The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

Scroll to see replies

I'll echo what has already been said and think you're jumping into an intermediate program too early. I'm not surprised your deadlift is stalling when you do it 3rd, plus it's ramadan. You can't reasonably expect to progress during ramadan. You're going to the gym having had not enough sleep, no food/drink for a hell of a long time (seems like you're gyming in evening). You will not be at your best.

Progression requires adequate food and rest. You get neither during ramadan.

My advice would be to stick it out until the end of ramadan, then get yourself back into it with a good diet and good sleep, and add accessory movements. Many of us (myself included) have made excellent progress with ICF - though feel free to do something else,
ensure you're doing the key compounds + a few accessory movements each session.

I know several people who have moved on from beginners programs too early, and all of them regret it later down the line.
Reply 41
Ditto what illusionz has said. Wait until a few weeks after ramadan at least

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehforum
Maybe it's genetics.

But as long as you hopefully find something that works, then that's fine.

Damn them south Asian genetics.

Also feeling very sore today after the workout, much more than usual.
Original post by TSA
Damn them south Asian genetics.

Also feeling very sore today after the workout, much more than usual.

Your body is fried, not surprising given its Ramadan.

You break your fast at around 8?, and what time do you go to the gym?
Your body is fried, not surprising given its Ramadan.

You break your fast at around 8?, and what time do you go to the gym?

8 I wish. It was 9.34 today. I go to the gym about 7 well that's when I set off, I like to take a long slow walk so get there for about 7.20. Spend about 10 minutes putting my converse on as I don't like walking in them too much, and I find it extremely difficult to put them on (They're the high tops). And start workout about 7.30. It lasts about an hour to 1 hour 15. and walk home for about 9.10, pray. Update/Rant on log and eat.

Yeah first weeks workouts weren't too bad I think I'm on the third week and it's really starting to take its tole on me if I'm honest but after Friday, there's only about 10 days left so just got to push through it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by illusionz
I'll echo what has already been said and think you're jumping into an intermediate program too early. I'm not surprised your deadlift is stalling when you do it 3rd, plus it's ramadan. You can't reasonably expect to progress during ramadan. You're going to the gym having had not enough sleep, no food/drink for a hell of a long time (seems like you're gyming in evening). You will not be at your best.

Progression requires adequate food and rest. You get neither during ramadan.

My advice would be to stick it out until the end of ramadan, then get yourself back into it with a good diet and good sleep, and add accessory movements. Many of us (myself included) have made excellent progress with ICF - though feel free to do something else,
ensure you're doing the key compounds + a few accessory movements each session.

I know several people who have moved on from beginners programs too early, and all of them regret it later down the line.

The things is I've been stalling since before ramadan for a 1+ month now. The progress I was making at the start of ramadan wasn't really progress, I reset by 10% and was working my way up again.

I genuinely feel I cannot progress any more with this. It's really taking its tole on me, mentally having been stagnating for 1+ month now.
Original post by TSA
8 I wish. It was 9.34 today. I go to the gym about 7 well that's when I set off, I like to take a long slow walk so get there for about 7.20. Spend about 10 minutes putting my converse on as I don't like walking in them too much, and I find it extremely difficult to put them on (They're the high tops). And start workout about 7.30. It lasts about an hour to 1 hour 15. and walk home for about 9.10, pray. Update/Rant on log and eat.

Yeah first weeks workouts weren't too bad I think I'm on the third week and it's really starting to take its tole on me if I'm honest but after Friday, there's only about 10 days left so just got to push through it.

Your stagnating performance is unavoidable IMO.

Just keep at it, and I'm sure you can push through your plateaus after Ramadan.

Also, you know you can reset more than once. But save that for after ramadan.

for now, maintain your strength.
Your stagnating performance is unavoidable IMO.

Just keep at it, and I'm sure you can push through your plateaus after Ramadan.

Also, you know you can reset more than once. But save that for after ramadan.

for now, maintain your strength.

I'm really looking forward to the new programme, hopefully that should help me give me that extra push.

Jim Wendler seems to have similar thinking style to Rippetoe, in terms of strength training.
Original post by TSA
The things is I've been stalling since before ramadan for a 1+ month now. The progress I was making at the start of ramadan wasn't really progress, I reset by 10% and was working my way up again.

I genuinely feel I cannot progress any more with this. It's really taking its tole on me, mentally having been stagnating for 1+ month now.

What's your diet/sleep/recovery been like?

In Wendler's 5/3/1 you only increase the weight every month. That's slower than even incredibly bad progress on LP.

Obviously we can't stop you from trying it out, but I will reiterate that there are a lot of people out there who moved onto an intermediate program too soon and regretted it later on.
Original post by illusionz
What's your diet/sleep/recovery been like?

In Wendler's 5/3/1 you only increase the weight every month. That's slower than even incredibly bad progress on LP.

Obviously we can't stop you from trying it out, but I will reiterate that there are a lot of people out there who moved onto an intermediate program too soon and regretted it later on.

Pretty decent. I haven't been doing much over the holidays. I go out of town once/twice a week walking maybe a mile or two to pick up some phones. And go to the post office a few times a week which is round the corner from my house. That's essentially all the work I do.

I sleep a good 7.5-8.5 hours a day. However not exactly at the same time. Sometimes I sleep at about 3am, sometimes about 12/1pm. But do get enough sleep.

Diet has been reasonably good but has been a little hard to track as my mum cooks without measuring stuff so I take the closest equivalent in supermarket food. So if my makes curry I'll take the equivalent ready made meal and use nutritional info from that. That's only one meal though, breakfast and evening meal I usually make so is usually high in good source protein, good fats and low GI foods.

I'm not progressing slow, I'm stagnating and have been for a months plus. I'll take slow progress on top of that anytime.

I appreciate the advice but my minds made up about what I intend to do.
Original post by TSA
Absolutely dire workout today. FAILED everything.

Squat: 112 x 5 x1
112.5 x 3 x 1
Dropped to 100 and did 2 sets of 5.

OHP: 42.5 x 3 x 1
Dropped to 37.5 and did 2 sets of 5.

DL: 125 got the bar like 2cm off the floor.
Dropped to 112.5 and did 1 set of 5.

I've been stuck on this for like 1.5 months, have repeatedly dropped weight by 10% and built up but no progress.

Been reading up about a new programme and will be doing Jim W 5/3/1 after I've read his book so Monday most likely.

Sick and tired of this ****ing stagnation.

I feel like I was Brazil today and the weight room was Germany, and Germany had their way with me. I feel exploited.

bro, you gotta use that fine creatine or gorilla blood:cool: to get the gains of life
Original post by akashyasoraaa
bro, you gotta use that fine creatine or gorilla blood:cool: to get the gains of life

I do use creatine. No access to gorilla blood though. Would hamster blood suffice?
Are you actually getting 3000 calories (counting everything meticulously), or are you guessing?

Bench is probs form, I stalled around there for ages before I learnt proper grip, set up, form etc.

You're not ready for an intermediate program yet, your lifts aren't high enough.

Contrary to one of the posts I wouldn't deadlift first, you'll not be able to squat after. Benching first is fine though.

Have you tried deloading??
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Appeal to reason
Are you actually getting 3000 calories (counting everything meticulously), or are you guessing?

Bench is probs form, I stalled around there for ages before I learnt proper grip, set up, form etc.

You're not ready for an intermediate program yet, your lifts aren't high enough.

Contrary to one of the posts I wouldn't deadlift first, you'll not be able to squat after. Benching first is fine though.

No, but if I'm unsure I take a very conservative guess and eat more. I'm certain its 3000+

Yes, tried dropping the weight by 10% and working my way up, also spent one week of workouts on 50% of the weight, I usually do.
Original post by Appeal to reason

I had this last year, the best tip i had was to "pull the bar apart" and imagine the power was coming from my hands, huge improvement after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP, how much water are you drinking? To me it looks like your dehydrated.
Reset squat and deadlift by 10%

Squat and DL was a lot harder than expected.

Was a very warm they today so sweat a lot so probably a little dehydrated.

Bench was good, but I had a spot, don't know whether the existence of the spotter allowed me to push myself that little bit more knowing if I can't make it. The bar isn't going to drop and me roll back onto my trachea and slowly kill me.

Squat: 100 x 3 x 5

Bench 55 x 3 x 5

DL: 112.5 x 1 x 5 (Recorded this and my neck was hyperextending, need to focus on correcting this)

Still going on to start 5/3/1 on Monday.
Also fasting is really starting to take its toll on me. But only got one week left so just need to man the **** up and push through it.
Original post by TSA
Also fasting is really starting to take its toll on me. But only got one week left so just need to man the **** up and push through it.

took the words out of my mouth!
Original post by AreebWithaHat
took the words out of my mouth!

You can really feel it on workout days. The normal amount of energy just isn't there.

Quick Reply

Latest