The Student Room Group

From a 1st to a 2:2

I achieved a first during my first two years at university (I study chemistry), but in my third year I achieved a 2:2. Despite working very hard during my third year, I just couldn't achieve; I know it can't be my intelligence (or can it?). I have been suffering from depression for the past two years now. I still have one more year left to change things, and my exams were flagged as mitigating.

Is it justified to even say that depression has lead to this?
Yes of course. If you have depression it's going to **** things up for you that's why these days depression is taken very seriously.
Reply 2
Original post by Last Day Lepers
Yes of course. If you have depression it's going to **** things up for you that's why these days depression is taken very seriously.

It's like the depression stopped me from being able to absorb new information, and even information that I knew from previous years I struggled to remember them. It affected my energy, focus, ability etc. It pains me to see such a drastic decrease in grades.
Original post by Anonymous
It's like the depression stopped me from being able to absorb new information, and even information that I knew from previous years I struggled to remember them. It affected my energy, focus, ability etc. It pains me to see such a drastic decrease in grades.

Yes, but it is like that. Could no more calculate the simpliest things. I took a year out because of that. I still have a lot of troubles because of those times, but my understanding increased with my mood, it is astonishing. So for me it was the right decision.
Reply 4
Yes, but it is like that. Could no more calculate the simpliest things. I took a year out because of that. I still have a lot of troubles because of those times, but my understanding increased with my mood, it is astonishing. So for me it was the right decision.

Which subject, may I ask? Where you given mitigating circumstances?

yeah all of those things happened to me, though I would say that the depression affected me for a much shorter time than in your case :redface:
Which subject, may I ask? Where you given mitigating circumstances?

Engineering. Yes and no, I took a year out and had not to participate in the exams. But I had to repeat them.

Quick Reply

Latest