The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squirb
Lol if I did that I'd get the 'don't you like your family?' lecture from my dad, it's not that I don't like you, it's that you're all annoying as ****. That's it, gotta aim high!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: That's essentially what I said, it drives me insane. I got shouted at this morning for running to the petrol pump (About a mile away) at 2am to get some oats for my fast as I was out and got shouted at for not telling anybody before I left. :s-smilie::rolleyes: As apparently I could have got stabbed.
Absolutely dire workout today. FAILED everything.

Squat: 112 x 5 x1
112.5 x 3 x 1
Dropped to 100 and did 2 sets of 5.

OHP: 42.5 x 3 x 1
Dropped to 37.5 and did 2 sets of 5.

DL: 125 got the bar like 2cm off the floor.
Dropped to 112.5 and did 1 set of 5.

I've been stuck on this for like 1.5 months, have repeatedly dropped weight by 10% and built up but no progress.

Been reading up about a new programme and will be doing Jim W 5/3/1 after I've read his book so Monday most likely.

Sick and tired of this ****ing stagnation.

I feel like I was Brazil today and the weight room was Germany, and Germany had their way with me. I feel exploited.

Reply 22
Nice work bro your deadlift might not be going up because you dont seem to be prioritising it....? Your doing 3 huge movements here and doing your deadlift last when your cns is probley destroyed at this point. Maybe do your lifts of the floor first .

Anyway good sesh bro and wendler is a decent program too.
Original post by Gior
Nice work bro your deadlift might not be going up because you dont seem to be prioritising it....? Your doing 3 huge movements here and doing your deadlift last when your cns is probley destroyed at this point. Maybe do your lifts of the floor first .

Anyway good sesh bro and wendler is a decent program too.

I'm off to make myself feel better by breaking my fast with some dates and water and then going for 2 portions of steak, chicken and chips at the local takeaway.
Original post by TSA
I'm off to make myself feel better by breaking my fast with some dates and water and then going for 2 portions of steak, chicken and chips at the local takeaway.

Are you bulking over Ramadan?
Your stagnation is not eating enough + Ramadan.
You need to eat more and probably add a bit of accessory. You've got a lot of noob gains left, keep on the linear progression my friend.
Failing that loads of guys are switching to ICF5X5 atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehforum
Are you bulking over Ramadan?

Yeah

Original post by Angry cucumber
Your stagnation is not eating enough + Ramadan.
You need to eat more and probably add a bit of accessory. You've got a lot of noob gains left, keep on the linear progression my friend.
Failing that loads of guys are switching to ICF5X5 atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been eating enough. I've actually technically been eating more since finishing at uni, as at uni, I use to cycle everywhere including the gym which was a good 3 miles either way. At home I do nothing other than go to the post office and occasionally out of town, but my calories have remained at 3000calories. This isn't just ramadan though, this has been happening for a while now.
Original post by TSA
Yeah

I have been eating enough. I've actually technically been eating more since finishing at uni, as at uni, I use to cycle everywhere including the gym which was a good 3 miles either way. At home I do nothing other than go to the post office and occasionally out of town, but my calories have remained at 3000calories. This isn't just ramadan though, this has been happening for a while now.

Are you honestly trying your hardest?
I can't see why your gains have stagnated for a period of 1-2 months!
Are you honestly trying your hardest?
I can't see why your gains have stagnated for a period of 1-2 months!

Yes, the gym has been the only thing this past year I have been giving 100% to consistently.

And yes I'm still bulking in ramadan. I'm perfectly happy bulking at the moment I weight just over 170lb.
Original post by TSA
Yes, the gym has been the only thing this past year I have been giving 100% to consistently.

And yes I'm still bulking in ramadan. I'm perfectly happy bulking at the moment I weight just over 170lb.

Is SS 3x a week?
Well hydrated?

I'd say up the protein and carbs. Maybe you're not recovering well enough.
Original post by TSA

Are you actually gaining weight though? I maintain whilst lifting at 3000 cals

Something is going wrong - it's either diet (protein or calories), recovery, mentality, form or lack of accessories... Your call :tongue:

Your lifts are still "noob" level (in the nicest possible way :smile: ) so you can milk the noob gain train more than you will be able to get on 531 which is perodisation and hence you might stall harder if you don't correct what's not right now.

That's my 2p, consider the above but I'm no gospel :smile:

Edit: you might not have actually stalled but as you're on Ramadan, you might just not be working at your full potential so to speak.
Anyways... See above :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Is SS 3x a week?
Well hydrated?

I'd say up the protein and carbs. Maybe you're not recovering well enough.

I'm having about 200g of protein. Sleep very well, as I don't have much to do other than occasionally packing up and posting parcels for eBay. In the small time frame I'm either drinking or eating. Like now I'm on my second steak, chicken and chips and drinking another half a litre of water.

Are you actually gaining weight though? I maintain whilst lifting at 3000 cals

Something is going wrong - it's either diet (protein or calories), recovery, mentality, form or lack of accessories... Your call :tongue:

Your lifts are still "noob" level (in the nicest possible way :smile: ) so you can milk the noob gain train more than you will be able to get on 531 which is perodisation and hence you might stall harder if you don't correct what's not right now.

That's my 2p, consider the above but I'm no gospel :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I gained 2.5lb in the last week. Which is a lot. I understand your advice but I genuinely think that this is as much as I can get from this and it's time to move on.
Original post by TSA
I'm having about 200g of protein. Sleep very well, as I don't have much to do other than occasionally packing up and posting parcels for eBay. In the small time frame I'm either drinking or eating. Like now I'm on my second steak, chicken and chips and drinking another half a litre of water.

Yes I gained 2.5lb in the last week. Which is a lot. I understand your advice but I genuinely think that this is as much as I can get from this and it's time to move on.

Do you do excessive warmups?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Up the calories by 500, and see once and for all whether you've underestimated your needs to make strength gains.

Fair does, I'd suggest you try ICF5X5 then over 531 but your call tbf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you do excessive warmups?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Up the calories by 500, and see once and for all whether you've underestimated your needs to make strength gains.

No for like 112.5 squat today I did.

20 x 5 x 2
40 x 5 x 1
60 x 3 x 1 (Sometimes just 1 x 1 depending on how I'm feeling)
Then work set.
It's not possible to up calories at the moment, I'm literally eating all the time.
Original post by TSA

20 x 5 x 2
40 x 5 x 1
Then work set.
It's not possible to up calories at the moment, I'm literally eating all the time.

eat PB and bread.

You might need a proper deload of cutting all your lifts by 50% for one week, then going back to your previous weights.
Original post by TSA

20 x 5 x 2
40 x 5 x 1
Then work set.

I'd actually say that's under warming up

I'd go 20 1 x 5
60 1 x 5
80 1 x 3
100 x 1-3
Then a set at 105 for a single if I felt I needed it

That jump of 50kg would make me struggle very hard aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd actually say that's under warming up

I'd go 20 1 x 5
60 1 x 5
80 1 x 3
100 x 1-3
Then a set at 105 for a single if I felt I needed it

That jump of 50kg would make me struggle very hard aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do bar x5
60kg x5
80kg x5

then work sets.

either way, under warming up isn't really an issue when OP can't do his worksets.
I'm going to be taking it easy on Friday, then over the weekend do all the reading for the 3/5/1 programme. Get a programme ready for Monday and hit Monday with the new programme.

I appreciate everyones advice but I've been on theses lifts for a while and I feel it's starting to take its tole on me mentally. It's pretty demotivating when you can't advance on the weights for weeks.
Original post by TSA
I'm going to be taking it easy on Friday, then over the weekend do all the reading for the 3/5/1 programme. Get a programme ready for Monday and hit Monday with the new programme.

I appreciate everyones advice but I've been on theses lifts for a while and I feel it's starting to take its tole on me mentally. It's pretty demotivating when you can't advance on the weights for weeks.

Maybe it's genetics.

But as long as you hopefully find something that works, then that's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest