The Student Room Group

I don't know if this is going to end up a scam or what to do?

I met a girl online, spoke to her for a while, and now we've been talking on Skype almost daily for a few weeks.

I've never met her, she lives in a difference country. She's really nice and I love talking to her, as well as being pretty attractive. We aren't dating or anything, although she's asked me to fly and visit her several times
However recently she just informed me she slept with the person she's been working for, and that she thinks she's pregnant, and I'm the only person she's told.

I don't know why she told me at all, and what she expected as a reponse, I honestly have no clue, however I was nice and all as I could be although I have no idea what to say.

She constantly goes on about how little money she has and needs money, although she never exactly says what for (I presume rent and stuff).

Is this beginning to look like its going to end up being a scam, where she starts asking for money etc to help her as she's already said the potential father won't?

I really like her, but I don't know? Any advice on what exactly I should do?

Scroll to see replies

What country is she from?
Reply 2
It's pretty simple, really. Whether she's from the UK right near you, or as far as blummin' Jupiter, don't be a muppet and send any money if the time arises that you're asked or prompted in any way - even if it's as far fetched as "for life saving treatment"!
Its a scam.
Does she actually look pregnant, cause chances are she's not.
Of course it's a scam. Somebody you've never met is making up a story to get money out of you. Stuff like this is how middle-aged women get conned out of money by men pretending to be in the army and needing money for their living costs and families, who promise a relationship when they get back from fighting in Afghanistan. These men trick these women out of thousands of pounds and this girl is trying to do the same to you. Block her now and move on.

Her money issues (real or not) are not your problem, and you shouldn't ever be giving money to somebody you don't know who feeds you a sob-story.
Never never never send money to anyone you've never met (just thought I'd state the obvious here, not insulting your ability to judge a situation!)

She might be being genuine, she might not. You could ask her directly or be pretty clear that you wont send money/pretend you're not well off and see how she responds. I would be cautious but wouldn't rule her out as a scam yet. You have been talking for a while; it's natural she might confide in you and it's also pretty natural that she might share her money worries with you without seeking anything in return. Just be cautious, play it by ear and be prepared to test her a bit to find out more.

EDIT: It also sounds like it might be quite hard for you to just ditch talking to her completely without knowing for sure so that's why I didn't suggest that. Really, test her a bit I guess.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I met a girl online, spoke to her for a while, and now we've been talking on Skype almost daily for a few weeks.

I've never met her, she lives in a difference country. She's really nice and I love talking to her, as well as being pretty attractive. We aren't dating or anything, although she's asked me to fly and visit her several times
However recently she just informed me she slept with the person she's been working for, and that she thinks she's pregnant, and I'm the only person she's told.

I don't know why she told me at all, and what she expected as a reponse, I honestly have no clue, however I was nice and all as I could be although I have no idea what to say.

She constantly goes on about how little money she has and needs money, although she never exactly says what for (I presume rent and stuff).

Is this beginning to look like its going to end up being a scam, where she starts asking for money etc to help her as she's already said the potential father won't?

I really like her, but I don't know? Any advice on what exactly I should do?

Give me the money and I will send it to her. If it's a scam I will return it for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by JindleBrey
What country is she from?

Romania :/

Bit dodgy I guess, I just feel really sorry for her.
Reply 8
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Its a scam.
Does she actually look pregnant, cause chances are she's not.

She said she thought she was but needed to go to the hospital to get a test, she said it happened a couple of nights ago so I can't tell from what she looks like at the moment
She said she thought she was but needed to go to the hospital to get a test, she said it happened a couple of nights ago so I can't tell from what she looks like at the moment

It is not physically possible to have a pregnancy confirmed after a couple of nights. She's a scam artist.
Original post by The Wild Youth
Never never never send money to anyone you've never met (just thought I'd state the obvious here, not insulting your ability to judge a situation!)

She might be being genuine, she might not. You could ask her directly or be pretty clear that you wont send money/pretend you're not well off and see how she responds. I would be cautious but wouldn't rule her out as a scam yet. You have been talking for a while; it's natural she might confide in you and it's also pretty natural that she might share her money worries with you without seeking anything in return. Just be cautious, play it by ear and be prepared to test her a bit to find out more.

EDIT: It also sounds like it might be quite hard for you to just ditch talking to her completely without knowing for sure so that's why I didn't suggest that. Really, test her a bit I guess.

How like blunt should I be, like "Sorry if this sounds rude, I know you have money troubles, but I don't have any to spare either, so if you are talking to me to try and get some cash your barking up the wrong tree?"
Original post by PrincePauper
Give me the money and I will send it to her. If it's a scam I will return it for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already gave it to a Nigerian guy who called earlier to fix my computer, next paycheck I'll let you know :cool:

I wasn't going to pay her anyway, I was just hoping it wasn't going to be as a scam, as like I said, I quite like her, and she's funny and cute to talk too.
she's funny and cute to talk too.

Why would a scam artist ever be anything other than that?
Romania :/

Lol she's a pikey. Do not do anything, delete her off Skype and get on with your life.

/thread
Just be honest; that way you have nothing to lose
How like blunt should I be, like "Sorry if this sounds rude, I know you have money troubles, but I don't have any to spare either, so if you are talking to me to try and get some cash your barking up the wrong tree?"

I think it's really up to you how you do it and how you think the best way to test the waters will be. If she's not a scammer imagine how she'd take that? On the other hand, if she's offended by it I think explaining your reasons as to why you said it is pretty good justification.

I do think a direct approach will be a good approach. Even if she says it's not what she's after and just wants to be your friend, I would still err on the side of caution. You can't really be sure...
I think it's really up to you how you do it and how you think the best way to test the waters will be. If she's not a scammer imagine how she'd take that? On the other hand, if she's offended by it I think explaining your reasons as to why you said it is pretty good justification.

I do think a direct approach will be a good approach. Even if she says it's not what she's after and just wants to be your friend, I would still err on the side of caution. You can't really be sure...

It doesn't matter how she'd take it. She shouldn't be asking people on the internet who she hasn't met before, for money. She should be worrying about how he's taken it (if she even exists). It's the internet; it doesn't matter at all and it's obviously a scam to get money from whoever she can get to feel sorry for her invented story.
Original post by Pectorac
It doesn't matter how she'd take it. She shouldn't be asking people on the internet who she hasn't met before, for money. She should be worrying about how he's taken it (if she even exists). It's the internet; it doesn't matter at all and it's obviously a scam to get money from whoever she can get to feel sorry for her invented story.

She does exist, I've seen and spoken to her through Skype.

I did say in the Original Post that she hasn't actually asked for money, I was just concerned that it might be leading towards that and was unsure of how to kind of approach it.

Okay thankyou, I'll try and be more subtle, if she mentions it again I'll chirp up and say I'm in the same boat or something like that rather than directly confronting her.
Whether this is a scam or not, it's probably not going to benefit you getting attached to someone you've never met! But, scam artists can make a living just by scamming alone and so they have the time to talk to you for a while, get you interested and comfortable, and then begin asking for money. They need this bond to guilt trip you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending