The Student Room Group

Are uni exams all at the end of the year?

Like how A Levels are all in Summer is that the same case at university?

If not then its pretty funny how current uni student are saying that Gove's changes are good, having not experienced it - excluding freshmen. :tongue:
No, uni exams can be in January. :smile:
Not saying they will be, I do biomed and I have Jan exams, but, some of my friends at Royal Holloway who do Computer Science don't have Jan exams.
Depends on the uni + course. =)
Original post by Scienceisgood
No, uni exams can be in January. :smile:

Not saying they will be, I do biomed and I have Jan exams, but, some of my friends at Royal Holloway who do Computer Science don't have Jan exams.
Depends on the uni + course. =)

Oh right cool, so for Econ or Maths are the modules distributed throughout the year?
Usually it's at the end of the semester but occasionally it's end of year, like at my uni the biomeds only had summer exams for the first year but have January exams thereafter.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Oh right cool, so for Econ or Maths are the modules distributed throughout the year?

It will depend on your uni.

We have 3 exam periods at mine: January for Semester 1, June for Semester 2, and August for Semester 3/Resits.

Some modules also feature in class tests which aren't formal exams, but still go towards your final grade.
Original post by rayquaza17
It will depend on your uni.

We have 3 exam periods at mine: January for Semester 1, June for Semester 2, and August for Semester 3/Resits.

Some modules also feature in class tests which aren't formal exams, but still go towards your final grade.

That's awesome, are resits capped, or is it best mark taken forward?
That's awesome, are resits capped, or is it best mark taken forward?

Capped at 40%.
Capped at 40%.

Does that mean marks are capped at that, or that the grade for the exam is capped at that.

Btw whatever it is that's pretty harsh - note to self get everything right the first time round.

Can you not take exams at that time to spread the workload - or is it only for retakers only?
Does that mean marks are capped at that, or that the grade for the exam is capped at that.

Btw whatever it is that's pretty harsh - note to self get everything right the first time round.

Can you not take exams at that time to spread the workload - or is it only for retakers only?

I think the exams are capped at that, so you can get more than 40 if you got some marks on coursework.

It's quite scary tbh!

I think you can only take exams when everyone else does, except for retakes. Probably best to check your unis policy.
I think the exams are capped at that, so you can get more than 40 if you got some marks on coursework.

It's quite scary tbh!

I think you can only take exams when everyone else does, except for retakes. Probably best to check your unis policy.

So the marks out of 100 are capped at 40, is there even any point in retaking? Isn't 40/100 a third anyway?
So the marks out of 100 are capped at 40, is there even any point in retaking? Isn't 40/100 a third anyway?

If you have gotten less than 40 overall on your module you have to resit it.

Hypothetical situation:
Exam is worth 80%
Coursework is worth 20%
You get 100% on your coursework, but only get 30% in your exam. Your overall score is 44, but if you resit your exam and get the 40%, your overall score will now be 52 which is now a 2:2.

Yes, 40% is a third.
If you have gotten less than 40 overall on your module you have to resit it.

Hypothetical situation:
Exam is worth 80%
Coursework is worth 20%
You get 100% on your coursework, but only get 30% in your exam. Your overall score is 44, but if you resit your exam and get the 40%, your overall score will now be 52 which is now a 2:2.

Yes, 40% is a third.

Thanks for the information you clarified it a lot :smile:

I have no intention of doing this - but was thinking wouldn't it be better for someone to retake the year instead of taking a 40 for an exam?
Thanks for the information you clarified it a lot :smile:

I have no intention of doing this - but was thinking wouldn't it be better for someone to retake the year instead of taking a 40 for an exam?

Retake the year and spend an extra £9000?
You don't always get the option to retake the year, it's at your degree program leader's discretion.
You don't always get the option to retake the year, it's at your degree program leader's discretion.

+ accommodation...

+ accommodation...

Better than then come out with 2.2 or lower.

Oh right, I see.

Quick Reply