The Student Room Group

Undergrad who wears the niqab. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mightyfrog2_10
ok, it seems you think everyone here cares about you going to a university with least Muslims - that's good for you but why would even write it? is it even related to this thread? because quite frankly no one cares.

well it's not like i was hoping everyone would care anyway. if you don't care, then move on with your life and stop talking to me

my post was directed to the OP and yes, what i'm saying is a bit off-topic but it is something which i wanted to talk to the OP about because she wears the niqab

i'm not bashing islam and i'm not trying to criticise the OP for who she is, i'm just interested in her beliefs
Original post by Infinity_4652
well it's not like i was hoping everyone would care anyway. if you don't care, then move on with your life and stop talking to me

my post was directed to the OP and yes, what i'm saying is a bit off-topic but it is something which i wanted to talk to the OP about because she wears the niqab

i'm not bashing islam and i'm not trying to criticise the OP for who she is, i'm just interested in her beliefs

i'm sure OP doesn't care what university you want to go to and why - the presence of Muslims in a university appears to be more important to you than its reputation, which is laughable really.

You're clearly touchy because she wears the niqab. She can wear whatever she wants its a free country, who the hell are you to tell her otherwise? why does she need to explain to you what she wears? why don't you move on with your own life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mcfc
Posted from TSR Mobile

You're totally right, just because they wear Islamic clothing doesn't mean their lifestyles are more superior than yours. I've had many cases were people with Islamic clothing on, trying to be Islamic, coming up to me starting to point out that I should change my dress code to a more 'Islamic' one. What's that all about? Guess when this happens? Every fridays. And the same Joey's walking down the street the next day with unislamic clothing on. Ain't that hypocritical? Well, it's not some muslims, it's majority of them

i think almost all religions have followers who are very off-putting and they don't follow the religion properly even if they choose to

but from past experiences, i see islam from a very negative perspective which is why i'm on the verge of leaving the religion. i just find most muslims too off-putting when they express how they feel their lives are far more superior because they "avoid the messed up western society"
i'm sure OP doesn't care what university you want to go to and why - to a university with less Muslims laughable really. She can wear whatever she wants its a free country, who the hell are you to tell her otherwise?

when did i say she can't wear the niqab?

i don't want the OP to care about me anyway, i'm just interested in her beliefs so that maybe... just maybe i can see some positive light into islam
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by securetrust
And why would you personally care about knowing who's who?? My family and friends have no problem recognizing me.

As Muslims we believe that all of humanity is related to each other due to us all coming from Adam and Eve, I only said it to be polite.

I would get a reward through me having the intention of covering up for the sake of Allah and going through struggles whilst wearing it. This world is supposed to be a test for humans.

Sorry, but I think your first statement is utterly ridiculous. If I wanted to become a friend, of course I would care who's who or it'd be rather awkward. And I'd rather not have to check everyone's shoes.
i'm sure OP doesn't care what university you want to go to and why - the presence of Muslims in a university appears to be more important to you than its reputation, which is laughable really.

You're clearly touchy because she wears the niqab. She can wear whatever she wants its a free country, who the hell are you to tell her otherwise? why does she need to explain to you what she wears? why don't you move on with your own life.

I think you've forgotten what the thread title is.... "Undergrad who wears the niqab. Ask me anything", so she has created a thread so that she can explain to us what she wears. Why would someone be touchy because some randomer wears the niqab in a random city? It sounds overly defensive.
Ask away :smile:

do you plan on getting married?
do you want to marry a british muslim?
do you want to meet them yourself?
or do you want it to be arranged?
Reply 206
When did you start wearing it and have you received any racial abuse as a result of it?

Respect sis. X
Can you get them in red so that you look like a postbox?
Reply 208
i think almost all religions have followers who are very off-putting and they don't follow the religion properly even if they choose to

but from past experiences, i see islam from a very negative perspective which is why i'm on the verge of leaving the religion. i just find most muslims too off-putting when they express how they feel their lives are far more superior because they "avoid the messed up western society"

Yeah that's true.
Well, you simply can't leave a religion due to its followers, whenever an 'Islamic' person comes up to me and tries to judge me, I just totally ignore him/her and leave them to it, because who the heck are they to judge me? It's a 'free' country, I could do whatever I want. However, in the past, I've had many instances where I wanted to leave the religion because of this, what kept me following this religion was the spiritual aspect of the religion, whenever I pray, it's like the best feeling ever. Just ignore all those ignorant fools out there and focus on the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mcfc
Yeah that's true.
Well, you simply can't leave a religion due to its followers, whenever an 'Islamic' person comes up to me and tries to judge me, I just totally ignore him/her and leave them to it, because who the heck are they to judge me? It's a 'free' country, I could do whatever I want. However, in the past, I've had many instances where I wanted to leave the religion because of this, what kept me following this religion was the spiritual aspect of the religion, whenever I pray, it's like the best feeling ever. Just ignore all those ignorant fools out there and focus on the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well it's not just the ignorant muslims who put me off, I think it would be best for me to leave islam if I am to live a free and happy life

btw I'm not going argue about this because I've already done so with other muslims and they do nothing but put me down
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Do you not think the medieval islamic perception of women as immoral seductresses (and indeed of men as lustful rapists incapable of restraint) that the niqab perpetuates has no place in modern liberal society?

As we leave in a "modern liberal society" I have a right wear whatever I choose to wear. :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what university is this?

I think one of the reasons I am put off from applying to Queen Mary is that it happens to have a large muslim community. I know not all muslims are like this, but from what I saw at the open day.... the muslims there WHO WEAR RELIGIOUS CLOTHES are very judgemental and they prefer to keep within their religious group rather mix in with the rest of the student population.

This would not be the same view for everyone, but that was my first impression of the university.

I would rather not say but I can I ask you, how would you know that people are very judgement based on the religious clothes they wear? Personally I don't care about about people's religious beliefs as long as a good, moral beings that's all that matters, not every muslim student is like that.
Original post by Shaolin Punk
do you plan on getting married?
do you want to marry a british muslim?
do you want to meet them yourself?
or do you want it to be arranged?

1. Yes, in the future
2. Ideally yeah, as long as the person is muslim though I don't mind
3. I think I would rather have an arranged marriage, by that I mean that family members or family friends recommend me someone.

Original post by Ahsim
When did you start wearing it and have you received any racial abuse as a result of it?

Respect sis. X

I started wearing it 8 years ago, no not really but I get a lot of negative comments and insults.
Original post by Harjot
Sorry, but I think your first statement is utterly ridiculous. If I wanted to become a friend, of course I would care who's who or it'd be rather awkward. And I'd rather not have to check everyone's shoes.

As I said before my friends have no problems recognising me, not all niqabis dress identically you know.
Original post by Harvey Dent
Can you get them in red so that you look like a postbox?

-___-
Was it entirely your decision?
Original post by EastGuava
Was it entirely your decision?

Yes it was

I would rather not say but I can I ask you, how would you know that people are very judgement based on the religious clothes they wear? Personally I don't care about about people's religious beliefs as long as a good, moral beings that's all that matters, not every muslim student is like that.

the majority of muslims who dress islamically in public show judgemental behaviour towards the non-muslims

i'm not necessarily saying you are one of these muslims. but from my experiences, such muslims have a lot of hatred for the non-muslims out there.
well tbh, i guess it's the same for non-muslims who are islamophobic
the majority of muslims who dress islamically in public show judgemental behaviour towards the non-muslims

i'm not necessarily saying you are one of these muslims. but from my experiences, such muslims have a lot of hatred for the non-muslims out there.

how can you say it's the 'majority show judgemental behaviour' when you only seen some Muslims in your streets dress Islamically? or have you somehow observed Muslims all over the UK and come up with this conclusion?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes it was

So she thinks....

Agreed, a lot have the notion that they need to take over the world. They do this by marrying inter-race/religion and have 8 kids, who are then brought up as muslims. Very sly.
I know a girl who wears the Niqab what sort of osbtscales do you face on a normal day? Plus I admire your appreciation towards Islam. Keep doing what you do Sister!

I feel you

Quick Reply

Latest