The Student Room Group

New maths and further maths A Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenOfThem

I have to wonder how many Core teachers can prove that root 2 is irrational.

Whatt!

It's a very easy proof!
Original post by davros
Do you know if there was ever a consideration of going back to the "traditional" A level choice between "Maths with Mechanics" or "Maths with Stats" which is what AEB, Oxford Local etc seemed to do in the past, or why they rejected that possibility?

I wasn't party to the discussion but I expect it was aired.
Original post by rayquaza17
Whatt!

It's a very easy proof!

Yes it is.
Yep - you can do SE I will do Midlands - we need a Northerner and we are set.

Where does Baby Maths live?
Original post by Mr M
Where does Baby Maths live?

Good thinking :smile:
Good thinking :smile:

It's a deal then. You sort it out. Tell me where and when and I'll pitch up and deliver the sessions. You can keep an extra 5% for the administrative work.
Original post by Mr M
It's a deal then. You sort it out. Tell me where and when and I'll pitch up and deliver the sessions. You can keep an extra 5% for the administrative work.

okie dokie
Original post by Mr M
And the failure rate would hit 95%.

This was a comment to a comment re: STEP style questions.

I see no particular problem with having a section of tougher questions (though maybe not STEP equivalents), the "A* section", comprising, say, 3 or 4 optional questions, at least one of which must be completed if an A* is to be awarded.

That would allow more challenging questions to be set in the context of a standard A level and make the A* award correspond to the demonstration of real mathematical talent.

Some thought would be needed as to how marks would be allocated in such a system though, I guess.
okie dokie

Should have said 2%. Mind you there's no point quibbling over a gold mine.
Original post by Mr M
Should have said 2%. Mind you there's no point quibbling over a gold mine.

:biggrin:
This is my biggest worry.

I am certainly aware of schools local to me that only teach stats or only teach mechanics.

I have to wonder how many Core teachers can prove that root 2 is irrational.

But you know of old my worries regarding the quality of A Level teachers :frown:

My core maths teacher did :smile: although he only knew the first step he figured out the rest
Yep - you can do SE I will do Midlands - we need a Northerner and we are set.

Hahahahahaha. Just as funny as http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2738706
Original post by Mr M
It's what it is. Shall we set up as consultants to train them all up and coin it in?

In the OP you said that it will start from September 2016 sir, does that mean that there will still be exams from the old spec of say M4+M5+D2+S4 etc. being available to take in June 2016.

I was thinking of completing Maths and Further Maths A Levels in summer and then doing AFM the year after in June 2016, however I doubt this will happen if they intend to scrap AFM.

So sir, do you know when the last sitting of the current Edexcel exams will be?

Thanks.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
In the OP you said that it will start from September 2016 sir, does that mean that there will still be exams from the old spec of say M4+M5+D2+S4 etc. being available to take in June 2016.

I was thinking of completing Maths and Further Maths A Levels in summer and then doing AFM the year after in June 2016, however I doubt this will happen if they intend to scrap AFM.

So sir, do you know when the last sitting of the current Edexcel exams will be?

Thanks.

Old specs will continue to be available up to and including June 2017 so you will be fine.
Original post by Mr M
Old specs will continue to be available up to and including June 2017 so you will be fine.

That is great, thank you for that sir. Was getting worried there :colondollar:

Do you also know sir if the AQA iGCSE/GCSE further maths exam is available to take in January or has that been scrapped?

And finally are the only exams that count for anything that you can take early relating to igcse's/gcse/(not a levels I don't think), the Edexcel further maths igcse in January, and the OCR foundations of maths in January too.

I have already completed gcse's in stats and maths :smile:

I can see why tories are making these changes, but in countries where they have much harder exam systems imo, e.g. China, South Korea etc. the caliber of students of say the top 50% would be roughly equivalent to the top 10% in UK, right?

So won't this lead to there being much lower grade boundaries in summer, and could lead to uni's dropping their requirements - or am I wrong here...

Also thanks for your quick response earlier.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Do you also know sir if the AQA iGCSE/GCSE further maths exam is available to take in January or has that been scrapped?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/further-mathematics-8360/updates/january-series

I didn't understand your other question.

That's a damn shame :yep:

Looks a fun exam to do, so will probably do it in summer as long as it doesn't clash.

Doesn't matter sir, usual gibberish from yours truly.

Thank you for your help :hat2:
It seems like a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will encourage some of the A-level maths teacher to properly know material better. Obviously a large majority do, but I know at my old school, one hadn't even do A-level maths themselves, and basically just gave us textbook work and we had to teach it to each other. Thanks for the post.
small angle approximations have been resurrected !!!

it is a sine of the times

:getmecoat:
"Understand and use numerical integration of functions, including finding the
approximate area under a curve and limits that it must lie between".... does this just mean the Trapezium Rule or does it go further ?

Quick Reply

Latest