The Student Room Group

Applying to University of Birmingham for Medicine (2015 entry)

Hi guys,
Recently I went to look at the University of Birmingham and fell in love with it! I would really like to go there to study medicine but is a little worried about my GCSE grades. They say that they prefer someone with A* in English, Maths and the sciences at GCSE level but might consider someone with an A in one of those subject. I'm that kind of person! I achieved A* in maths and triple science, but only got As in both English Language and Literature. When I talked to the admissions tutors, they were a little unsure about if I would get through or not. Please help!! Any advice on whether I should apply to Birmingham or not? I don't want to waste one of my 4 options....
Thanks!! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Sunbun
Hi guys,
Recently I went to look at the University of Birmingham and fell in love with it! I would really like to go there to study medicine but is a little worried about my GCSE grades. They say that they prefer someone with A* in English, Maths and the sciences at GCSE level but might consider someone with an A in one of those subject. I'm that kind of person! I achieved A* in maths and triple science, but only got As in both English Language and Literature. When I talked to the admissions tutors, they were a little unsure about if I would get through or not. Please help!! Any advice on whether I should apply to Birmingham or not? I don't want to waste one of my 4 options....

What are your GCSE grades overall?
Original post by Sunbun
Hi guys,

Birmingham are more A* targeted than other schools (why I didn't apply) so I personally see it as a bit risky, but if you love it I don't see why not!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Sunbun
Hi guys,

I would say 100% do NOT apply to Birmingham-it would be a complete waste of a choice. I don't know who gave the admissions talk at the recent open day, but last year it was the person in charge of admissions (Dr Spruce) who said 'Preference Given=Must Have' because of the standard and number of applicants they get. I had 10 A*s at GCSE (A*s in English Lang Maths Chem Bio and Physics), 3 A*s at A Level (Chem Bio and Maths) a B in AS German by the time I came to the open day day. I managed to talk to Dr Spruce after the admissions talk and he said I would definetely not get an interview because of my B in AS German. He admitted Birmingham are extremely picky about what they want-they cannot afford to be holistic/lenient because they assess applicants only on their grades. So effectively in answer to your question is it's essential you have an A* in either English Lang or English Lit GCSE-unless you qualify for an interview under contextual data, in which case they do make allowances .To give you an idea of just how picky they are-I knew someone who got 9 A*s in GCSE (A*s in Chem Bio Maths and English Lang) and 4 A's at AS but was rejected pre-interview because he didn't take Physics IGCSE.

Personally I wasn't too keen on Birmingham and so was adamant I didn't want to risk applying there. Sadly I then went on to get 4 rejections and I often feel really annoyed I didn't take a 4th easier subject at AS. As I'm on a gap year I can't reapply next year so I'm going to do Biomed for three years. I hope I get a 1st so I can apply to Birmingham in the future if i decide to go for grad-entry (although I'm leaning towards not reapplying and just becoming a research scientist)

Good luck with your application!
Reply 4
I would agree with the above. Do not make risky applications, you've only got 4 choices and they all need to count and give you a good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you guys for all your advice!! I cant believe that Birmingham values academic grades so highly!! Well im glad that I got told this because I'm DEFINITELY not going to apply there anymore! Not wasting one of my 4 precious options. Thanks again!
While we are on the subject, what other universities would you recommend? I was thinking Leicester, St.George's and Bristol?
Reply 6
Original post by msewell12
I would say 100% do NOT apply to Birmingham-it would be a complete waste of a choice. I don't know who gave the admissions talk at the recent open day, but last year it was the person in charge of admissions (Dr Spruce) who said 'Preference Given=Must Have' because of the standard and number of applicants they get. I had 10 A*s at GCSE (A*s in English Lang Maths Chem Bio and Physics), 3 A*s at A Level (Chem Bio and Maths) a B in AS German by the time I came to the open day day. I managed to talk to Dr Spruce after the admissions talk and he said I would definetely not get an interview because of my B in AS German. He admitted Birmingham are extremely picky about what they want-they cannot afford to be holistic/lenient because they assess applicants only on their grades. So effectively in answer to your question is it's essential you have an A* in either English Lang or English Lit GCSE-unless you qualify for an interview under contextual data, in which case they do make allowances .To give you an idea of just how picky they are-I knew someone who got 9 A*s in GCSE (A*s in Chem Bio Maths and English Lang) and 4 A's at AS but was rejected pre-interview because he didn't take Physics IGCSE.

Personally I wasn't too keen on Birmingham and so was adamant I didn't want to risk applying there. Sadly I then went on to get 4 rejections and I often feel really annoyed I didn't take a 4th easier subject at AS. As I'm on a gap year I can't reapply next year so I'm going to do Biomed for three years. I hope I get a 1st so I can apply to Birmingham in the future if i decide to go for grad-entry (although I'm leaning towards not reapplying and just becoming a research scientist)

Good luck with your application!

Whoah!! I cant believe that! You had such high grades!! Well thanks for you advice, I don't think im going to apply to Birmingham anymore. Good luck with your application as well, I hope you get a place this time!
These are my (i)GCSEs:

1. Physics - A*
2. Chemistry - A*
3. Biology - A*
4. History - A*
5. Economics - A*
6. Chinese - A*
7. Extended Mathematics - A*
8. Additional Mathematics - A*
9. English Language - A*
10. English Literature - A

IB - Predicted 45
(HL Biology - 7, HL Chemistry - 7, HL Math - 7, SL Chinese - 7, SL Economics - 7, SL English Lang/Lit - 7)

So I have an A* in English Lang and A in English Lit, so is it worth applying or not?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ishysmile
These are my (i)GCSEs:

1. Physics - A*
2. Chemistry - A*
3. Biology - A*
4. History - A*
5. Economics - A*
6. Chinese - A*
7. Extended Mathematics - A*
8. Additional Mathematics - A*
9. English Language - A*
10. English Literature - A

IB - Predicted 45
(HL Biology - 7, HL Chemistry - 7, HL Biology - 7, SL Chinese - 7, SL Economics - 7, SL English Lang/Lit - 7)

So I have an A* in English Lang and A in English Lit, so is it worth applying or not?

What do you think? :biggrin:
Original post by solarplexus
What do you think? :biggrin:

So you reckon having an A* in at least one English (in this case English Lang) should be okay?
I got A*s in only Additional Science and Maths and As in Core Science and English Lit and Lang at GCSE and got an offer from Birmingham, so I'd say if you love it, definitely apply. Just make sure you work as hard as you can at AS to get all As :smile:
Hey! I am sort of in the same situation, would appreciate any feedback! :smile:
My IGCSEs were:
1. EVM - A*
2. ICT - A*
3. Physics - A*
4. Biology - A*
5. Chemistry - A*
6. Maths - A*
7. English Language - A
8. Hindi - A

Just gave AS and my results were:
1. Maths - A
2. Biology - A
3. Chemistry - A
4. Physics - A
5. English Language - A

Do you think my AS results can make up for my IGCSEs? :frown: Is Birmingham an option for me?

Thanks again! x
Does birmingham accept AS level retakes? I received my A2 results yesterday- A* in RS, A in Biology and A in Chemistry. However, I did retake AS level chemistry modules to get from a B to an A.
I also have 9A*s and 2 As at GCSE level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending