a technological disadvantage.

Due to said disadvantage, they also had primitive weapons in comparison to European powers (spears vs guns essentially) so they were too weak to colonise other parts of the world.

Whites (from Europe) thought that they were superior to the Blacks in Africa, not the other way round - therefore no motive for people in Africa to colonise.

Africa was disorganised, no way of communicating, mobilising, etc in comparison to Europeans who had railways, coal, guns, etc.

hope this helps
Original post by Sir Fox
Yes?

This is just in response to the OP's questions though.

"Does anyone know if any African countries/ empires colonised any regions of europe or Asia?"
Some did go into Asia and Africa. It's I'd prefer the thought of pre-civilisation colonisation by travelling foragers and hunter gatherers.
Reply 19
Carthage doesn't count. Apart from being blatantly Phoenician removed by only a couple of generations, they only really colonized Spain, Corsica and Sardinia. The march on Rome was a few battlefield conquests (albeit great ones) and then the equivalent of a very large camping tour of Italy. It wasn't conquest/colonization as we know it (and as everyone else did it) and Hannibal constantly had is hand out to the Carthaginian Council for more money, troops, everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending