The Student Room Group

Are there any decent guys anymore that value marriage/commitment

Scroll to see replies

One such guy here. There are lots of us. You can get us on eBay for just $99.

Jk, we are everywhere though. We're not hard to find at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes of course, but they tend to be shy and often go unnoticed amongst the more boisterous individuals
Original post by MrEFeynman
They are generally more like yourself, timid. This isn't always true though. Watch out for people whom aren't afraid of disagreeing with the populist views. People who speak the truth even when others don't like it.

We do still exist, we are also easy to find. You girls just have too open your eyes and take a proper look.

Why do we have to watch out for them?
Lol good luck, all the atheist guys don't value marriage anymore. You just gotta wait til marriage
We do exist, you just need to find us lol

Original post by chukster97
all the atheist guys don't value marriage anymore

What a load of rubbish.
Original post by Limpopo
The only men who should get married are those who have nothing to loose and everything to gain. The law is so heavily weighted against men that it is no wonder that marriage is going out of fashion. The number of guys i know whos wives have bled them dry, walked out,divorced them and then came back to take them to the cleaners financially..and some have left because they have been having secret affairs behind theirs husbands back.

Many women are simply control freaks. They know once they have the ring, the children and the house that they hold the whip hand and the man can hardly move without explaining himself.

My best advice to the OP is to look for a guy at least five years older than herself.

Marriage is not about what you can get out of it, in my view.
Original post by RHyoudon'kno
Why do we have to watch out for them?

These are normally the more assertive individuals that fit the criteria, they also have a tendency to overthink things. You've probably been approached by one, more than once before, and not been able to distinguish their true intent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because you've probably been approached by one, more than once before, and not been able to distinguish their true intent.

Wait, so they sound innocent by being too 'truthful' only to be liars?
Wait, so they sound innocent by being too 'truthful' only to be liars?

No, their intentions when approaching you, are to find out how you react to them. They are normally carrying out the groundwork, to reduce the possibility of being turned down on the spot..
No, their intentions when approaching you, are to find out how you react to them. They are normally carrying out the groundwork, to reduce the possibility of being turned down on the spot..

Oh, right... misunderstood. :biggrin:
Oh, right... misunderstood. :biggrin:

It is easy to spot who likes you in a group setting, especially if they know they have competition for you (another individual who also likes you in that way).

The individuals normally become competitive.
It is easy to spot who likes you in a group setting, especially if they know they have competition for you (another individual who also likes you in that way).

The individuals normally become competitive.

That sounds piss taking for the person at the receiving end.
Reply 32
They are out there you just need to look get to know the lads and they are prob older as it is sad to say a lot of the younger lads are quite immature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by TurboCretin
Marriage is not about what you can get out of it, in my view.

I do appreciate your view but it may be a little idealistic?

Would you for instance marry someone who was unemployed with no prospect of a decent job? Would you marry a heroin addict? Would you marry someone who had three kids to different men and all because you loved them?

I doubt it.

We all tend to choose partners of similar standing to ourselves.

I am quite sure that when friends and colleagues married, they married people of similar standing and for love. They didnt think at the time that it would end in bitterness,acrimony and end with them being asset stripped by the female partner..but thats what happens.
Original post by Limpopo
I do appreciate your view but it may be a little idealistic?

Would you for instance marry someone who was unemployed with no prospect of a decent job? Would you marry a heroin addict? Would you marry someone who had three kids to different men and all because you loved them?

I doubt it.

We all tend to choose partners of similar standing to ourselves.

I am quite sure that when friends and colleagues married, they married people of similar standing and for love. They didnt think at the time that it would end in bitterness,acrimony and end with them being asset stripped by the female partner..but thats what happens.

It works because it goes both ways.

If you love the one you're with, you do what is necessary to make them happy. If my spouse wasn't doing that, then I would consider whether it was a basis for splitting.
You're not going to find a husband sitting there sulking on your computer.

I mean what do you think this is, a fairy tale where prince charming is going to jump through the window sweep you off of your feet and you'll ride into the sunset on his steed.

Ain't gonna ****in' happen. Put up or shut up.
I've already posted here but as the thread is still kicking around just thought I'd say that for me; marriage is pretty pointless.

Sure, it's a sign of commitment to someone but do you really need a sign if you and your partner know that you're both committed? If you do then you arguably have no real reason for it in the first place other than it being 'the norm'!
Original post by Anonymous
and aren't religious? Do they even exist? I'm 23, a virgin, don't drink etc. After I get my degree, I just want to settle down and have a family with a decent guy, but where to find them?

That's exactly what I want after my degree as well. You pretty much described my ideal life after university. But I often wonder, are there girls like this that don't go for bad boys/loud mouths and don't want to get drunk/party all the time?
lol at all the self proclaimed 'good guys'
Commitment? Yeah. Marriage? Nah. Oooh, let's blow loads of money on a ceremony for a bit of paper and a tax break. Waste of money and unnecessary for a commitment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending