The Student Room Group

The hardest courses for admissions are those with October Deadline

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Work experience just means giving some of your time, literally takes no physical or mental effort whatsoever

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sincerely hope this is a troll. After getting over 30 weeks of work experience for my vetmed application this year (no I have not taken a gap year and I know for a fact there are many people with more weeks than me) I think people who claim our work experience requires 'no physical effort whatsoever' have clearly never had to handle skittish horses or cattle, wrestle sheep, work exhausting hours at an animal shelter or restrain angry cats (pretty much every cat at the vets!). Also if you've put in 'no mental effort whatsoever' good luck when tackling interview interrogation on your experience :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by ando181
I find its the ones who don't actually have a passion for the subject and are going into medicine/dentistry for the status and salary dont get through interview stage and often dont get the grades

Oh that's rubbish. Almost all medics have "a passion" for it as a retrospective construct. You can bet that if neuroscience had the same pay and kudos, they'd all be falling over one another to be chopping skulls open.
Original post by Xotol
I can taste the envy. :proud:

i have a conditional offer from imperial (physics) doe.
i know you doctors are jealous of our logical reasoning/spatial skills. keep looking at your MRI scans without understanding how they're produced. :giggle:
Reply 23
Original post by ando181
TBH 21k starting salary for a 5 year degree and working insane hours for years after medical school doesn't really seem like something people should envy

Dat reputation doe. DAT societal status and respect.
Original post by Clip
Oh that's rubbish. Almost all medics have "a passion" for it as a retrospective construct. You can bet that if neuroscience had the same pay and kudos, they'd all be falling over one another to be chopping skulls open.

Just speaking from what I've seen. A LOT of people from my college came into sixth form saying either 'I want to do dentistry' or 'I want to do medicine', those who were in it for status and salary didnt get the AAA predictions and those that did failed at interview
Original post by Xotol

You think people are going to respect you JUST because you're a doctor? lmfao
Dentists have a similar social status and work half your hours and get paid twice as much as you. Besides, people call GPs useless and lazy all the time.
Original post by Xotol
I can taste the envy. :proud:

Good luck with your brain dead course.

Anyone with an ounce of intellectual ability and curiosity would immediately revolt to the idea of rote memorizing textbooks for 5-7 years of their life.

Before you come up with the awful excuse " but doctors have a billion a*'s at A level " just stop, grab a gun, and shoot yourself. A Levels don't count for **** when compared to doing research and studying a subject at its forefront, which you will never do seeing as you will repeatedly carry out work that has been done by hundreds before you.

I appreciate Doctors but I just find it frustrating when they are seen as intellectual God's. Rant over.
Original post by Xotol

Oh god if only my medic friends could see this! You're going to love training after medical school:wink:
Reply 28
Original post by ando181
You think people are going to respect you JUST because you're a doctor? lmfao
Dentists have a similar social status and work half your hours and get paid twice as much as you. Besides, people call GPs useless and lazy all the time.

Original post by arrow900
Good luck with your brain dead course.

Anyone with an ounce of intellectual ability and curiosity would immediately revolt to the idea of rote memorizing textbooks for 5-7 years of their life.

Before you come up with the awful excuse " but doctors have a billion a*'s at A level " just stop, grab a gun, and shoot yourself. A Levels don't count for **** when compared to doing research and studying a subject at its forefront, which you will never do seeing as you will repeatedly carry out work that has been done by hundreds before you.

I appreciate Doctors but I just find it frustrating when they are seen as intellectual God's. Rant over.

Original post by andbegin
Oh god if only my medic friends could see this! You're going to love training after medical school:wink:

Gold :laugh:

Original post by dire wolf
i have a conditional offer from imperial (physics) doe.
i know you doctors are jealous of our logical reasoning/spatial skills. keep looking at your MRI scans without understanding how they're produced. :giggle:

We save lives doe. You fiddle with equations about space that have no practical application in the real world.

I AM TROLLING!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xotol
Gold :laugh:

We save lives doe. You fiddle with equations about space that have no practical application in the real world.

I AM TROLLING!

your literally stupid as hell
Agreed. Those courses ARE hardest to get into. Another thing, when people apply for the October deadline we have very little help/preparation/time to produce a great personal statement, in comparison to those working towards a January deadline. I remember there were all these workshops and programs held for January applicants. I began writing my personal statement in like July with very little idea as to what it is right/wrong. I also had very little experience and understanding as to how the UCAS thing works :frown:
Reply 31
Original post by dire wolf
your literally stupid as hell

:cry2:
Agreed. Those courses ARE hardest to get into. Another thing, when people apply for the October deadline we have very little help/preparation/time to produce a great personal statement, in comparison to those working towards a January deadline. I remember there were all these workshops and programs held for January applicants. I began writing my personal statement in like July with very little idea as to what it is right/wrong. I also had very little experience and understanding as to how the UCAS thing works :frown:
Original post by Xotol
:cry2:

alright lad im sorry but what you said was so stupid!! didnt you read the part about the MRI scanner?? we physicists created that. :smile:
With regards to admissions like the OP states, you're probably right.

Oxbridge and Med/Vet applications all require A LOT of preparation, there are a lot of hoops to jump through (extra tests, interviews, early UCAS submission),and the competition is very tough.

Compare that to the usual degree application - literally just filling out a UCAS form. (Of course some courses may interview, but they're few and far between)
Original post by ando181
Considering 60% of all medicine & Dentistry applications are unsuccessful, I doubt that.

Eastern europe disagrees.
Original post by ParetoOptimum
With regards to admissions like the OP states, you're probably right.

Oxbridge and Med/Vet applications all require A LOT of preparation, there are a lot of hoops to jump through (extra tests, interviews, early UCAS submission),and the competition is very tough.

Compare that to the usual degree application - literally just filling out a UCAS form. (Of course some courses may interview, but they're few and far between)

Its simply because their student numbers med/dent/vet are heavily controlled by the government. Dentistry student place numbers are going to decrease by 10% this year!! A*AA standard offer soon my ucas advisor at school thinks
Original post by somethingunique

That's weird. Logic would dictate that schools would direct a tonne of support towards Oxbridge and medicine/vet applicants. After all, 1) these courses are very hard to get onto and 2) There's nothing like boasting to prospective parents/teachers/employers about the number of successful Oxbridge/Medicine applications you oversaw

That's how my school operated. The medics/vets and Oxbridge applicants had workshops, mock interviews, one-on-one tutoring and so on, while the rest of us had to make do with a little help with our personal statement (if we asked for it)

Then again our school was used to sending a very large proportion of students off to medicine/vet school and Oxbridge so they had an efficient support system in place. I suspect for schools with very few to no students going to these places on average each year, they're under-supported.
Original post by shahbaz
Eastern europe disagrees.

LOL.
I have made a post about this, 'cant get AAA for UK medical/dental schools, BUY A DEGREE FROM EUROPE!'
Original post by ParetoOptimum
That's weird. Logic would dictate that schools would direct a tonne of support towards Oxbridge and medicine/vet applicants. After all, 1) these courses are very hard to get onto and 2) There's nothing like boasting to prospective parents/teachers/employers about the number of successful Oxbridge/Medicine applications you oversaw

That's how my school operated. The medics/vets and Oxbridge applicants had workshops, mock interviews, one-on-one tutoring and so on, while the rest of us had to make do with a little help with our personal statement (if we asked for it)

Then again our school was used to sending a very large proportion of students off to medicine/vet school and Oxbridge so they had an efficient support system in place. I suspect for schools with very few to no students going to these places on average each year, they're under-supported.

Did you not have dentistry applicants at your school?

Quick Reply

Latest