The Student Room Group

Chemistry - the hardest A-Level?

Hi! :hello:

I know I'm too young to exactly worry about A-Levels, but I have been thinking about them.

For a while, I've been thinking of doing Chemistry at A-Level. I kind of hated it in Year 7, but by now in Year 9 it has grown on me so much.

I have no idea why I like it. It's my second-, third- or fourth-favourite subject. I find it very hard at times, but not so hard sometimes. I'm not excellent at it (perhaps this is just my modesry talking, but I don't know), but I'd say I'm good at it.

My dad said that it is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, subject to do at A-Level. This might have put me off it a bit. Is it very difficult? Will I be able to survive it with a good grade?

Thank you very much. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophie !

I know I'm too young to exactly worry about A-Levels, but I have been thinking about them.

For a while, I've been thinking of doing Chemistry at A-Level. I kind of hated it in Year 7, but by now in Year 9 it has grown on me so much.

I have no idea why I like it. It's my second-, third- or fourth-favourite subject. I find it very hard at times, but not so hard sometimes. I'm not excellent at it (perhaps this is just my modesry talking, but I don't know), but I'd say I'm good at it.

My dad said that it is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, subject to do at A-Level. This might have put me off it a bit. Is it very difficult? Will I be able to survive it with a good grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It shouldn't really put you off. Chemistry is difficult but like most subjects as long as you put in the effort you should be fine. Obviously, since you're in year 9, there's no way to gauge whether or not you will be able to. Come back when you've finished your GCSEs perhaps :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by InadequateJusticex
It shouldn't really put you off. Chemistry is difficult but like most subjects as long as you put in the effort you should be fine. Obviously, since you're in year 9, there's no way to gauge whether or not you will be able to. Come back when you've finished your GCSEs perhaps :tongue:

True. Yes, haha, I've got plenty of time to worry about A-Levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! :tongue:

My friend has just done AS Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths & FM and he said that he was put of by Chemistry although he's really smart....

I think that if you like the subject, want to do a course relating to chem etc. You should do it!

I'm in Year 9 as well! I'm thinking of doing- Chemistry, Biology, Maths, FM & (depends on how crazy I am in Year 11 *rolls eyes*) Geography/language

I'm going to be on Year 9 thread for a while so we can chat if you like? Mr... and others are here as well :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually thought it was an easy a level to be honest. As long as you understand the fundamentals it just requires a very good memory plus good exam technique. Chemistry is one of those subjects where you either understand it or you don't. :smile: If you do triple science the transition to a level is much smaller.
Reply 5
Original post by 06shawm
I actually thought it was an easy a level to be honest. As long as you understand the fundamentals it just requires a very good memory plus good exam technique. Chemistry is one of those subjects where you either understand it or you don't. :smile: If you do triple science the transition to a level is much smaller.

I didn't really think triple science helped much, other than maybe having seen the haber process. I'd be inclined to agree with everything else you've said though - if you do get to grips with the understanding then you can tackle anything with the same logical approach. I liked that because it meant I didn't have to revise much, other than things like definitions.

The difficulty of a subject is subjective anyway, I think languages are probably one of the hardest courses you can do as they seem to require so much work. Personally, i'd be pretty useless at Physics :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Nymthae
I didn't really think triple science helped much, other than maybe having seen the haber process. I'd be inclined to agree with everything else you've said though - if you do get to grips with the understanding then you can tackle anything with the same logical approach. I liked that because it meant I didn't have to revise much, other than things like definitions.

The difficulty of a subject is subjective anyway, I think languages are probably one of the hardest courses you can do as they seem to require so much work. Personally, i'd be pretty useless at Physics :tongue:

The triple science may be exam board subjective. I did edexcel GCSE triple science and AQA A level chemistry and there was quite a lot of crossover at AS. Perhaps I should of worded it in terms of GCSE to AS :biggrin: Haha I would be useless at physics aswell. :tongue:
Chemistry is good fun at AS (I just finished) and not as difficult as people make it out to be. If you are good at understanding concepts and applying them, then it shouldn't be too hard. There is a lot of expanding on topics done at GCSE.
However, you should definitely wait until you get GCSE Chemistry done, as your results could change everything :smile:

Good luck!

PS Well done on looking at your future options - I wish I had had the initiative at your age :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by karmacrunch
Same! :tongue:

My friend has just done AS Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths & FM and he said that he was put of by Chemistry although he's really smart....

I think that if you like the subject, want to do a course relating to chem etc. You should do it!

I'm in Year 9 as well! I'm thinking of doing- Chemistry, Biology, Maths, FM & (depends on how crazy I am in Year 11 *rolls eyes*) Geography/language

I'm going to be on Year 9 thread for a while so we can chat if you like? Mr... and others are here as well :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay! I'm thinking of:
-A language (definitely) - either French or Spanish
-Chemistry
-Maths because a lot of science-related jobs require maths
-Biology / Psychology / Geography / Other language (in order of preference)
Reply 9
Original post by 06shawm
The triple science may be exam board subjective. I did edexcel GCSE triple science and AQA A level chemistry and there was quite a lot of crossover at AS. Perhaps I should of worded it in terms of GCSE to AS :biggrin: Haha I would be useless at physics aswell. :tongue:

This is good to hear considering I did Edexcel GCSE triple science and I will be doing the AQA syllabus for Chemistry at A Level.
ye its harder than the other sciences imo. Too many rules that contradict each other.
Reply 11
AS Chemistry is fine and not that much more difficult than GCSE IMO. I found the jump from AS to A2 a lot bigger, especially with the equilibria and acid-base topics. It varies from person to person, but I imagine Chemistry would rank near the top of the hardest A levels generally. Way too early for you to start thinking about this though.
Okay! I'm thinking of:
-A language (definitely) - either French or Spanish
-Chemistry
-Maths because a lot of science-related jobs require maths
-Biology / Psychology / Geography / Other language (in order of preference)

Ah pretty similar then! :biggrin:

Also remember that they might be reforming our A-Levels so I don't know what will happen... :/
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You're clearly very keen about planning ahead, which is great. If you want to make the transition to A-Levels easier, do some background reading on moles (in a chemistry-sense :wink: ) and understand what they are, how to calculate them from concentrations and how molar quantities interact.
Original post by Decerto
This is good to hear considering I did Edexcel GCSE triple science and I will be doing the AQA syllabus for Chemistry at A Level.

You should find the jump to AS not that difficult to be honest. I would say the C3 extension unit will help you most with the calculations that crop up during AS especially moles/concentration questions. Triple science is designed to bridge the gap to AS IMO. Do not underestimate chemistry though but as long as you remain focused it isn't particularly difficult, you have the joys of Bon haber cycles and 30 equations and colours to learn at A2. :biggrin: :tongue:

If you do want a head start this website is AQA A level chemistry specific and helps ALOT!!!!

http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/AQA%20Chemistry/AQA%20Chemistry%20home.html

And these revision books are excellent

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-AS-A2-Science-Chemistry/dp/0007268238
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-AS-A2-Science-Chemistry/dp/0007268246

Best of luck! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
The difficulty of the course varies depending on the individual. I found that there were some easier parts and some harder parts of the course. I found working out Molar Mass and working out equations a lot harder because I generally find maths difficult. However, I liked the essay work and I enjoyed the practical experiments. I still managed to get Merits and a Distinction with my chemistry exams despite not having a very high grade in GCSE Maths. I managed to set out all of my calculations clearly even if I could not work out the correct answer.

On the other hand, I think that Law is a more of a challenging subject. I was told that the subject matter itself is not too bad but the amount of work and detail that you have to put in to it to even be considered for a Distinction is a lot greater.
(edited 9 years ago)
Chemistry is AWESOME :biggrin:
Reply 18
I like Chemistry. I suppose that when you say/decide that you like a subject, you become more enthusiastic about it and that helps.

Whereas, I'm unsure whether I would say that I like Maths or not. Hardly anyone likes Maths in my class, so I am surrounded by people who are always saying that it is boring, difficult and pointless and I suppose that I'm swayed by them. If everyone around me liked Maths, I would be at least a bit more enthusiastic about it too.

I'm worried that Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and Biology for example would be too difficult because none of those are easy subjects. Personally, I find Spanish and Biology fairly easy, but this is only at GCSE level so this may well change. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like Chemistry. I suppose that when you say/decide that you like a subject, you become more enthusiastic about it and that helps.

Whereas, I'm unsure whether I would say that I like Maths or not. Hardly anyone likes Maths in my class, so I am surrounded by people who are always saying that it is boring, difficult and pointless and I suppose that I'm swayed by them. If everyone around me liked Maths, I would be at least a bit more enthusiastic about it too.

I'm worried that Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and Biology for example would be too difficult because none of those are easy subjects. Personally, I find Spanish and Biology fairly easy, but this is only at GCSE level so this may well change. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is one of those things that you will not know until I try. I did not think that I would find Biology harder than Chemistry. I preferred GCSE Biology to Chemistry at school. However, when I took the Biology over a year ago I only managed to Pass. Whereas, I managed to achieve overall Merits for all of the other subjects this year.

It also depends on what course at what university you want to do in the future. There are some Degrees where you only need one science. The science could be Biology, Chemistry, Psychics, or Maths. There are also some courses where you do not need any sciences. :smile:

I choose to take two main science subjects because I wanted a back up just incase I did not achieve a Merit in both sciences. I am really glad that I did that now.

Just to avoid confusion. I am doing the Access course that is equivalent to the A levels. Our teacher was always pointing out the units that were exactly the same as the A level students.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest